Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HT-related electronics question (relays)...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: HT-related electronics question (relays)... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK, I need some help from you electronics boys... I'm getting close to getting my HT fully automated from my iPhone using Itai's (from AVS) iRule iPhone app... I'll start a new thread on that for anybody who's interested, but it talks to serial and IR devices over IP via a Global Caché GC-100 Network Adapter and to IP devices (like my prepro) directly.

One missing piece I'd like to resolve ASAP is turning the hush box on and off with the projector. The GC-100 has 3 dry contact relays... The quick start guide describes them like this:

Now, I've wired up a simple low-voltage circuit from an AMX controller for a 110V powered screen before... It was easy because the AMX controller has outputs that go high and low, and they're designed to drive a relay primary coil. Cake. The GC-100 is just a dry contact, so I don't know how to wire it...

The thing I'm concerned about... If I put, say a 12v wall wart in series with the GC-100's dry contact and the DC relay I bought, when the GC-100 closes the contact, it's basically a short-circuit, through the coil in my outboard relay right?

So, can somebody tell me how I can wire the wall wart with my relay so the dry contact won't just short through the relay coil.

Thanks!!!

If anybody's interested, I'd also be happy to start a new thread about iRule... I'm a beta tester and I'm really enjoying designing my own buttons and UI.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? I don't quite get the question.

Sounds like you're doing it right.

Consider your GC 100 relay simply as an on/off switch. Wire the external relay coil, the AC adapter and the GC 100 contacts all in series with each other. That's all there is to it.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so it's not a short circuit? Is the resistance high enough through the coil on the relay that it's just a standard load?

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry the relay or short the power supply.

Thanks, Curt!!!

SC
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before you go blowing stuff up...Wink

Assuming you've connected the power supply right to your screen trigger relay and it works, then put the GC100 in series with the supply and external relay and you're good to go.

As long as the power supply is rated at the same voltage as your external relay coil, you'll be fine.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll definitely test it before the throw the GC-100 in the loop.

The primary coil in the relay I bought is 12vdc @ 75mA. I was just going to scrounge up a wall wart around the house - 12v @ 200 or 300mA output. Maybe something from a cordless phone or something. The relay in the GC-100 is rated 24vdc@500mA, so I'm way good there. The switched circuit in my relay is 110vac@10A, and I'm just switching a Fantech fan that's probably only a couple of amps. So, I think I'm good to go.

SC
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i put in the hushbox ventilation i used a thermorelay 110 switch that turned the fan on when the temp hit 40'
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had actually planned on a thermostat-based solution... But, since I have the automation anyway, I thought I'd just use it. It's simple... It'll come on with the projector, and go off with the projector.

I think I'll put a temp alarm on the box though - just in case the fan would ever fail for any reason.

SC
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess. The alarm will ring your Iphone. You'll then use your Iphone to correct things.

Your monthly data bill will be astronomical! Very Happy
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that primary is only 75ma? That's not much current .
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Let me guess. The alarm will ring your Iphone. You'll then use your Iphone to correct things.

I hadn't thought of that, but that's a sweet idea! I actually could put a temp sensor in there that would generate an email. Hmmm.... Wink

Oh, and my data plan is "all you can eat". I surf all the time on it... Regularly use several hundred megabytes/month. Wink

Mac, I'm just going by the baggie the relay came in... Says the coil is 12v@75ma. Not much current, but then all that coil is doing is moving a tiny armature a few mm... It's RS part # 275-0218... I'd point you to the page on the site, but it's worthless as far as specs go.

SC
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I had actually planned on a thermostat-based solution... But, since I have the automation anyway, I thought I'd just use it. It's simple... It'll come on with the projector, and go off with the projector.

I think I'll put a temp alarm on the box though - just in case the fan would ever fail for any reason.

SC

i ended up with a dual switch system. one switch on the wall when i just wanted to turn on the fan, and the second swith was the relay. it's not a three way, it's two one switches Smile

what i liked about the thermo relay is that it ran when the PJ was hot. so i avoid a temperature spike when i shutdown the still hot PJ.

you could run both, turn on/off the fan with automation but have the relay keep the fan on until the PJ cooled down.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I thought about the temp after shut-down, too... But, will the temp really spike that much if you're keeping it plenty cool when it's running? I mean, the fan and water pump in your car don't keep running after you shut off the ignition! Wink

Seriously, though... Assuming my machine is running cooler than when it's hanging in free air already, how much temp bump does the box see? 10 or 15 degrees, and for maybe 10 or 15 minutes before it dissipates?

I didn't think about it, but I could do it with my automation system... Just wait 15 minutes or whatever.

SC
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know how much of a bump there is. good question. as for your car ... well if you have a model with guages, then after you turn off the engine, if you leave the key in the accessory position you will see the temperature guage rise before it starts to drop.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radiator fan will run on the car until the temperature is satisfied or the delay has been ran through.

I only know enough about relays and contacts to be dangerous but dry contacts are not meant to switch a power source. Is that what you are using it for?

You would normally get the contact from the controller to the auxiliary contact on the relay. When that contact closes (or opens) then it will actually switch the 120V to the fan. Maybe that is what you were talking about before anyway?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know the coolant temp climbs... There's a lot of mass immediately surrounding the cylinders that hasn't given up its heat yet when you cut the key...

greg_mitch wrote:
The radiator fan will run on the car until the temperature is satisfied or the delay has been ran through.

Yeah, if you have a car with an electric radiator. Even then, it's just cooling the engine compartment (somewhat) and the coolant in the radiator... The block isn't going to change much from the electric fan blowing on the radiator. Besides, don't those things just run for 10 or 15 seconds after you kill the ignition? I've never heard cars just sitting the parking lot running for a minute or two - even on sweltering days. I assume it runs just long enough to shed whatever heat is in the radiator/fluid itself so it isn't adding to the heat under the hood, because unless the water pump also continues to run, it isn't going to do much good other than to cool the radiator itself. But, anyway...

Yes, Greg - I know the dry contact just closes the low voltage loop to the coil in the relay, which in turn closes the 120v loop - and that they're totally separate. No, I'm not dumb enough to run a 110v circuit through my controller. My question was basically in that low-voltage loop, did anything else need to be in the circuit besides the controller (dry contact), relay, and power supply. Curt answered that question.

SC
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Greg,

yeah, i wasn't suggesting driving 120 through the relay Smile i grabbed myself a 120 rated disk switch that closes at a specific temp. for the live of me i can't remember what they are called.. sigh. old timers disease.

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
My question was basically in that low-voltage loop, did anything else need to be in the circuit besides the controller (dry contact), relay, and power supply. Curt answered that question.

SC

You should also put a diode in that circuit. It would go directly across the relays coil. The anode of the diode would go to the negative supply.

We sometime overlook that diode, but without it, when the relay is turned off, the coil collapses. When that happens there's a voltage spike that shoots back into the circuit that feeds the diode. For that reason, the diode is a protection device.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HT-related electronics question (relays)... Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I'm getting close to getting my HT fully automated from my iPhone using Itai's (from AVS) iRule iPhone app... I'll start a new thread on that for anybody who's interested,

I would like it if you would. I've considered setting this up as an alternate control as my wife is "this close" to just having her iPhone implanted! I can't think of a time when the distance between her and the iPhone exceeded 36"! Smile

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: