Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

[XGLC] Recommended Screen Size and Output Resolution

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: [XGLC] Recommended Screen Size and Output Resolution Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Morning All,

I was wondering what the recommended screen size and output resolution range might be for an NEC XG1351 project with new tubes.

I'm figuring, but not completely sure, if the raster should be setup for 16:9 format. The sources will ultimately be Blu-ray (standalone player or PS3), and DirecTV-sourced HDTV. The satellite source might be piped to something other than this CRT and as such want to focus on BD sourced content.

I'm guessing the screen size recommendation will determine the approximate placement distance from the screen wall. I intend to use a fixed screen as this will be a dedicated room with light control. I'm not someone that needs a terrible amount of light as my eyes are crazy sensitive to light.

BTW, I have not chosen a screen material, not even a screen type (flat vs. curved). I am not looking to produce an image that will satisfy a room full of viewers, but one that will satisfy the wife and myself--interpret that as being a curved-friendly household.

Anyone? Bueller?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan,
I have the same model as you. With an XG/PS3 combo your choices for resolution really can only be 1080i or 720p. For Blu-ray IMO at 720p an XG is way too sharp and you can see scan lines at 12'-14'. At 1080p the sync timings out of the PS3 are not to the liking of an XG and you will get a very bad fold over. Now on my projector I could see scan lines even at 10' with 1080i so that left me the choice of either buy a scaler or use an HTPC with custom timings. I choose to go with an HTPC this also saves the money/headache of a Moome or HDFury. I can send the projector a plain old analog signal. Presently I’m scaling 1080p down to 1600X900p@72Hz (71.928) and feel the loss of resolution is made up in added sharpness and smooth pans.

For direct TV, that’s a problem because you will either need Moome or HDFury because a 1351 only has RGBHV input, and your pretty much stuck with 1080i unless you go with an outboard scaler.

For screen size I would not go over 16:9 - 92" wide max…It’s bright enough but not blinding for sure. My throw for 92” wide screen is 10’2”.

Mike

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Wan I give my 2 cents here. The Wilsonart screen is really nice in my opinion. The size of the screen is more or less dictated by 2 things, 1 how big is the wall you are going to be putting t*t on? 2 what lenses do you have. I found that a 100" diagonal screen is to small for my Marquee 9500 GT 17 lenses. The lenses were at the limits of their adjustments. see this thread.

http://curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16735

That and this

http://curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213783#213783

Now since the XG 135 is an 8" inch machine I am guessing that 8 ft wide would be a really nice Size.

So a 54"x96" 16x9 is my thought for size, and Wilsonart for the screen. It not hard to do but if your not comfortable building it any counter top shop could do it cheap, or any decent contractor, like the guys who did your trim work,if the were good.

Others will know more but that's my input.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have concerns over using iNtErLaCeD resolutions. On my NEC 6PG (ahem, GE Imager 601s) I swear I can see the image jumping up and down. Is it my imagination or am I seeing the two fields within the frame as they project slightly out of place (vertically)? Keep in mind I am one of those a-holes that easily see DLP rainbows, and one of those a-holes who's vision is easily queued off of visual distractions.

I was thinking about out-sourcing the HDTV material to another projector as it'll undoubtedly never be critically viewed because of source limitations (e.g. crushed blacks), but I also wonder if that can be said, in part, to the non-HTPC method of Blu-ray delivery. Keep in mind while I had less than stellar success in the past with HTPC for Blu-ray, this doesn't mean I am entirely against it again. Nor am I against considering an outboard scaler (Lumagen HDP?).

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I have concerns over using iNtErLaCeD resolutions. On my NEC 6PG (ahem, GE Imager 601s) I swear I can see the image jumping up and down. Is it my imagination or am I seeing the two fields within the frame as they project slightly out of place (vertically)? Keep in mind I am one of those a-holes that easily see DLP rainbows, and one of those a-holes who's vision is easily queued off of visual distractions.

I was thinking about out-sourcing the HDTV material to another projector as it'll undoubtedly never be critically viewed because of source limitations (e.g. crushed blacks), but I also wonder if that can be said, in part, to the non-HTPC method of Blu-ray delivery. Keep in mind while I had less than stellar success in the past with HTPC for Blu-ray, this doesn't mean I am entirely against it again. Nor am I against considering an outboard scaler (Lumagen HDP?).

I can understand your point on HTPC’s perhaps a scaler might be the right choice….The HTPC days have changed a lot since the days of Windows 98. IMO they are very stable with some caveats… The commercial software players for BD are IMO crap. PowerDVD 7.3 with the latest patches was not too bad, 9 IMO is piece of junk. Unfortunately 7.3 won’t work in Windows 7 at least the RC version I’m currently running didn’t.

My present HTPC doesn’t even have a BD drive. I rip everything to my media server upstairs first then watch it. The whole ripping process has become so easy it only takes a few clicks and about an hour of processing. Then I have access to all my HD movies anywhere in the house with a few clicks on the remote...Not more messing around changing disks and fiddling with them in the dark.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the screen, that is a personal preference. You say you can live with lower ft/lmbs, so you can go fairly large. how big is your room? If you don't mind a curved screen, then you can go larger as well as have better uniformity.

As for resolution, I knew someone who ran everything at 1440x960 on his XG. When he moved to a G90, he said 1080p didn't look much noticeably better.
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my XG-LC at 1080i 96hz on a 2.1m wide flat (gesso on blockout) screen.

1080i 96hz is the same as 1080p 48hz without the flicker.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, are you doing 96 Hz from an outboard scaler or from an HTPC?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTPC
yonexsp

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
I run my XG-LC at 1080i 96hz on a 2.1m wide flat (gesso on blockout) screen.

1080i 96hz is the same as 1080p 48hz without the flicker.

+1 Same here, tried them all and this is the way to go
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: