Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Vizio p42hdtv10a - pop & fade. Picture of problem!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagmanm2

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Vizio p42hdtv10a - pop & fade. Picture of problem! Reply with quote

So, I've stalked the site trying to find a solution and have been so far unsuccessful. I don't like posting until I've searched pretty thoroughly for an answer. I know posting a question that's already been threaded is bad etiquette, but hopefully you guys can help. And if this has been answered thoroughly could you point me to that thread? Thanks

Ok, on to the problem: The TV is used as both a TV and monitor for our media PC in the living room. We were online and heard a popping noise. The picture went black and slooowly regained definition. It then popped again and we took a picture (see attached). Despite it's age, I'd like to fix it and have already taken it to a local shop and was told it was the 'v board'? I wasn't given repair part numbers, but I was told that he couldn't find a replacement part for that model, but a new part was available that *might* fix the issue. He was "pretty" sure, but not 100%. I figured I'd pay him the 20 diagnostic fee and see what I could see.

I'm not completely illiterate to these issues, and feel confident that with the right direction the problem can be solved! Before sending it off I removed the back panel and used my ohm reader to check the fuses. A 4a, 250v fuse was blown on the board mounted on the top right (if you're looking at the back of the plasma). I also visually checked all the other boards and capacitors and couldn't find any signs of shorts or blows. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, the repair shop still has my TV and I can't retrieve it until Monday.

The picture is now completely black (and as you can see it faded to black and white before dying completely... don't know if that's important). If I attempt to turn it on, it seems like I can hear a clicking noise (as if trying to ignite the plasma), but it never gets past that. Just from experience in other fields, I thought it was the power supply. Am I way off? Any and all help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Note. this is a thread I located on your forum and realized it didn't quite have the info I needed, nor did it show any conclusion to the issues discussed. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15333

Note2. this is another site that had some info, but once again I realized that I didn't have the necessary info to draw a similar conclusion. I really wish I had my TV back to make this more thorough, but I didn't want to wait on the post.
http://www.fixya.com/support/t4039585-getting_power_vizio_42_but_get_turned

Thanks in advance people!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: