Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Vizio GV47LF HDTV10A Black Screen Of Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Macgyver,

What happened was my wife was watching tv and she heard a loud pop. Now the screen is black and only the vizio symbol lights up. there is no sound and no picture. the model number is GV47L FHDTV10A. Thanks.
like I said earlier, I checked the power supply 5v 12v and 24v out and all that checked good was the 5v. Thanks.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of the power supply and any numbers on it. I may be able to get a print by comparison. The main manual doesn't have a print.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what your power supply looks like?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect the harnesses to the 2 inverter boards and see if your 24v comes back up.
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly. my part number is 0500-0507-0260. there is also a part number by the line input. DPS-47APA REV: S3
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my power supply
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russellw wrote:
Not exactly. my part number is 0500-0507-0260. there is also a part number by the line input. DPS-47APA REV: S3

It should be: DPS-475APA

Is that what it is?

Did you try disconnecting the inverters?
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your are right. I forgot the 5 in the part number. I disconnected all ouputs of the power supply and checked the 5v 12v and 24v. I got the same results. Only the 5v worked.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont disconnect all wires, just the harness from the power supply to the inverter. How many inverters does your set have? This model actually has over 3 variations with different supplies and inverters.

Also does the 24v come up for a few seconds when first plugged in and/or turned on?
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which one is the inverter? I am not really familiar with television layouts.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your model should have 2 inverters, a master and a slave. They would be the long skinny boards, 1 to the outer left side and 1 to the outer right side. Dont touch these boards when the set is plugged in. Just disconnect the power supply harnesses to these boards. The connectors should be marked with 12 or 24v, 5v, gnd, bl on/off and PWM dim. Here are some pics.
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i plugged the power supply back in and connnected the audio board (i think) and the main board. I left the two inverters unplugged. I did not get 24 v out of the power supply to the two inverters. the 12 volt out does not go to the two inverters it goes the main board only according to the power supply board writing.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

russellw wrote:
i plugged the power supply back in and connnected the audio board (i think) and the main board. I left the two inverters unplugged. I did not get 24 v out of the power supply to the two inverters. the 12 volt out does not go to the two inverters it goes the main board only according to the power supply board writing.

Some inverters run off 12v and some off 24v. So that's why I said either/or.

It does seem to point to the power supply. If you heard a pop sound then it could be a cap or a regulator/fet.

If it was a cap that popped then it should be visual like a vented top or split case. If no evidence of a cap then you should be checking the regulators. You should be able to easily find a bad one with your DMM.
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where would the regulators be?
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. I am going to go ahead and order the power supply board. I will let you know what the outcome is.

thanks again.
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell, sorry to say it got put to the side for a while. Nothing new to report and it has not been fixed yet. Seems like you are in better shape than me right now, I would check that power supply board on yours if everything else seems ok, just a guess. I may get back on it in the near future now that the holidays are over . Good luck, and let us know if you come up with anything.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All, in early December I suffered the consequences (again) of my neighbor taking a direct lightning strike. On my Vizio LCD flat panel, the #1 HDMI was damaged and would not show anything. If I left a source plugged into it (whether it was On or Off), the #2 HDMI input would not work as well. If I unplugged the source from the #1 HDMI input the #2 source would work. Crazy? Well ...

My Vizio plasma flat panel had the exact same thing happened to it in the same event. The #1 HDMI input was damaged and inputs #2/3/4 would not work as long as I had something plugged into input #1. In fact, not only were the consequences affecting other HDMI inputs, but all video inputs!!

I replaced the Vizio LCD with a Panasonic on Costco's dime and just living with the slightly damaged Vizio plasma.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news,

I replaced the power supply and am currently watching TV on my 47in Vizio. I may troubleshoot this board to component level. If I do, I will let you know what the bad actors were. thanks for all the help

Rus
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it going. How much were you able to pick up the supply for?
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$133 including shipping from tigerdirect.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: