Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Need an obscure remote code for a plasma TV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Need an obscure remote code for a plasma TV. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Digital Device plasma, got it running (that’s the brand name, ‘Digital Device’). Chassis is made by LG, about 5 years old. Got it working, but I have no remote for it. Problem is, I can only change channels and power on and off via the front buttons.

I used a scanning universal remote to find the codes, but the only button that works is the power button. 

I did find a menu activation button with the ‘FF’ button on the remote, and I see that the settings are very comprehensive, but they are all screwed up. For example, it has a color temperature button, and it’s set to 8000 degrees. The up and down and enter buttons, etc do not work, so while I can see the settings, I can’t access them. The colors are all wrong, as is the phase of the unit, and I see the retrace lines at the very top of the pix.

Any ideas on how to access the codes? I am going to go to the local stereo shop to buy a couple of new universal remotes to see if they have the codes, but there’s nothing on remotecentral.com or on the net about this company. Their website used to be www.digitaldevice.co.kr, but of course they are gone.

I do have one other identical set, so I was thinking maybe swapping over the CPU boards to see if the memory settings in the other set are closer to normal.

Any other brilliant ideas?
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried (or have) a Logitech Harmony remote? THose things have access to a ginormous data base of codes. What's the model number? I'll see if I can't find it.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital device is listed in the Harmony database
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit what's the link? Can't find anything on remotecentral.com.

The unit model number is: DPD-4210
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit more checking online, it seems to be the same as a Hyundai DPD4210. The hint is that the menu is changeable to about 8 different languages, and the other specs are bang on too.
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's through the Harmony software. If you get a harmony remote, you should be good to go. I tried searching around, and it doesn't seem you can tap that database without the software.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the model number I can download it into my Harmony remote and then learn the codes into my Pronto and e-mail you the ccf file.
Dan
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool!
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
I tried searching around, and it doesn't seem you can tap that database without the software.

Ooh, kinky! Thumbs Up
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt,
Do you have a remote that you can import a .ccf file from a Pronto into?
Dan
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I ahve a Pronto 1000 here...
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I pm'd you the ccf file. Let me know if there are any codes that you need that are not included with this file and I will see if I can figure out which button they are on the Harmony remote.
Dan
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not attach a ccf file to a PM so I e-mailed it to you
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that!
Trying tonight, will let you know.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, an inauspicious ending for this set. After running it for 24 hours and it looked OK, save for the off color due to the settings, I decided to take it to a buddy's place about 2 hours out of town. He wanted me to come up and look at his dead Mits CRT RP set, and while I had the s/manual on CD, I didn't think I'd get it running. So I figured I'd surprise him with a plasma, and I'd send him the remote later.

BTW, this set is really finicky with the input signal, it didn't like 1080i (V jitter), but 720p was fine. That's how I'd run it on the bench.

So I get up there, and he hasn't powered up his Mits for about 2 years, as it was dead. So I go to plug it in, let the CPU do it's thing firing up, and lo and behold, the set fires up just fine. He's bitching and cursing, as he hasn't had a large TV in about 2 years (!), and I'm laughing. I then tell him that I have a surprise for him in the truck. He's a bit blown over that I've brought him a plasma, and I tell him that it's not perfect, but at least now he has a backup.

So it happens to fit perfectly on his fireplace mantle, but his RCA cables are all too short, but we squeeze his DVD player beside the plasma, and I hook everything up. It's an archaic Samsung DVD, with an Svideo/480i/480p switch on the back of the unit. 480i looks all messed up on the plasma via component, then I see the switch, and 480p looks OK.

I notice that there's some glitching going on in the bottom left corner of the screen, snow and sparkles, etc. I ignore it, and go to do some tweaking for a bit, and all of a sudden... BANG! BANG! and the plasma goes out.

The Zsus board that I'd changed 2 days earlier died.

Now he's laughing his ASCII off at me. Tail between my legs, I pull the Zsus board, and will take another 4 hour round trip next week to either repair or replace the set. Go figure.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, yeah, aren't these flat panels just wonderful.

And that old Mitsu is still kickin. Funny thing is that even if the Mitsu needed repairs your probably lookin at maybe 50 bucks in new parts. And it would be as good as new. You can barely find used parts for a flat panel for minimum double that, and even then still blow it out or other boards again.

And now you have to hope its not a bad panel taking out that Z board. At least you can still get tubes for that CRT at a reasonable price. But I doubt you want to buy a panel, lol.

SOooooooooooo. Who says CRT is still not superior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think a bad panel can cause the Zsus to go bad? The 200 volt fuse blew, the 65 volt one was still OK, and the panel did fire up, albeit dim once I fired it back up. It ran fine for 24 hours before that.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though both sustain boards are directly related to the panel I doubt its a bad panel in your case. The Z-SUS is only responsible for the needed sustain pulses that give the picture its brightness globally. That is why you had a dim picture. Could be just the Z board but I would go through the P/S caps just to be sure, if you haven't already. Of course as you are finding out, any one of a number of boards can cause another board to fail. Many a new boards have been destroyed by trying just one board in a repair. Some manufacturers are recommending multiple board replacement as assurance of getting the bad boards replaced. Of course this is also why a plasma repair estimate can be in the area of 700 bucks or more.

But for the Z board I would just check those caps in the power supply and replace the board. Have you tried replacing any of those IPMs yet, lol?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot. You should be able to disconnect the power supply harness to the Z-SUS and the panel should come on with a dim picture and stay on. If not then you have something else going on.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's what I thought. Yes, found a short in the chip on the 200 volt line, so I left that fuse out, and the set powered up, but dimly like you said.

I know that shorted buffers can takeout the Ysus, but that hasn't happened to me yet. Smile

I did change an STK 795 successfully. It was a bitch though! Ended up using a coated safety pin to poke the holes out.

I'm guessing in this set is was juts my bad luck.. 120 miles out of town..
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: