Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony D50Q - line doubler - Moome HDMI 1.3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petemay121

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Sony D50Q - line doubler - Moome HDMI 1.3 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi, can anyone help???

My older (Italian made Ellie XS3000) CRT has died a death. I have found a Sony D50Q which is like new, there was not even a spec of dust inside when I seen it, it almost looks new. Anyways I am thinking of purchasing it for $750 but I dont know if I should get the line doubler as well as the Moome HDMI, does the HDMI go through the line doubler or does it stay digital??? I am not an expert in the technical stuff of CRT but I know what I see, if you know what I mean.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Pete
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Pete, the line doubler is for regular video input. Such as analog cable, VCR, Laser Disk. It takes the video signal ( composite or S-video ) and doulbes the number of lines seen on the screen.

The Moome HDMI card is a digital to analog converter that plugs inside the projector. It doens't use the line doubler in any way.
Once you have the HDMI card you plug in a digital cable box, DVD plyaer with HDMI output, Bluray player etc then set the resolution to 1080i and do a setup on the D50. 1080i looks pretty good on these little machines.

BTW I woulnd't go mucch more than $500 on a mint D50, $750's a little steep. Most of the guys here wouldn't go $100 but we're cheap Wink

Make sure you know which D50 it is before ordering the Moome card. There are two versions. There's a D50HTU that CAN NOT accept an IFB card ( like the Moome ) and the other D50 that has the slot for the IFB card.

Have a read here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8442&highlight=d50

Also, test the projector to make sure the brightness and contrast are working. It's a common failure on these. Ramp the brightness and contrast up and down from 0-100 and see if the controls actually do anything. If yes then it's good. If NO then you'll need a repair from Curt to get you up and going.

This of course would mean you have to beat the seller down more.

Lastly take an LED flashlight with you and look into the Blue lens. See if the tube looks toasted. If it is then the projectors littleraly worth $50 as you can't get those tubes anymore. Sony has discontinued them.

For much more information goto the 'search' at the top of the page and enter 'D50' I got 7 pages of post's back on this.

Jeremy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
petemay121

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for that. I did see the machine yesterday and it did have an IFB card but no line doubler. The machine was not up and working but when I opened it up there was not a spec of dust inside, which was weird and a bit spooky to see, especially as my old machine had lots of dust inside.

I will give them a call and see if I can get them down on price and ask about the blue lens. They are a main repair dealer here so the machine would come with a warranty.

In your opinion as experts, is the D50 a good machine or would you recommend something else? I must be honest I have been looking at all sorts as I have not moved to Blu-Ray yet (but I am) so I am look for a new DVD player and a new projector, but dare I say it have also looked at LCD projectors and DLP's and I am so confused what to do... its turning into a nightmare!!! HELP.................................

PS3
Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro DEQ-2496
Anthem AVM30
Rotel 1095
Rotel 1090
Custom built Scan Speak speakers
2x JL Audio 13W7 subs
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D50's put out a soft picture as compared to better projectors. However since you are getting it locally and with a waranty that is something to consider. The one I gave my G/F looked pretty good at 1080i. The Sony's are pretty easy to set up ( once you get the hang of it. )

If you don't mind spending a little more you could get an EM ( Electro Magnetic ) focused projector off of Curt here. It also comes with a waranty plus endless forum support.

What's your maximum $$$ budget?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
petemay121

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, you know what I am so confused... I am not an expert at all, I had a CRT that died, I am not even sure what the visual difference is between LCD, DLP and CRT, is it that noticeable as I have nothing to compare it with, any help would be much appreciated, it really would.

I thought a Sony D50Q was good but it seems not... how much budget should I have to get a good CRT, I really have no clue.

All I know is that I have the most amazing hi-fi system, all custom built and a screen that drops down out of the ceiling and no picture, I was only last night listening to Star Wars lol, no picture but it sounded awesome!

So any help is very much appreciated, and yes I would buy one of Curt's machines.

Cheers

PS3
Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro DEQ-2496
Anthem AVM30
Rotel 1095
Rotel 1090
Custom built Scan Speak speakers
2x JL Audio 13W7 subs
benleeys

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My D50 has a built-in line doubler. Do I have to diable it when using a Moome card? If so, how does one go about doing it?

Thanks
Ben
moome

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benleeys wrote:
My D50 has a built-in line doubler. Do I have to diable it when using a Moome card? If so, how does one go about doing it?

Thanks
Ben

Dear Ben:
if you put hdmi card in D50 slot, you only need select that slot as RGBHV or HDTV-GBR mode to active hdmi card~

thanks
benleeys

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moome wrote:

Dear Ben:
if you put hdmi card in D50 slot, you only need select that slot as RGBHV or HDTV-GBR mode to active hdmi card~

thanks

I take it that you mean if I connect the output of the EXT-FULLHD HDMI 1.3 to the RGBHV sockets of my D50, the built-in doubler within the D50 will automatically be disabled?

Thanks,
Ben
moome

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benleeys wrote:
moome wrote:

Dear Ben:

thanks

I take it that you mean if I connect the output of the EXT-FULLHD HDMI 1.3 to the RGBHV sockets of my D50, the built-in doubler within the D50 will automatically be disabled?

Thanks,
Ben

Dear Ben:
I don't know if the line doubler will accept RGBHV input, most line doubler accept composite video or S-video or component 480I. so I think the D50 will bypass the line doubler when use RGBHV input~
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: