Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

35" RCA model F35731MB power issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deewaan1

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: 35" RCA model F35731MB power issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi I have a RCA 35" TV model F35731MB. I have a power issue with it whenever power to our home is interrupted. As long as power is available to the TV it powers on every time. But if there is a power failure I can't turn it on with either the remote or with the power button on the front. The only way I can get the TV to come back on is to open it up and disconnect the cable from the front control panel from the main board and wait a few minutes. Then I can power it on once I reconnect it. This last time it happened I had to remove a few other connectors on the main board and I heard what sounded like a relay click and I was able to fire it up again. Any idea what is locking up and not allowing it to power up?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a couple more days to finish moving and I'll give you some suggestions. Thats if you still need some help.. Smile
deewaan1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Give me a couple more days to finish moving and I'll give you some suggestions. Thats if you still need some help.. Smile

Sure, great! Thanks!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tv has the dreaded CTC169 chassis which is well known for a multitude of problems. There are a few parts that could be changed that are known for this problem but no guarantees. There are a few caps that need to be replaced. I have the location ids saved in my external hard drive. I'll try to locate them tomorrow.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long but I finally pulled the info on this. Here's what you need to change first and see what happens. Dont bother testing, just change.

C4108=39uf/100v, C4103=2.2uf/100v, C4101=15uf/50v and C4311=4.7uf/50v. Use exact values, dont change any. Post results and if problem still exists I'll give you further changes. Happy hunting... Smile

If any of these values are different then what you have, post your values before replacing.
deewaan1

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Sorry it took so long but I finally pulled the info on this. Here's what you need to change first and see what happens. Dont bother testing, just change.

C4108=39uf/100v, C4103=2.2uf/100v, C4101=15uf/50v and C4311=4.7uf/50v. Use exact values, dont change any. Post results and if problem still exists I'll give you further changes. Happy hunting... Smile

If any of these values are different then what you have, post your values before replacing.

Thanks! As soon as I get a chance I'll try that and let you know.
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One bit of advice: make sure you put in 105 degree caps....many low end sets used 85 degree caps (or just plain cheap caps )and any which are on the pc board close to heat producing devices such as power resistors or deflection transistor heat sinks tend to fail with leaked out dielectric or go high ESR after a few years.... if they are 105 Degree rated they'll last longer. Another spec to look for is "Low ESR". Good luck!

Dave
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted the PS35123 DOC...sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by HD-DAVE on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-DAVE wrote:
Here is a word DOC file containing common problems with Thompson / RCA sets that use the CTC169 chassis...I have a PS25123 and repaired it using this reference. Good luck!
Dave

You will find alot of info at various places for CTC169 chassis. The problem is there are a lot of variations of this chassis and you must also use the specific model number for repair info. The info you posted may have nothing to do with his set and it may not even have the components listed in that chart or they may be different value then stated.

The info I posted was specific to his chassis and model, but as I stated he must verify if the values in his set are the same as what I posted and if not then he should repost what his values are and the repair may then be different. These 169's are trickier then they appear and having incorrect info will make it even harder or not repair the set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: