Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Trim before you paint?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Trim before you paint? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
All, I know a lot of you are true DIYers out there and I wonder if you and those hiring out the work put in the trim (minimally floor molding and casement/doors) before you painted. I am at the post-primer stage and holding on the painting as I have not done any trim or installed any doors or casements.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since some people will remove the trim to paint, I would say you definitely want to paint prior to trim to avoid having to tape everything.
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have the option paint first then do trim work. This gives you the benefit of being able to paint or stain the trim work before it is installed. It is much easier to paint the trim while lying flat on a board between 2 saw horses than when it is installed on the wall. The doors are also easier this way and won't have the splatter of the wall paint on them if they're not there to begin with. It also makes for a very crisp look this way. I always remove doors to paint them anyway.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i paint the trim seperate, it's a lot easier being able to pick it up and turn it for edges and a lot easier on my back if i set it up on sawhorses!!

then all i need to do when painting the walls is get within an inch of the corner (ie: behind where the trim will go) and i can do that all with the roller - no cutting in.

what dturco said Smile

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UH...... she trims, I spray.
jask

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you guys are master trim carpenters, do both- paint two coats on the loose (precut and fit) pieces then after they are mounted and caulked and the holes and joints cleaned up- touch up the areas that need it.

jkruger wrote:
UH...... she trims, I spray.

Twisted Evil it's all about teamwork.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
WayneB

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500LC Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.
I paint the walls before installing trim.
I prime & paint the trim even before I cut it.
Then cut to fit and install the trim.
Caulk the cracks and fill the nail holes. Let dry completely.
Either just touch up the trim, or apply another coat of paint to the trim, but not quite to the edges, unless you are painting over caulking.

Blue masking tape is cheap in the overall cost of the project.

The finishing carpenter / painter makes or breaks the project. Smile

...Wayne
View user's photo album (9 photos)
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are putting up stain grade trim... You might want to paint the walls first...

If you are Painting the trim..... for heavens sakes... Don't paint the walls first... If you are picky about the quality of the finish on paint grade trim it HAS to be painted in place with all of the holes and and joints filled and sanded...

You are going to have to "touch" up anyway if you try and paint the trim off the wall... I have tried this many times trying to pick up the pace on projects and in the long run it saves NO time... your "touchups" are almost guaranteed to "flash" (vary in sheen) from the paint you put on the trim while it was off the wall. (its just the nature of a "touchup") so you are going to end up painting the trim again anyway....

Spraying a quality oil based (or lacquer) paint on trim already nailed in place is the only way to achieve top notch finish work

If you are painting the trim with a latex product... (pro classic latex from Sherwin lays on the smoothest of any of the median priced latex enamels.) Just rent yourself a airless(or better yet hire a painter) and shoot the walls and trim with a coat of primer all at once... Then shoot the trim... and paint the walls last... Standard issue latex paint will clean right off any quality enamel, latex or otherwise..... and trying to paint your walls first will not allow a good looking "cut" line b/t trim and the wall if any chalking is required to fill the gaps... which it almost always is...

Oh and if you can't spray your trim... Make sure to pick up some "Penetrol" or (Floetrol for your latex) or similar product to add to your paint... you will be amazed as brush marks seem to almost entirely disappear...

One great trick when "cutting to your trim is to skillfully allow your wall paint to creep ever so slightly onto your trim just further than you actually want it.... (done with your tape or by brush).... Then once you have completed the wall go back with a putty knife or something of the sort... wrap the edge of the knife tightly with a damp rag and carefully clean the paint right exactly to where you want it... This can even be done with a rag very lightly dipped in "goof off" a couple days later if you should discover an error...

When painting an interior... First Trim... then ceilings... and Walls last...

and the rule is... chalk and paint make a carpenter what he ain't...

and you can't chalk and paint till the carpenter is done Wink The only real exception is things like stair banisters... when painted balusters meet stained treads.....

But... I would need to no more about what you expect out of your project to be able to really steer you in the right direction...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: