Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

WHOHAA!!!!!!!! Masking rocks! ( now Motorised,well sort of)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Pete (Dokworm), is where I would start asking for ideas.

Serial port control of something is probably the easiest....except most PCs don't have a serial port anymore (mine doesn't).

Or skip all that and make an IR receiver (kit) which closes two relays?

And it should run on 12v (or lower) which should be easier to get an external supply, and maybe slower.

Is the travel of the window mech right? If you jam the motor on each way, does the motor bottom out, or does the string get pulled?
(Add a hardstop..screw through the track...says Captain Obvious)

Does the motor have an overcurrent cutout? Or do you need limit switches?

And don't forget....the manual yank the rope works too, and is finely adjustable (which may be an issue with an electric system). Work out if it's worth the effort Wink
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17335

Bitmonster is involved with EventGhost...which is the IR software I use on my PC, if you want to involve the PC (maybe not needed).

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebitmonster%2Ecom%2Fir%2Findex%2Ehtml&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Doesn't look too, hard, the only tricky bit is programming the PIC.
PaulB

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
That is absolutely excellent! Well done mate Thumbs Up Love the vids, I'm going to try and build one of these at some point.

Mike,
I like the simplicity of your masking set-up, could easily put that together in a couple of hours, nice. It'll do until I get time to do the Huggy version!

Good work guys and thanks for sharing!

Paul

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:

Or skip all that and make an IR receiver (kit) which closes two relays?

And it should run on 12v (or lower) which should be easier to get an external supply, and maybe slower.

THis is what I want,don't want to complicate things,I have no electronic skills so easiest simplest IR kit available is what's required.

Mark_A_W wrote:

Is the travel of the window mech right? If you jam the motor on each way, does the motor bottom out, or does the string get pulled?
(Add a hardstop..screw through the track...says Captain Obvious)

I can add stops to it but it seems to bottom out when it reaches it's limit with minimal stress on the rope,and yeah the manual way is easy and it works however,this is more of a hobby and a challenge for me and so far I'm enjoying it.

Mark_A_W wrote:
Does the motor have an overcurrent cutout? Or do you need limit switches?

Not sure aboout this one,it's just a 30$ used electric window motor from a vt holden:D

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: