Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FYI: ecrabb (SC) is now a moderator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
garyfritz wrote:
Uh-oh, there goes the neighborhood... Laughing

+1

Congrats! Thumbs Up

wallace

macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I'll just stop posting now........ Mr. Green

Well I would say congrats but I'm not sure its a promotion, almost like a demotion. Now instead of coming here and enjoying the reading you have to work now..... Smile

Plus I think you have to read every post now, dont you?

A position I would never want but if you enjoy it then more power to you. But it will be nice to have more people watching out for that spam crap. Anyways, good luck... Thumbs Up
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Mike... I'm not an IT/web developer type, so I'm out of my depth, here... But, can a bot automate the convoluted/complex process of registering a new account (username), activating it, then making a new post - all on a phpBB installation with variables such as version, install location, etc?

Yes. There are all sorts of downloadable programs that do exactly that as long as you use the standard install of phpBB (our forum software). They've even build readers for most of the the CAPTCHA's (having to type in those codes that are hard to read).

I was getting about 10 fake registrations/day due to this so I installed a new/easier registration for users that makes you have to answer an obvious question that I made up. Questions like:

What colour is an orange?
What the next number in the series: 0, 5, 10, __ ?
2 + 2 equals?
Spell out the number 2.
Fill in the blank: The planet we live on is called _____.

Bots can't answer these.

Bogus account registration has dropped from 10 day to 1-2/week. Note that these were not all spammers that were looking to post: A lot of sites will register and put their website in the account info so that it's listed on the members page. The more places that you have a URL listed or linked like this, the higher their google hit rate.

MikeEby wrote:
It’s been so long since I signed up I can't remember what it took...So I just looked at the sign up page…Looks like pretty standard stuff. Does a new member require email verification? That seems like it would slow down a few spammers.

Yes. You must acknowledge through email before you're enabled.

Quote:
Many sites now have what I call security images that protect against bots, random series of number and letters in an image that are only for the most part only human readable, I’m sure everyone here has seen them. Here is a little article I found that talks about them.

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/PHP/Security-Images-in-PHP/

That's CAPTCHA: Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart

Our forum software has it built in. It's been hacked by too many 'bots. There are better CATPCHA's (I had one installed before) but the better ones (ie: the more popular ones) have the exact same problem that they get too popular and then they get hacked.

Well, hacked isn't the right word: What I mean is that bots are taught how to read them so that bots can register automatically.

Quote:
Some sites require moderator approval before posting that could turn into a major job for a moderator and for some of the customers for vendors like Moome or HDFury, would be frustrating and only delay their answer for technical support questions.
Mike

I don't do that because that would require me to approve a lot of people all the time, and (as you said) causes delays in someone being able to post.

Kal

~fixed your quotes ~MOD Mr. Green

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Well congrats. Looks like you have a whole lot of responsibility doing nothing.

Gov't worker = Curt Palme moderator = oxymoron. Wink

Back to work Curt ! Wink Wink Wink

Oh and congratulations ! I think......................... Mr. Green
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom! Curt's quote was busted (missing a bracket) in your post, so I fixed it...

Man, this whole mod thing is actually little dangerous... You know that little "EDIT" button next to all your own posts? That bad boy is next to EVERY post when you have mod privileges! It can get a little confusing when somebody else quotes you, and you see something you wrote, and go to click the "edit" button. Damn... I gotta start actually paying attention to what I'm clicking on! Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Thanks, Tom! Curt's quote was busted (missing a bracket) in your post, so I fixed it...

Man, this whole mod thing is actually little dangerous... You know that little "EDIT" button next to all your own posts? That bad boy is next to EVERY post when you have mod privileges! It can get a little confusing when somebody else quotes you, and you see something you wrote, and go to click the "edit" button. Damn... I gotta start actually paying attention to what I'm clicking on! Wink

SC

Ok now try that and post 30-60 times a day. Now you see why I sometimes goof Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Ok now try that and post 30-60 times a day. Now you see why I sometimes goof Very Happy

Oh, yeah - I get that for sure... One thing... Moderator privileges or no, I will NOT be posting as much as you, Jeremy!

For one thing, I'd have to figure out a way to self-edit and write posts about 1/2 to 1/4 of the size I currently write. Wink

SC
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I self edit too. If I posted every smart azzed comment I came up with I'd have about 4000 more post's than I do now. Laughing
Some are just in very bad taste. Yes even too bad for me.

CRT.

HD done right!
Kiev Savoie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Steve. Have fun!
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a "un-moderated forum" Now look,
We have e'crab with de gun. How to pull de trigger with claws like dat? Laughing

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: FYI: ecrabb (SC) is now a moderator Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hey guys,
Steve (ecrabb) is now one of our moderators - congrats Steve!
As most of you know, we don't really moderate here at CurtPalme.com. Topics of discussion aren't nuked or managed. Steve's simply around to help out with the spammers and do other minor maintenance work.
Kal

is this a joke? I have nothing against anyone here but first thing Steve did was edit Clarence's post, 5th one down.There is no way in hell this will work out, too many people don't get along with Steve. I think moderators should be a little more even keeled and not so quick to flare up. For instance, I would make a bad moderator.
Otherwise Kal why not just invite the Kyser over and have him moderate? I have a feeling this will become one of those "open forum as long as you agree with the mod's" Sad
View user's photo album (2 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: FYI: ecrabb (SC) is now a moderator Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
kal wrote:
Hey guys,
Steve (ecrabb) is now one of our moderators - congrats Steve!
As most of you know, we don't really moderate here at CurtPalme.com. Topics of discussion aren't nuked or managed. Steve's simply around to help out with the spammers and do other minor maintenance work.
Kal

is this a joke? I have nothing against anyone here but first thing Steve did was edit Clarence's post, 5th one down.There is no way in hell this will work out, too many people don't get along with Steve. I think moderators should be a little more even keeled and not so quick to flare up. For instance, I would make a bad moderator.
Otherwise Kal why not just invite the Kyser over and have him moderate? I have a feeling this will become one of those "open forum as long as you agree with the mod's" Sad

Clarences edit was a joke. You must have missed that??

CRT.

HD done right!
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Steve, thanks for stepping up.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A joke **BY CLARENCE** unless I'm seriously mistaken. I thought it was absolutely brilliant and hilarious.

Steve is definitely on the conservative side, but he's intelligent and fair. I have no problem with him as a mod.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling SC!!! Calling SC !!!!! Spammer alert spammer alert!!!

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206687#206687

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Calling SC!!! Calling SC !!!!! Spammer alert spammer alert!!!

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206687#206687

Nashou

Awww it's gone. You need to play with them Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

I thought about it... But, it just felt so good to just hit the DELETE button. I'll work it next time, sensei! I'm sure I'll get the chance soon enough... Probably tomorrow the way things are going, lately.

SC
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

I thought about it... But, it just felt so good to just hit the DELETE button. I'll work it next time, sensei! I'm sure I'll get the chance soon enough... Probably tomorrow the way things are going, lately.

SC

I just did one in the HDFury forum lol

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17723&sid=3457f71438d0c6004861eed07576da00

then moved it to off topic

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: FYI: ecrabb (SC) is now a moderator Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

Wow. Just, wow. I almost don't even know what to say, Dragan. I know a couple of people have already pointed out that it was Clarence's joke, and that you obviously totally missed that... I thought about just letting this go, but I felt I should at least respond.

First of all, I'm totally surprised that you'd say too many people don't get along with me! Seriously? Who? I think in all my years here, I think I've only had one or two interactions where anything was even vaguely personal. The rest was political sparring, and I've always treated it as such. I've always tried to be respectful, and even if I get a little jazzed up and disagree, I could easily shake hands and have a beer with anybody in this forum; in some cases, I have!

I guess I'll just throw a couple thoughts out so you know where I stand. You can do what you please with them.

A) This forum is - and from what I can tell probably never will be - "moderated". It's the main reason I love this forum, and why I joined up right after Kal and Curt created it. There's a real sense here of free speech, expression, and more important - camaraderie. I would never do anything to change that.

B) I have no intention of "moderating" anything. See previous item. To be perfectly honest, I PM'd Kal and simply asked if I could help with the moderating. I offered for one reason and one reason only: Because the scammer threads were pissing me off. I honestly feel like this is my "home" here on the net, and the scammer threads about DVD ripping software and cell phones felt like somebody was prying open my front door and sticking a leaflet inside.

C) I will NEVER change or edit anybody's post. See previous item.

D) If I do anything even resembling moderation (besides nuking scammer posts), it will maybe just be to move a thread to a different forum or perhaps fix somebody's linking or whatever. That's it.

I hope that quells any fears you may have. If anybody truly has any serious concerns about me being a moderator, I'd be happy to turn in the keys. I just wanted to help out at my favorite forum.

Cheers,
SC
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SC

Congrats,my Avatar say's it all...............eeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: