Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FAQ: Marquee HD Mods by DraganM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
CRT_Ben wrote:
I had a post typed up but Kal beat me to it. I think to say the least Mike, far from defending your turf you're just making yourself look bad similar to Greg E's billion percent improvement claims...

And what are you saying here??

what claims have I made? I'm not the one making claims that has not been verified here.

In fact, I don't make percentage claims.

But really, and since I've done exactly what's claimed in this thread, I'll just let water seek it's own level - bye!
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
And what are you saying here??

what claims have I made? I'm not the one making claims that has not been verified here.

In fact, I don't make percentage claims.

But really, and since I've done exactly what's claimed in this thread, I'll just let water seek it's own level - bye!

You're missing my point...

Greg E apparently thinks the best way to market his product is to make absurd, unverifiable claims. Instead, it makes people into extreme skeptics even though he apparently has a pretty good product according to those who buy his mods.

You apparently think that the best way to market / defend your product (which is not even being produced right now!) is to come into this thread and crap on Dragan's sales. Instead you come off as extremely unprofessional and combative.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Mike, I don't have Dragan,s mods. However I have done these same upgrades to stabilize the Pj. With the convergence board is where the most benefit is, if you go up to the screen and look at the grid the lines move back and forth ever so slightly. This movement causes the image to look a bit blurry from a distance, changing all the caps and the critical resistors that dragan does and I have done stabilizes the grid to the point where the image is sharper beacause of less to no movement. I dont care how you isolate the vim and VNB's from the rest of the pj the grid will still move and blur you super sharp mods. Do this , unplu the convergance coil from the board and go look at the grid, rock solid... that baord needs work, there are other things you can do there also but i wont tell.
Athanasios

Thanks Athan, I actually was not aware of this. I knew with a stock board the grid lines would actually jitter during active convergence but I didn't know they kept moving the whole time the machine was on. IT makes sense though, it's a push-pull analog amplifier after all and any instability in the circuit would cause a hiccup during the wave form generation.
I really like the Nichikon caps I use, the PJ series is actually designed specifically for analog switching power supply's

kal wrote:
Again Mike: Whatever claims Dragan makes are his and his alone to defend. You're once again treading on thin ice and showing EXTREMELY POOR TASTE in coming into another member's official product thread and telling them that they shouldn't say this or shouldn't say that. Kal
Yeah it's unfortunate since I don't jump into a Micron thread and pile-on about the noise from the neck-cards. However I'm really not bothered by MP's opinion's. He says the work I do can't possibly improve the pic quality of a Marquee, fine. So far every single person who has tried them says otherwise. I will keep piling up those kinds of testimonials, so either all of us are drinking the same cool-aid or possibly MP is mistaken.
At any rate, even assuming worst case scenarion where Mike is correct and the work does nothing to imporve the picture, having very stable convergence and a machine that actually runs cooler (produces less heat), are both very worthwhile things. The best part is this sin't vaporware, I get people's stuff back to them tested and ready to go almost as fast as buying something new from Amazon. Very Happy
I have a lot to be proud of witht this package and the feedback from people who bought it is reward in and of itself.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:

Greg E apparently thinks the best way to market his product is to make absurd, unverifiable claims. Instead, it makes people into extreme skeptics even though he apparently has a pretty good product according to those who buy his mods.

You apparently think that the best way to market / defend your product (which is not even being produced right now!) is to come into this thread and crap on Dragan's sales. Instead you come off as extremely unprofessional and combative.

I'm not defending what I'm doing, nor am I making a marketing attempt or assurd claims about my mods, you've gone too far here. And I'm also NOT saying that dragens work will not make changes. I'm only saying it will not make changes to my Mikron mods. Do you have this part so far?

And the reason that I'm saying that has a lot to do with me already doing what he has done, and not only myself, but so many others have also done so. And I have the results from it all.

So maybe I'm sharing something that may help in the long run.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
And I'm also NOT saying that dragens work will not make changes. I'm only saying it will not make changes to my Mikron mods. Do you have this part so far?

It's not your place to say that. One of Dragan's customers with your Mikron mods posted his opinion after getting DraganM's mods done. He stated that it was his opinion that Dragan's mods made a difference in picture quality even with your Mikron mods already in place. That's his opinion. An opinion can't be wrong no matter what you post.

But again, that's besides the point. This is Draganm's product thread. Stop making claims about his product/service. That's not for you to do. It's not your product. I don't care if you are the grand exhalted master of all things Marquee. That's irrelevant. It's not your product, it's not your place. It shows a lack of tact and understanding which (as others have stated) is making you look bad (I agree).

I give up on this. No more comments from me. You obviously don't get it and you can't teach tact/common sense.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
I'm not defending what I'm doing, nor am I making a marketing attempt or assurd claims about my mods, you've gone too far here. And I'm also NOT saying that dragens work will not make changes. I'm only saying it will not make changes to my Mikron mods. Do you have this part so far?

And the reason that I'm saying that has a lot to do with me already doing what he has done, and not only myself, but so many others have also done so. And I have the results from it all.

So maybe I'm sharing something that may help in the long run.

If I recall correctly there is a special Mike Parker Products section in this forum. Why don't you go post the reasons why your changes are so much better over there and stop crapping on this thread Thumbs Down
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys it's OK, nothings been said that offends me and I would like us all to do the rodney King thing and"just get along". I'm going to refrain from this argument. Further posts from me will be either a purely technical discussion based on the parts used and such or strictly a direct copy of customer feedback.
I promised to post some Osciliscope pics, most likely from the HDM or VDM in a before/after testing so I hope to have that up in the late summer/Fall. Then we can argue about whether the wave forms are smoother and whether a smoother waveform on the scope really impoves the picture. Mr. Green
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragan, Very Diplomatic and Tactful.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonm, starting to spend some money on my 8500, and in doing some research on the stock caps and what I can see in the pics on your upgrade, I noticed your using VZ grade Nichicons where HEs are not available. Just curious as to why your using VZ instead of the PW series? Seems like the PW series has a longer life, where the VZ has a fairly short life.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
Dragonm, starting to spend some money on my 8500, and in doing some research on the stock caps and what I can see in the pics on your upgrade, I noticed your using VZ grade Nichicons where HEs are not available. Just curious as to why your using VZ instead of the PW series? Seems like the PW series has a longer life, where the VZ has a fairly short life.
well first off those pics are 9 months old and are from the initial trial work done. The parts shown might or might not be what I'm actually using. I replace over 130 parts and only some of the parts are shown.
Second, the VZ cap is 100% higher quality than the factory caps, which were garbage, and yet still manage to run for 40K hours or more. the life cycles shown on the specs are at max temperature before the rated 20% leakage rate starts to increase. So in other words, you would need to run the VZ cap at 221 degrees Farenheit for rated hours before the leakage would exceed 20%.
Basically, any modern hi-temp cap is a major upgrade and I use a variety of different ones depending mostly on availability. I have actually bought out the entire supply of some on-line retailers and when faced with a 90 day lead time to re-stock will either choose a different grade or check somewhere else. for certain size requirements, I even use Panasonic's.
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Sparky015 wrote:
well first off those pics are 9 months old and are from the initial trial work done. The parts shown might or might not be what I'm actually using. I replace over 130 parts and only some of the parts are shown.
Second, the VZ cap is 100% higher quality than the factory caps, which were garbage, and yet still manage to run for 40K hours or more. the life cycles shown on the specs are at max temperature before the rated 20% leakage rate starts to increase. So in other words, you would need to run the VZ cap at 221 degrees Farenheit for rated hours before the leakage would exceed 20%.
Basically, any modern hi-temp cap is a major upgrade and I use a variety of different ones depending mostly on availability. I have actually bought out the entire supply of some on-line retailers and when faced with a 90 day lead time to re-stock will either choose a different grade or check somewhere else. for certain size requirements, I even use Panasonic's.

Thanks. Sorry, I didn't want to sound like I was critizing or trying to steal your work for my personal gain, just wanted to understand a bit better the components used to justify the price for myself.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
Thanks. Sorry, I didn't want to sound like I was critizing or trying to steal your work for my personal gain, just wanted to understand a bit better the components used to justify the price for myself.

FYI: Most of the ~ $400 price is based on the 10+ hours of labour required, not the parts. That's only $40/hr *not including* any replacement parts at all. This is highly skilled work. I've never seen a plumber, electrician, or car mechanic charge anywhere near that low of a rate and (IMHO) the electronics work done here is at a higher skill level.

Kal

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky015 wrote:
not a problem, i'm happy to engage in technical discussions. I don't mean to come across as defensive either, it's a gut reaction to the some of the earlier posts in this thread. Sad
It's also really not possible to "steal" any of the info since it's all out in the open. What people pay for is the time invested in choosing/stocking components and the guaranteed results. A lof of folks are DIY but if you read through the modification threads you will find the result of that process is a few non-working boards, so my advice is proceed with caution.
kal wrote:
FYI: Most of the ~ $400 price is based on the 10+ hours of labour required, not the parts. That's only $40/hr *not including* any replacement parts at all. This is highly skilled work.
yes most, but in truth even with the substantial bulk discount it's approximately $40. or $50. per machine for parts. If you were to buy the parts to do only 1 marquee I think you can double that number.

kal wrote:
I've never seen a plumber, electrician, or car mechanic charge anywhere near that low of a rate and (IMHO) the electronics work done here is at a higher skill level.
Kal
thanks Kal, if you know any plumbers willing to work for my rates please send them to my house Laughing
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
thanks Kal, if you know any plumbers willing to work for my rates please send them to my house Laughing

Tell me about it... I recently had a plumber in for (what I thought was) a quick job to pull a couple of lines and install a commercial sink since I just didn't have the time myself. $600 later he walks out the door. Doh! *Kal slaps his forehead*

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Just a quick correction on this statement that MP was the original creator of Marquee performance mods, Chris Stephens was the original performance mod guru for the Marquees. He sent me all his marquee mods(notes) about 4 years ago and he had been working on them for years.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
Kal,

Just a quick correction on this statement that MP was the original creator of Marquee performance mods, Chris Stephens was the original performance mod guru for the Marquees. He sent me all his marquee mods(notes) about 4 years ago and he had been working on them for years.

Thanks. Where did I write that MP was the original creator? Did I mention that somewhere? (Can't find it).

Kal

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so many different things have been done to the marquee by so many people over the last 6 or 7 years that i don't see how anyone could hold the title of "original creator"? It's a pointless debate anway, the only relevant issue I see is who can improve your marquee today for a reasonable cost and turn-around time and that is a very short list. Wink
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

The 3rd post of this thread.

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drag,

I'm not going to comment in your thread here because what you're doing is nothing more than bringing the unit back to newer condition by replacing tired components and it has nothing to do with modifying any circuitry, but of course replacing tired components is always a good thing. Whether your pricing or work is worth the asking price that will be up the individual interested in your services.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the third post of this thread and removed the words "original creator".

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: