Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sporadic H-Fail on Marquee 8500 (Cant find failure)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loknar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Sporadic H-Fail on Marquee 8500 (Cant find failure) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,
2 years ago i bought an used Marquee 8500 with 3800hours (in Germany). I changed the fans (Ebm Papst with higher air flow) and did the anamorphic mod. It was running very well at 1920x1080@72hz until the last month.

Since last month the Marquee lost sync sporadicly, the picture went black and the H-Fail Led went on for about 5 to 10 seconds. After this the Projector went to normal. Sometimes the failure doesn't occur at all during 2 movies (Projector running for approx 4hours) and sometimes it's happening after 15min and then occurs every 10 to 15 minutes.

I searched the web for topics with similar problems and tried the advices that were given in these topics. So far i cleaned the contacts of the HDM and its daughter board, changed the electrolyte capacitors on the HDM with higher temperature rating Samsung capacitors and changed the transistor Q501 on the daughter-board.

But I still get the sporadic H-Fail and i don't know what to do next. Are there any other components in the Marquee that can be responsible for this behavior?

I'm also searching for an second HDM to test if the problem is really from the HDM, but it seems that their are quite scarce in Germany (Missed one on eBay for 80€ during my vacation Crying or Very sad).

P.S. Sorry for my rough English, as you may have noticed I'm German Wink
Revox

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I am german to, you got a PM exclusive in german.

A short version:

"try to re soldier the whole HDM"

Stefan
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the CLM and then the DPB which is connected to it. Clean all chips on both boards and pay attention to U7 on the DPB. Also check the solder joints for both the CLM and DPB where they mate together. And you should also do as Revox said and solder all the mosfets on the HDM.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Revox

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case it was not a bad solder point on one of the mosfet's!
Loknar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I try to re-solder the parts over the weekend.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would not try to resolder the entire HDM. Bad solder joints are very rare on Marquees, you're better off doing a board swap to see where the problem is. The fault can also be the CLM or VIM.
Revox

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem of the HDM is the mechanical forces because the "stuff" on the board is heavy weighted.
Resoldering needs 40minutes, i think it is a good idea to do this before searching the bug on the VIM or CLM.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I personally would not try to resolder the entire HDM. Bad solder joints are very rare on Marquees, you're better off doing a board swap to see where the problem is. The fault can also be the CLM or VIM.

Good call Curt!

The "H" fail indicator on the CLM does not always means the problem is the HDM. It can be as Curt indicated (CLM, VIM, LVPS), or it could also be a defective LVPS or HVPS.

Not sure what they were thinking with this indicator to simply label it "H fail" when it will illuminate from a number of things going wrong, and most of them have anything to do with the HDM (horizontal deflection module).

You're going to need a few boards to get to the bottom of this problem, with the first one being an HDM. From there, I would try next the CLM, VIM, HVPS.

And before you go that route, pull the front cover and see if any of the LED's on the LVPS illuminates at the same time that the "H fail" does.
Revox

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabe the fault comes with knocking on the HDM?
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Try padding the HDM sleeve cover to hold the edge of the board up into the connector. You could have a bad motherboard also.

Loknar

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. This forum is really busy.

I had the projector running yesterday for about 2,5hours waiting for the H-Fail, but as usual in this cases it didn't show. Tapping onto the HDM didn't produce the failure either.

I also remembered that the H-Fail was showing once, when i used a Wii via the component video input (Input 4) on the other video input module. So I think the VIM with the RGBHV connectors does not produce the failure (or at least not alone).

I'll keep trying to narrow the failure down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: