Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Buy Oppo Blu-ray players! Help support the forum!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Buy Oppo Blu-ray players! Help support the forum! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Help support our forum! Purchase from Amazon.com using our links and a small percentage of your payment automatically goes towards supporting this site at no cost to you!
-------------------------

JULY 2009: It's taken a long (long!) time but what many are considering the best Blu-ray player ever built is finally shipping! At $499 the Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player is certainly not the cheapest player out there, but you'll be hard pressed to find any player that plays as many formats (including DVD Audio and SACD) and has such excellent audio and video quality. It's truly a top-notch player. Highly recommended! 7.1 thumbs up!

Purchase Oppo BDP-83:

NEW! The less expensive BDP-80 is also now available:

Purchase Oppo BDP-80:

Oppo may not be a name recognized by most households but they've been around for some time now and their products are considered somewhat legendary by audio/video buffs. For example, their DV-983H DVD player is the only one to ever score a perfect 100 on the Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity DVD benchmark.

So it's no surprise then that their latest product, the BDP-83 Blu-ray player would be one of the most anticipated players since the dawn of HD movies on disc. Early pre-release reviews talk of the excellent playback quality and the exhaustive list of features and formats supported. This is the 'kitchen sink' of Blu-ray players. Absolutely nothing is missing! It truly an all-in-one solution media center for high definition (and standard definition) playback.

The Oppo BDP-83 plays Blu-ray discs and decodes all of the format's lossless audio schemes (DTS-HA Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD) right on board. Both 5.1 and 7.1 analog outputs are included for you audiophiles that don't have a newer HDMI receiver for decoding lossless audio. It also plays DVD, CD, AVCHD, CD, Kodak CD and even throws in both DVD-Audio and SACD high-resolution audio disc support (a first)! Additional formats like JPEG, DivX, MKV, and AVI are supported as well. It's fully BonusView and BD-Live compatible and has 1GB of built-in memory so you don't need an SD Card to use BD-Live like with some players. The DVD up-scaling is excellent and the 1080p video decoding quality via HDMI is second to none.

Video output choices are 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p50, or 1080p60. 1080p/24 output is also available with compatible displays and the BDP-83 is one of a select few players able to upconvert standard DVDs into 1080p/24 output. The BDP-83 also offers Source Direct mode which outputs source material in its original format untouched by any processing or scaling - something the purists will enjoy.

The only downside is not a huge and is one we've started to grow accustomed to in the age of digital sources: The component output video quality is not as good as HDMI since the advanced features provide by the Anchor Bay VRS ABT2010 processor are only available on the HDMI output. (The component signal completely bypasses the video processor). For the best video quality, HDMI must be used. Don't have an HDMI input on your display? Simple! Add an HDfury2.

The early reviews from the A/V enthusiast press have been through the roof too. To quote a recent review from Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity:

Quote:
"In a system with HDMI connections, the OPPO BDP-83 is an extremely desirable player to have because it's a fantastic Blu-ray player with a beautiful picture and speedy operation. Standard DVD processing is top notch as well and the player features high quality audio output for all the latest HI Def sound codecs as well as additional media types such as DVD-Audio and SACD in both bitstream and PCM output. Because the BDP-83's component video connections don't take advantage of the ABT2010 processor, the performance is not near as good and doesn't get quite the recommendation for systems limited to analog video connections. However, with the BDP-83's HDMI capabilities, its performance on the bench, the exceptional build quality, their continued support to their product line, and the inclusion of features such as BD-Live and additional media playback, OPPO has an out-of-the-ballpark grand slam home run. Highly Recommended."

If you've been putting off buying a Blu-ray player or want to upgrade your older first or second generation player for something considerably better, this is the one to get.

UPDATE: NEW LOWER COST OPPO BDP-80! The New Oppo BDP-80 is now available as well. It's a 'light' version of the BDP-83. It still features BD-Live compatibility, DVD-Audio and SACD playback but drops the ABT2010 video processor, aluminum faceplate and some of the audio capabilities of the big brother BDP-83. Other items sliced to get the price down to $289 from $499 are IR in/out, RS-232 control interfaces, and a backlit remote.

Interested? Order an Oppo BDP-83 or Oppo BDP-80 and help support our forum!

Oppo BDP-83 Pictures

View large version

View large version

View large version

View large version

View large version

Oppo BDP-80 Pictures

View large version

View large version

View large version

View large version

Purchase the BDP-83 and BDP-80 today using these links:

Purchase Oppo BDP-83:

Purchase Oppo BDP-80:

Kal
-------------------------
Help support our forum! Purchase from Amazon.com using our links and a small percentage of your payment automatically goes towards supporting this site at no cost to you!

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue May 25, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if this is an item that ships from canada for canadian orders? or do i have duty/customs/broker peskiness?

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500LC Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
does anyone know if this is an item that ships from canada for canadian orders? or do i have duty/customs/broker peskiness?

I pre-ordered mine months ago from SolutionsAV in Canada to avoid customs and duties and brokerage fees.
...Wayne
View user's photo album (9 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much - and i'd like to get a kickback to the forum. i know that some items ship directly from canada (T.O.) but i dunno about this one, or how to find out.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
how much - and i'd like to get a kickback to the forum. i know that some items ship directly from canada (T.O.) but i dunno about this one, or how to find out.

The forum only gets credit if you purchase from Amazon using the links provided above. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't ship electronics to Canada. I have however bought electronics from them using http://www.packageexpress.com/ US to Canada brokerage service. You pay a small fee and the shipping into Canada. Since shipping to them is free with Amazon's Super Saver Shipping it pretty much balances out. Package Express can ship USPS so you don't get hit with crazy brokerages like UPS or FedEx.

Kal

zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, package express is a new one on me - cool. thanks.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
hmmm, package express is a new one on me - cool. thanks.

They've been around a while from what I understand. I had a bunch of stuff to buy from various places in the US that simply would not ship to Canada (or would only use UPS which works out to crazy brokerage fees) so I researched all the brokerage options available and PackageExpress.com consistently came up in the top.

They also combine orders so that you pay less shipping. You wait until everything arrives at their warehouse and then ask them to combine and quote a price. You also tell them what to write on the customs form and what value to put (hint hint). Wink

They seem well organized - emails arrive within an hour of a package arriving and you can go take a look. They also allow walk-ins if you're near them (they're located in Washington State just minutes from the border).

Kal

zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, i'm in BC just minutes from the border. and i've been overusing my friends porch in Bellingham recently.... this might be a very good thing as i was thinking of just using Blaine's UPS outlet.

Kal you are a great wealth of info. go downstairs and have a congratulatory beer Thumbs Up
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
Kal you are a great wealth of info. go downstairs and have a congratulatory beer Thumbs Up

I'm already downstairs but given that it's now 5:01PM I think I'll go have that beer! Thanks for the hint! Smile

Kal

WayneB

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500LC Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal,
I buy a lot from Amazon.com but usually have it shipped to friends in California, then pick it up next time we visit.
The few times I had stuff shipped from the USA via FedEx, I have paid $30-$75 brokerage fees for a $100-200 order.
This looks like a winner. I will bookmark it.

Can you clarify the Amazon link button on this website and how it works.
For example, I clicked on a Bluray link on this site a few weeks ago, looked at the item, but did not purchase. Instead, I put it in my wish list. Later I logged on normally and bought it from my wish list.
Did Curt still get credit? Or should I have gone back through this website when ready to buy.
I also just bought some Enoble Bearing Fans from Amazon (to upgrade my Marquee LVPS). You did not have a link for this, but would you get credit because I linked in earlier on the BluRay disc?
...Wayne
View user's photo album (9 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WayneB wrote:
Can you clarify the Amazon link button on this website and how it works.
For example, I clicked on a Bluray link on this site a few weeks ago, looked at the item, but did not purchase. Instead, I put it in my wish list. Later I logged on normally and bought it from my wish list.
Did Curt still get credit? Or should I have gone back through this website when ready to buy.

I'm not sure about that. If you enter Amazon through a link from us, add a bunch of things to your cart, leave Amazon and then go back to Amazon not through our site (ie: type www.amazon.com directly) and then check out and pay for the items ... does that give us credit? I don't know. I don't know if each item is tagged with the referral code when you add it to your cart or wish list or if your session is tagged when you enter the site.

Googling came up with this from their FAQ:

Quote:
How long do visitors have to add an item to their Shopping Cart after clicking on one of my Amazon.com links until I no longer earn a referral fee on their purchase?

You earn referral fees on any qualifying items placed in a customer's Shopping Cart within 24 hours of their arrival at Amazon.com via your Associates link. However, this 24-hour window closes once the customer submits his order or reenters Amazon.com through another Associate's link. Once the window is closed, you will not earn referral fees on any subsequent purchases. However, if the customer then returns to Amazon.com through one of your Associates links, this opens a new 24-hour window.

It is of course possible that a customer may arrive at Amazon.com via your Associates link, add an item to his Shopping Cart, and then leave Amazon.com without placing an order. As long as the item was added to the customer's Shopping Cart during this 24-hour window, you will still earn a referral fee if the order is placed before the Shopping Cart expires (usually after 90 days). The referral fee will not be credited to your Associates account until the customer has purchased the item, accepted delivery, and remitted full payment to Amazon.com.

So it sounds as if as long as you don't go somewhere else and click through *their* referral links, that everything in your cart will go to CurtPalme.com.

Quote:
I also just bought some Enoble Bearing Fans from Amazon (to upgrade my Marquee LVPS). You did not have a link for this, but would you get credit because I linked in earlier on the BluRay disc?
...Wayne

Yes - If you go to Amazon through a link here then anything you buy at Amazon during that session will give credit to us, not just the item you clicked on. You don't even need to purchase the item that you originally clicked on of course. Think of it as showing our card at the door so that they know where you're from and anything you buy gets credit to the referrer. Once you leave the store however, the referrals are gone. You'd have to go back in through us.

Back on topic: So how about that Oppo BDP-83?? Smile

Kal

Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, But is it region free ??

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Unfortunately not. Not only is the BD playing restricted to Region A, but even the standard DVD playing is locked to Region 1.
Mykabra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mykabra wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately not. Not only is the BD playing restricted to Region A, but even the standard DVD playing is locked to Region 1.

But for those in Europe, a region-free modification is (will shortly be) available.
http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/region_free_bpd-83.htm
Graham Johnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not what i was expecting from OPPO!

TV/Projector: Sony VPH-G90U (one unit for me, four others units repaired and sold)

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Oppo BDP-83 Region free and zone Free Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

You may also use the hacked firmware (currently 430 and beta 601) to have a Region free and zone Free player as well : it's free Wink It also doesn't breaks your original Oppo warranty Very Happy as the hardware hack does...

Also, I've played with the CRTProjectors hardware mod. and changing a region requires some time to be done (as the player must go in Standby mode, change the region using the remote and power-up the player again). Changing the blu-ray region setting of the player using the software patched firmware is almost instantaneous Very Happy

Download it from here : http://www.codefreedvd.com/dvd_oppo_bdp83_multiregion_firmware.html

I already own a BDP83 player and I'm using this hacked 601 beta firmware to play my Region B Blu-ray discs in France !

Aside this convenient 'extra' feature, it's a wonderfull player indeed Thumbs Up

John

Last edited by JohnHWman on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
bgotro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Oppo BluRay Player Reply with quote

Got my Oppo BD player back in May as I had been on their early adopter list since mid-winter. Excellent player, both with audio and video. I use Source Direct exclusively as I have the Oppo connected to an Anthem Statement D2 SSP, which does any necessary processing. I think the pricing is a bargain for this player and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in the performance of this beauty!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oppo BluRay Player Reply with quote

bgotro wrote:
I use Source Direct exclusively as I have the Oppo connected to an Anthem Statement D2 SSP, which does any necessary processing.

That would certainly be a killer combination! Is yours the D2v version with the ARC room correction?

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my Oppo 83 direct from Oppo and it costs about $700 total once I got it here with exchange/shipping/duty. I think the shipping was about $75 US and the duty was about$35Cdn.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
I ordered my Oppo 83 direct from Oppo and it costs about $700 total once I got it here with exchange/shipping/duty. I think the shipping was about $75 US and the duty was about$35Cdn.

I think it may work out slightly cheaper going the Amazon.com + packageexpress.com route to get to Canada but I don't know what exchange rate you paid.

$499 US with free shipping to packageexpress.com + about $30-50 USPS shipping to Canada + $35 duty (or less if you mark it as less). So about $650-660 CAD total with today's exchange rate.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: