Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Access Panels and Covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Access Panels and Covers Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys, I am in need of a solution. I have a couple of openings in the basement drywall to give access to the main sewer line and the household water cut-off. I want to cover them with something the equivalent of an electrical panel door. I'll also be making additional openings in the finished (painted and trimmed) drywall for access to the dedicated basement water cut-off,the natural gas cut-off going to the deck, and the water PRV (pressure reducing valve), which is about 10-12" above the household water cut-off.

I wish there was something along the lines of how you can install low-voltage faceplates without needing an actual electrical box. That solution amounts to nothing more than a metal frame that frames the opening and provides screw holes for the faceplate. Anyone got any ideas?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of plastic access covers in a closet... It's two pieces: A ring you glue into the rough opening in the gyp, and the cover that snaps into the ring. They come white, but are paintable. They're designed for plumbing, so are typically in that section. There are two different sizes, about a 6x8 and about an 8x10 or so. There may be other sizes, too - those are just the two I have.

Oh, have you tried googling "wall access cover" or "plumbing access cover" or the like? I'm sure there are options.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of these in any size you can think of.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Cat/Flush-Universal-Access-Doors/607/List

Or ask for a DRYWALL access panel in any home improvment store and they should know what you need.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, Home depot even sells those flush mount access panels. just build a frame around the access hole by attaching 2x2 lumber to the backside of the drywall and then attach the panel door to that. a bit of PL100 will help the 2x2 grab onto the backside of the drywall along with some drywall screws that will be covered by the flange of the access door. painted the same colour as the wall those access panels are reasonably invisible.

for a slightly less industrial look, my builder did this to cover the cleanout access for the plumbing stack.

they take a 10x10 piece of MDF and cut a 7" circle in it and attach that to the wall over the hole in the drywall. they then velcro on a circular plastic plate centered on the MDF. looks pretty clean and can even match you millwork. i can snap a picture of it tonight if you want.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Watts spring fit as a quick/ cheap /dirty it looks nicer than the industrial flanged units and can be mounted on a rough opening in the drywall...easy to paint or paper as well.
Home Despot carries them.

for a really clean pro access door check out the Bauco plus, these are a drywall and frame unit that you mud and finish- more labour but super clean doors.

http://www.accesspanelsolutions.com/baucoplus.htm
View user's photo album (4 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow we're access door geeks here too. Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a cesspool of knowledge Wink

oh yeah, they are made here in B.C.

and I have one sitting on my bench in the basement Laughing
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly how are these products being installed? Unless I locate the studs and open a hole from stud to stud then I am lost on how one installs these. hopefully it isn't something like adhesive mounting products.

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is exactly what you do. Are you saying the drywall guys did not leave cut outs open for your valves?

Read Zaphod's post again if they did he's go the right way to install these. If they didn't well it's still not all that bad but it is a little more involved.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Watts covers I mentioned above have a set of spring loaded tabs on the back, the tabs push out agaist the rough openings edges to hold the panel in place. these are really handy if the opening has no clearance behind the drywall.

the bauco are not stud mounted, you cut an opening in the drywall between studs that is 1/4" bigger than the door -slide the door in on the diagonal,rotate it drop it flush against the drywall and screw into the frame to secure it. then you finish and paint.
you need to have 3-4" clearance to mount these in an existing wall.
Look on the web for Baucoplus mounting instructions it is simpler than it sounds if you want a really clean door.

here you go: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&ved=0CBEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.proproductssales.com%2Fdownloads%2Fbp_inst.pdf&rct=j&q=bauco+plus+mounting+instructions&ei=VUyNS7fVJozUsgOz8uTfAw&usg=AFQjCNEM7tgUgD6pr1XCqMTFj8fdTLjEqw
ThomasR75

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Wallo spring loaded round access panel for similar project last month:

p1060344.jpg
 Description:
Wallo spring loaded round access panel
 Filesize:  42.46 KB
 Viewed:  23095 Time(s)

p1060344.jpg

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of them. Where did you buy them?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They come in 4.75" and 9" diameters and available on amazon and from http://www.drywallaccesspanels.com/ Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: