Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Distance between proj and screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Distance between proj and screen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a somewhat small basement and would like to know what the minimum distance between a projector and the screen is possible. Also, would 7, 8 or 9 inch tubes be better or worse at the given distance. At this point, I am figuring on about 11 feet from the projector to the screen.

Any formulas to use?

Thanks,
wallace
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a typical eyeball with 20/20 vision can resolve about 1 minute of arc so if you are so inclined, do the trig using the height of a scan line as the base of the triangle. As long as the height of a scan line is less than your eye can resolve, you're golden.

What I did...and I'm not saying this is right or fits some particular theory, is walk towards my screen until I could see visible scan lines and then back up to the point that I could no longer discern them. Voila, that's where the couch went. I have a 113" diagonal, 16:9 screen (55 inch screen height) running 720p and I sit 9 - 10 feet away, but doubtful as I near birthday #49 that I still have 20/20 vision.

I figure that this method allows me to take maximum advantage of the system's capabilities..further away and I am wasting resolution, any closer and the scan lines are visible.

Chuck

using acreage for sound insulation since 1999
View user's photo album (17 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance between proj and screen Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:
I have a somewhat small basement and would like to know what the minimum distance between a projector and the screen is possible. Also, would 7, 8 or 9 inch tubes be better or worse at the given distance. At this point, I am figuring on about 11 feet from the projector to the screen.

Any formulas to use?

Thanks,
wallace

Have you read the CRT primer? http://curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer.shtm

It's a great read. Especialy page 8
http://curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer_8.shtm

The formulas are listed in the Setup/install manuals for many of the projectors.

What type of projector are you thinking of buying?

What size screen do you intened to run? For example I had my Sony 1252 about 11feet from an 8 foot wide 4:3 screen. This really maximized the raster usage. Here's the link on how to properly set up the projector for maximum raster usage:
http://curtpalme.com/TubeRasterSetup.shtm

Hope this helps.
View user's photo album (27 photos)
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Distance between proj and screen Reply with quote

Thanks for both replies (Chuck27 and Analogrocks). While I am not sure how to calculate the info from Chuck27, I did find another site http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html#anchor_13194 that seems to be really cool. The results on that sites calculator seem to be pretty much in-line with what I have heard. The plan is to have seating (4 seats) about 10.5 to 11 feet back from screen.

At this point, I am leaning towards a 9" tube projector as I would like to have one that will have good 1080p picture. (This is from what I have read on Curt's site.) Now-a-days, it is hard to get a feel for the picture since you can't really see any good CRT projectors in use.

Also, I figure on a screen no larger that 84" wide 16:9 display. I don't really watch regular TV, but spend a lot of time watching movies instead.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance between proj and screen Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:

At this point, I am leaning towards a 9" tube projector as I would like to have one that will have good 1080p picture.

I don't know your budget, but many of us don't think a 9" is worth the extra money. In fact, I'll take 1080i on a good 8" over 1080p on a so-so 9". 1080i is just not that much worst than 1080p. In fact, 90% of the time they won't look different.

Dave
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance between proj and screen Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:
Thanks for both replies (Chuck27 and Analogrocks). While I am not sure how to calculate the info from Chuck27, I did find another site http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html#anchor_13194 that seems to be really cool. The results on that sites calculator seem to be pretty much in-line with what I have heard. The plan is to have seating (4 seats) about 10.5 to 11 feet back from screen.

At this point, I am leaning towards a 9" tube projector as I would like to have one that will have good 1080p picture. (This is from what I have read on Curt's site.) Now-a-days, it is hard to get a feel for the picture since you can't really see any good CRT projectors in use.

Also, I figure on a screen no larger that 84" wide 16:9 display. I don't really watch regular TV, but spend a lot of time watching movies instead.

Well you'll get a stunning image at 84" wide. Are you celing mounting your projector?

For 1080P you'd be into a Marquee 9000, 9500LC or SONY G90 or a big Barco 9 incher. Either one of those would be a hell of a starter projector. Smile
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance between proj and screen Reply with quote

Also, now that I read more about 1080p, it seems getting the signal out of a DVD player (HD) into the projector is going to be tough. Since all DVDs that I can find use HDMI output for any signal higher than 480i or 480p, I am not sure where to go next as far as converters that will take a HDMI signal, convert to DVI, and then convert to RGBHV.

Still, I can't wait!!!
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave and Alan (Person99 and Moose) provided some excellent information on DVI / HDMI / HDCP / ICT in this thread:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1821

It helped me understand this whole encryption mess and figure out how to get max resolution out of what I have now while still remaining within the boundaries of the law.

Chuck

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, I just entered my personal little psychosis and it came complete with modified laws. Oh my! Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that line from Judge Dredd?

"I AM the law!!!!"

Shocked

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck27 wrote:
What was that line from Judge Dredd?

"I AM the law!!!!"

Shocked

Wouldn't that be "Iameeeee za law" (said with the Stalone accent)

CRT.

HD done right!
mack1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck--you up andrunning yet?
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am, Terry...I managed to take a few days off last month and got the screen goo on the wall.

I followed the manufacturer's instructions to the letter and it turned out great. I had to strain the base coat before I used it but other than that, it went on smoothly and leveled out nicely and I can't find any roller marks anywhere....it's not often that something works out so well for me!

Here's some pictures...

Chuck

screen goo.jpg
 Description:
At this angle, you can see where the wall studs are but from the front it is very smooth with no noticeable undulations.
 Filesize:  131.86 KB
 Viewed:  9381 Time(s)

screen goo.jpg

screen shot DVD.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.56 KB
 Viewed:  9382 Time(s)

screen shot DVD.jpg

screen shot HDTV.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.22 KB
 Viewed:  9381 Time(s)

screen shot HDTV.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: