Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What's the longest HDMI cable run you have?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: What's the longest HDMI cable run you have? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just wondering, what are the longest HDMI cable run folks have done without any degradation of signal or the usage of any type repeater (signal booster)?

wallace

Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Jeans cable supposedly goes 100' for their top-end.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
Blue Jeans cable supposedly goes 100' for their top-end.

Thanks.

That's what I am afraid of is the claim "supposed to work to 100' ". My run will be about 65', but I sure as heck would hate to buy the cable and find out it doesn't work.

wallace

robnec

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I have 35 ft long Monoprice HDMI, the thickest one, cable from their switcher to lcd tv. Never had any issues. I can recommend them without hesitation. Good luck with your tube search. I was trying to do the same last year without any success. I decided to keep my PG plus and I am happy with it. Robert.
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 50' monoprice cables, they are about as thick as a small garden hose and very stiff but work perfectly at 1080p24 and 1080p60.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=2804&seq=1&format=2#description

Chris.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDMI is unpredictable at long runs. I have installed 100' cables and they have worked, but other situations can't support 25' properly. Claims of support for long runs are just that, the cable may or may not work in a given installation. Whatever cable you get, be absolutely sure to test it before you pull it through the wall. Let it run for at least 30 minutes, and look at a 1080p black filed to see if there are any sparkles. Also look at a high bandwidth pattern on a test DVD to see if there are sparkles.

The Monoprice 22 gag Silver-Plated-Copper cable is the best cable out there. I have used more than 100 of these on installs ranging from 35' to 100'. All of the 35' ones have worked and most of the 50' ones have also worked. The 100' cables depend on the hardware and tend to work best with HDMI 1.3 spec.

I've used many other cables out there and have seriously found that the specific cable from Monoprice is actually the very best one available from any manufacturer at any price. If that doesn't work, get an HDMI to Cat5 converter. Geffen makes several and some obsolete models (such as the HDMI Extreme) that can be found used for less than $250. Lumagen is also about to release a VERY high quality Cat5 extender that will be around $500. There is also fiber optic that can be found used for around the same price.

Good luck.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
amangelomike

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think the longest length of certified HDMI cable seems to be about 10 meters under ideal conditions. Though I have a 15 meter ultralink HDMI cable that I run to my JVC projector with no problems. The actual usable length seems to be affected by several factors, including the quality of the cable and the technology used in the receiver. HDMI Ultralink also can go a long way. Not sure if it can go as long as the Dtrovision system but not everyone needs 300 feet.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amangelomike wrote:
Well I think the longest length of certified HDMI cable seems to be about 10 meters under ideal conditions. Though I have a 15 meter ultralink HDMI cable that I run to my JVC projector with no problems. The actual usable length seems to be affected by several factors, including the quality of the cable and the technology used in the receiver. HDMI Ultralink also can go a long way. Not sure if it can go as long as the Dtrovision system but not everyone needs 300 feet.
Certified, by whom? The specifications make minimal length requirements in order to use the HDMI marketing, but I am not aware of a maximum specification. Any reference you can provide would be appreciated.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought two 35 foot and one 25 foot cables from Monoprice. These are the better ones, 22 guage, but not the silver plated wire. For kicks I connected all three together with couplers and was able to pass 1080p from my PS3 to my TV over this 95 foot cable.
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AaronB wrote:
For kicks I connected all three together with couplers and was able to pass 1080p from my PS3 to my TV over this 95 foot cable.

This is impressive considering you would have had to have connected them with couplers and the purported signal loss would have ruined it.
a9a1c1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try the monoprice hdmi cat 5e/6 adapters, they will run you around 25 bucks with shipping, I have done over a 150 foot run at 1080p. there not in stock now but when they go back in stock grab them they sell out quickly. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=6584&seq=1&format=2. you need 2 cat 5e/6 cables to make it work. I love them, have 20 installed at a local steak shop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: