Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Ugh.. My Mitsu 73411 is acting funny.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin D

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Ugh.. My Mitsu 73411 is acting funny. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I ruled out the pre-amp/scalar, I ruled out the source, ruled out resolutions, and I ruled out the HDMI to component converter.

Symptoms started with what appears to be the vertical size not being stable. Hard to notice without the video paused or on the guide, but the picture will get bigger/smaller vertically by a small amount. Comes and goes, when it's doing it it almost seems like a heartbeat, but no consistent timing.

It just started throwing in horizontal lines that flicker across right before it's about to change sizes. Not as common as the size change, but getting worse.

It only does this after the TV warms up for about an hour and seems to get worse as the night goes on.

Any thoughts on where to start?

Kevin D.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thoughts would be a bad solder joint. I would check and resolder the vertical section, the horz and HV section and the power supply section..... Smile

Oh, and lets not forget the convergence section.... Laughing
Kevin D

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew... Thought it was going to be a tough fix. Wink

Might be easier to install a window unit in the thing.

In all honesty, hitting each solder joint in the thing almost sounds like a morbidly good time. What's the best wattage to do that with?

Kevin D.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really dont have to solder every joint in these sections, just the ones that look funny. Use a magnifier of some sort though.

The iron size is not super critical. The key is to just not hold it on for very long. This is where some finesse come in. If a joint has a heavy gnd strip or a coil then it takes more heat to get good flow. A larger iron is better for this, (40 watt). Even though its a hotter iron the solder will flow quicker so less time on the joint. You could still use this iron on smaller stuff but be real quick, but not to quick that you dont get a good flow and bond. 2 irons or an adjustable range are better. Non adjustable irons are cheap.
Kevin D

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's an interesting turn of events. Can dust cause a problem, or is the front cover half off enough to keep it cooler?

After being on all day Sunday, it was messing up bad. I pulled the front cover off half way and put a cheap 18" fan in front of the open half. TV quit messing up rather quickly.

Come home tonight and decide to leave the fan off and only turn it on when the TV starts messing up. TV hasn't had an issue all night. I guess I'll throw the front cover back on tomorrow night and see if it starts up again.

Kevin D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: