Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

All Things Paint
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertMfromLI

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
emdawgz1 wrote:
I dont like SW paint. I only use Benjamin Moore. Covers better nicer finish lasts...

I painted dark colors over a white primer w/ no issues at all. Ben Moore paint.

I have a preference for some of Behr's better paints... and if not those, Ben Moore...
RobertMfromLI

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tri_joel wrote:
First, spray vs. brush & roll - I NEVER allow the final coats to be sprayed. I have allowed primer and base coat spraying but I find that if the painter does brush & roll only, they see and correct more defects. If you have a painter without a piece of sandpaper in his back pocket, ask him to leave.

All true... and besides, rolling the paint will get rid of various minor imperfections that spraying it does not. Of course, if you are using a latex based paint, expect that the walls should be as perfect as possible before painting... you dont want to paint it, sand that and repaint.

I generally used flat paints for a theater room - helps kill the ambient light reflections (created by whatever...).
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found a BM store. The two I was aware of went out of business. Cheapest interior paint they have is like $24/gallon. I need 34 gallons. Cha-ching! Smile But, I do not think the wife will let me get their cheapest paint, and their products go up to $42/gallon. Wife used a mother-daughter pair to decide on the colors for the basement based on the acid stained concrete floors.

Now, this mother-daughter pair represent BM and they said a discount is expected. First they said 20%, but then the daughter retorted that it had dropped to 15%. Something about the economy I went up to the BM store yesterday, but they already had shut off their computers (2 minutes to Noon). I'll try to find out what the best and 2nd best pricing is on Monday.

Today, though, I'll be visiting Sherwin-Williams and getting their price on best and 2nd best interior paints, but I'll also be signing the contract to have the finish carpenter come in starting next week to do the entire basement. Now, he admitted the economy has affected his businesses as late last week he had to travel out of state for work.

Trim work includes 7.25" floor molding, 5" door and window molding. Doors (solid for HT, louver for mechanical, and hollow core for closet and bathroom. That trim woprk will far exceed what is in the rest of the house (its all 2.25" trim--if you can call it that). Once the trim guy is done the paint comes in and finally the electrician to do his finish work.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trim guy took 5.5 days to get it all done and yesterday the painters started surface prep work. Today they are primering the trim and painting the ceilings. By week's end they should have all walls, ceilings, and trim painted. In the end, we got 40 gallons of BM paints (in eight colors) for a cost of ~$1K (($25/gal). SW was more expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: