Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Digital horror stories...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
actually, i love the ecp. i vastly prefer it to my last crt (BD800). just been managing to find out how ineffecient (or is that efficient at damaging stuff) freight firms are.

got the ecp broken in transit. and replacement tube damaged in transit. etc etc
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real digital horror story is the Communist government of America. Now, all VoIP will have instant-fed access without judicial-brach authorization for the sake of whatever honcho is in office needs to dig up dirt on his advisory. In fact, all ISPs in the CSA must implement back doors for the feds to gain entrance to and monitoring of any electronic voice communication passing through ISP networks--and the ISP must pick up the tab.

So much for the digital age. I now feel like its safer to be on the Internet from China.
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't need that.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not about your needs, but the needs of the Bush administration.

PS: Notice I said Bush administration and not taking this as a party-thing.
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an "offer" from Sony Repair the other day to "extend" the coverage of the HS10 they already refused to work on 'cause thei "technicians" smelled "smoke".
Only $389 for 3 years of non-coverage!!! TFF Laughing

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes you wonder who'd want to touch a Sony...

Sounds almost as bad as the Panasonic 900s. Their bulb life is specced at 5000 hours here in NZ. However, the incidence of them blowing at 480-600 hours is so great here that Panasonic are having to give spare bulbs with them on purchase...

So, would you like some fries with that?
Mad Mr H

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
Smoking voids the warranty???

Why? Is this clearly stated? if not i'd file a suit against the manufacturer.

As I understand yes it is detailed.......

There ARE projectors with "sealed air systems" that can be used in smoke filled rooms.

Sanyo have a smoke box, sim2 i think are smoke friendly......

BUT.......

I have had a unit refused repair 6 months old used 12 hours a day - I was told it had been used past the "normal use" and so not covered..........

This belongs to a customer (NOT mine!)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these emails I get from eBay each week. This one is typical:

Hello, I was hoping you could send me the 30 page manual - that you wrote. I am interested in CRT projectors.. At the moment I am on my 6th DLP projector..
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6th DLP projector? I wonder what he is doing to those poor DLP projectors such that he's gone through six of them.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he turns them on

XANATOS

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
The real digital horror story is the Communist government of America.
I think you mean "totalitarion Govnmt.". We're certinly not communist,really hard core Capitalism. Military Industrial cleptocracy to be exact. Sad

nettwerkjohn wrote:
Makes you wonder who'd want to touch a Sony...
Sounds almost as bad as the Panasonic 900s. Their bulb life is specced at 5000 hours here in NZ. However, the incidence of them blowing at 480-600 hours is so great here that Panasonic are having to give spare bulbs with them on purchase...So, would you like some fries with that?
that's hilarious, I was just responding to poster from UK in a different forum that sent his Optoma back to the repair center 6 times in 3 years. the warranty finally ran out right after the last failure. Crying or Very sad
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
I think you mean "totalitarion Govnmt.". We're certinly not communist,really hard core Capitalism. Military Industrial cleptocracy to be exact. Sad

That was the original definition of fascism when applied to Mussolini movement.

Dave
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite post of the day:

Ok guys, so I bought my first digital set a few days ago because i got tired of being without HD. I get it home and hate it! I use to have a Pioneer Elite RPTV. When I got that pioneer it wowed me, the Sony SXRD did not wow me. I hate the fact that it doesn't do true blacks it annoys me and as such am looking for a viable option in the CRT realm.

Smile
Z-Photo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I saw that.....

Smile

The Only GOOD AMPRO - is a Dead AMPRO.
wait - are they not all DEAD already?
View user's photo album (16 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Nother one from today:

I would rather have a CRT projector than one of those digitals, as my friend is already on his 5th bulb in less than a year! Those things are very unreliable and I have never seen one last...
Heywood Jablome

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony SXRD RP, spotted in Niles, OH in a Circuit City (I think...) This was the one set in the store with no pricetag.

And, no... the green cast on the lower right of the screen was not an artifact of the cheesy camera-phone.

sony-sxrd-niles-oh-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.94 KB
 Viewed:  20599 Time(s)

sony-sxrd-niles-oh-1.jpg

"Those countries which lag behind in industry, in the application of mechanics and technical chemistry, in the careful selection and utilization of natural products, where the respect for such activities does not permeate all classes of society, will unfailingly decline in prosperity. They will sink faster when neighbor states, with an energetic exchange between science and industry, go forward with renewed vitality."
-- Baron Alexander von Humboldt: 1769-1859
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has had too many projectors for me to remember. His lattest and favorite (because it was so small) was a mini DLP. A few weeks ago he turned it on and it powered off after a few seconds. So he turned on the power again it powered off after a few seconds. Then he looked throgh a vent and noticed the color wheel wasn't spinning as he powered it up.

He pushes the power button and starts banging on the projector. It started alright. The color wheel exploded. He now has a black and white projector.

He still won't buy a CRT says they're to big.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although this did not happen to me, it shows what can happen when you buy from one of those oddball companies that are popping up everywhere selling digitals :

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?p=2952346#post2952346

I don't think he liked my "Yer pays yer money and takes yer chances ......." comment.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Costco rules! Reply with quote

Here is a potential digital nightmare that ended up as a dream.....
If you are going to buy any electronics gear, buy it in Costco. As well as a marquee 8501LC Ultra, I also have a plasma in the bedroom. I bought a 42" Vizio from Costco a couple of years ago. After 16 months it failed completely. Looked like the power supply crapped out. Out of warranty - maybe the Vizio factory which is local can repair it for a reasonable price. Let's try Costco first. I took it back to Costco with no receipt, out of warranty, and no box. They quickly found my transaction on their computer and refunded my original cost - no questions asked - not even a mention of warranties!! Since the 42" Vizio has now dropped about $800 in price I was able to replace my 42" with a 50" Maxent. Still doesn't compare with the Marquee but keeps the bedroom nice and warm!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense fastscot, but why are you buying no name brand plasmas? Spend a bit more on a name brand product, and at least you have a fighting chance of it lasting more than 18 months, never mind getting a better quality picture out of the set?

I learned the hard way with my $29 Wal Mart shoes, you get what you pay for...Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: