Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

09MEX3 tubes in a marquee??? Can it be done
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well Aferg, the person i got the tubes from just moded one of his marquee VNB's and use all the Thompson magnetics like I have on the Thomas (sony pin out) tubes and also got good focus and results with no arcing exept for the initial start up. So if any one else wants to experiment he still has tubes, some are ok others are not as good, i got 2 sets and only one red seems to have a wear pattern that may show up, but for free its definitely worth a shot for those who like to tinker and experiment, or if you have a set of old LC housing with spent tubes this could help you out. I think you can try to PM him on AVS. I'll see if he'll let me post his e-mail for anyone who wants them, it was about 40 bucks shipping from FL to Buffalo so not too bad for free tubes to experimant with that are better than 7-8's on the wear chart from the ones i got at least.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the 6 new Thomas tubes, they came with a test sheet and specs I'll scan them later today or tomorrow for the tube experts to analyze. They look really nice Phosphor wise, smooth. I have no idea when I will get to putting these into LC housings and Modding the two other Neck Boards for full testing. I need to start one project and finish it !! i have way to many going on at once !

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't had time to scan those documents or take pics of the new Thomas tubes. But I have gotten around to test the old tube that was arcing a bit internally. I did as some older posts suggested and tapped the neck of the tube while i had it running and I think i knocked off the crud and or burned it up, i few arcs right in a row and then nice and clean operation for 20 minutes. This tube does focus nicely even with out the magnets put on correctly, i just have them slipped on for testing. The G2 does need to be turned down lower than 50. I think this could be a good thing so as the tube age you may be able to get more life by increasing G2 a bit more than with the LCP's.

On Another Note, what happened to Voodoo? I have hijacked hi thread and we have not heard from him in a very long time. I hope he is well. And That his thread ispired me to research this further.

So if this works with the Sony Pin out Thomas Tubes they should work for regular 09MEX3 tubes as well.

I think I should add this modification to my Marquee Thread since it is a modification.

Aferg still has the new tubes if anyone is intrested.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed the deflection coils fit and the raster is the right size.

The bell of the tubes are completely different.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using 8 inch magnetics also, so they do not fit as snug like they do on the 180DMB tubes, however they do work. CRT_ben is also using these tubes. I did have to use the size control to shrink the raster but this is a good thing i think, with a marquee the closer you get to 100 % size it causes issues with geometry and flaky stability. And yes the bells are completely different shape, more narrow. But they do work, i guess the magnetic field is strong enough even though there is a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap from the edge of the deflection coil to the bell housing.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Guys, I finally took some pics of the Thomas tubes.

Spec/test Sheets

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Wink

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Last edited by Nashou66 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:36 pm; edited 6 times in total
voodoo7869

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see you have been very busy nice work and great pics. I am sorrry I have been out of town on buisness. I only had power about an hour a day. it sucked but I am back so party on.

you are probably right that a 9 inch yoke will likely provide better control over the 8 inch. how would you say sharpness is compared to the standard marquee?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW your back!!! people have been wondering where you are!! Well At least I have been I kinda took over your thread. Very Happy But Sony pin outs can be done as you can see from the mod instructions I have made up so if the thomas tubes with Sony pinouts works a regular 09mex3 should also work. Do you still have the Sony tubes to try this with?

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some were wondering if these could work together with stock tubes, I think they can:

Ok I just went down to my test PJ and looked at the Thomas tubes grid compared to the other two LCP's and they match up size wise. I also decided to test the focus, but remember I do not have CPC magnets on the thomas tube and all magnetics are just slid on there not permanent , the LCPS are focusing around 26 and the thomas at 55, so there is plenty of room for adjustment and you can tweek them all in the service menu's individual focus section. And they do get nice and tight by just looking into the tube as I cant put a lens on it since its just sitting on top of the PJ and not mounted in it.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Curt this thread has some pics of the thomas tubes you wanted to see, along with the spec sheets. I asked Thomas Electronics if they can re arange the pin outs to the LUG style, lets hope they can do it at a fair price, if they can I might unload a few sets for a much better price than stock LUG's. Cliff is on the list first.

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

PaulB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Nash! Thumbs Up

Fingers crossed.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that anyone is interested in AmPro's but in my experiance with one of these tubes, they work fine. I had a perfectly set up 4600 in the shop. I had to steal the green tube out of it to replace one that imploded on another projector. I was given a used one to experiment with. After mounting it and doing a two hour neck board mod, it worked perfectly with the raster centered and the raster size was about the same. Focus on the tube face looks fine but it has not had a lens on it and looked at on screen.

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead lamp walking..............

Better to lose a lamp than a CRT !

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1921845

Wink
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Ok I did the VNB mod and got the tubes to work now remember these are Hybrid tubes
that have the same pinouts as a sony tube. I will add pics from each gun that were
supplied to me by Scott. I also will say this is still an ongoing test since i do not have
the tubes properly mounted on LC housings for cooling so it was a very short test maybe
a few minutes or less. So if anyone tries this and messes up I warned you. But Ben confirmed
it to some extent that he did the same thing to his with a different variation but essentially the same.

Ok here is the standard panasonic tube Gun of a Marquee:

Now this is a standard sony tube Gun

And now the Hybrid tube I have

As you can see from the above pics the sony and the Hybrid( Thomas) tube have the Arc/spark
Suppressor, this is what must be grounded to a high value resistor, TSE suggested 10k- 1M(bens value)
I used a 100K carbon from the one removed off the VNB when i did the ceramic resistor swap.

here is a pic of the VNB after i drilled out the PCB for the two extra pins and the new large hole
for the G2 connector. first you must remove the pin from that location by just heating it with
the soldering iron it comes right out.

New holes for sony pinouts

Pin 5 In new Home

Cut traces of pins 6,7,8,9,10

All traces Cut

Jumper from SG2 to G1 pin location

Jumper from SG1 to cathode pin location (VNB pin 10 on the tube its pin 9)

The heaters come off of the two ferrite beads FB1 and FB2, these conduct heat so
work fast as the bead will move while soldering, you could maybe put some hot glue
on the opposite side to hold in place if you have trouble with it moving.

Connecting a heater jumper

Both heater jumpers in place

And the final hook up with the 100k resistor to ground from the
ARC suppressor pin and the G2 hooked up.

After your done CRT Ben said he potted it with hot glue over the pins that were
exposed close to the jumpers( pins 6.7.8.9.10) this will help prevent any arcing between them.

Hopefully more will have success with this, once i get a set of LC housing i plan to fully
test a tube longer than this initial test. So this should do it for any sony Pinout tube in a Marquee !!

Athanasios

What happened to all the pix Shocked
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Apple switched its its .mac home page to the new mobile me they shut down the hosting site. I have to go back and re edit them for the new site. it might take some time for me to figure out the right pics for the instructions.

I hope that the new Cloud which will automatically switch my mobile me account over doesnt do the same thing.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
When Apple switched its its .mac home page to the new mobile me they shut down the hosting site. I have to go back and re edit them for the new site. it might take some time for me to figure out the right pics for the instructions.

I hope that the new Cloud which will automatically switch my mobile me account over doesnt do the same thing.

Athanasios

Don't you just love unilateral decisions Laughing

That is useful information look forward to seeing it rectified. Thanks for working through this in the first place.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All pics back and in the next post too of the testing.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athanasios -

Looks like your pics got dumped again. The 9" tubes I got from CJ I think are these same Thomas tubes, but I have no real idea yet. I figure to find them good homes I ought to help people know what to do with them! If you need me to clean them up and re-post or host them on my server, let me know.

cheers,
Matt
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
Athanasios -

Looks like your pics got dumped again. The 9" tubes I got from CJ I think are these same Thomas tubes, but I have no real idea yet. I figure to find them good homes I ought to help people know what to do with them! If you need me to clean them up and re-post or host them on my server, let me know.

cheers,
Matt

All my pics I had hosted on Apples Gallery. That ended with the end of mobileMe and iCloud does not have hosting.

I have a Mac Mini Server id like to host my own site on but unsure of how to go about it. I know there are ways to host a site with out having a static IP address given by the ISP. Here is a site i found http://dyn.com/dns/ I think I might go this route but might need some help.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics back up for some posts.

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: