Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Magico M-5...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Magico M-5... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
They are debuting these speakers @ a local A/V shop next week. I'm going to check them out at the release party and i'll post a report.

JV of Absolute Sound called these... "The Best Sound JV Has Ever Heard at a Trade Show"

The Magico M5 floorstanding loudspeaker was undoubtedly the most anticipated debut at CES 2009 and it didn't disappoint. For those of you familiar with the great MartinLogan CLX its sound is easy to describe and uncanny to hear. If you can imagine a CLX with 20Hz bass, 60kHz treble extension, no large-scale dynamic-range limits, no soundstaging limits, and no lack of body and dimensionality, without any sacrifice of the see-through-to-the-source transparency, utter neutrality, single-driver coherence, standard-settingly low levels of harmonic distortion, lightning transient speed, nonpareil low-level resolution, sheer invisibility as a sound source, and breathtakingly lifeilike realism of the CLX then you have an idea of what the M5 sounds like. I have never heard a dynamic or planar or Radalstrahler speaker come this close to the electrostatic ideal without any audible sacrifice of what cone speakers bring to the table. This is quite simply a new standard in transduction, not just the best loudspeaker at this year's CES, but the best loudspeaker I've ever heard at a trade show and, quite possibly (the Magico M6 maybe excepted), the best loudspeaker any amount of money can buy And as you will see, when I post my show report, this was not a show that lacked for stiff competition. In several floors full of very, very, very good speakers, nothing eclipsed this new Magico, which not only takes its place in my little pantheon of great speakers but pushes out several other long-cherished greats of the past. As of CES 2009, the past is now inalterably past. We are in a new Golden Age of stereo, my friends. Not just hitting the same gong at the top of the post that we've been hitting, off and on, for the past two decades, but hitting a whole new level--a whole new height of stereophonic high fidelity and realism. Certainly the fabulous Soulution electronics played their part in this great Magico demo, as did Magico's own fabulous server and the Pacific Microsonics DAC. But the speakers themselves...you can't hear upstream unless what is downstream is every bit as clear and colorless and high in fidelity as what precedes it. And so the M5s are--to a degree I simply never heard before and didn't dream possible.

http://www.magico.net/?d=03_Products/04_M_5

magico m5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.17 KB
 Viewed:  6469 Time(s)

magico m5.jpg

View user's photo album (3 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are PURDY!

... and a bargain at only $89,000/pr. I wonder if I could get a good discount if I bought 6 of them... Buy 4 get 2 free, maybe?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the front baffle and the base are carved out of solid Aircraft grade aluminum, then hard anodized. The body is 15 ply baltic birch laminate... it's pretty well made. Solid and heavy... i just wanna hear how they sound.

Even if i had the cash... its too rich for my blood. Embarassed

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$89 000 per pair, yeah I'd like to just hear them too then come home to my Paradigms and see how they compare Smile

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
Well the front baffle and the base are carved out of solid Aircraft grade aluminum, then hard anodized. The body is 15 ply baltic birch laminate... it's pretty well made. Solid and heavy...

Oh yeah, I saw that on the site. For anybody who didn't go look, this is pretty amazing:

Quote:
Beginning as a 200 pound blank slab of 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum, the M5 baffle spends nearly 2 days in a 5-axis, Vertical Machining Center, Super Speed CNC machine before becoming the 73 lb. vertically convex driver housing seen on the final product. Together, with the finishing procedure that includes 4 hours of grinding and a 3 hour hard black anodization process, each pair of faceplates takes over a workweek of man-hours to become production ready.

The design is beautiful, the construction amazing. My flippant remarks were due to my general skepticism about pairs of speakers that cost nearly as much as high-end sports cars. I know they're hand-built, and I know the materials are awesome... But, come ON! $89,000?!!?!?! That's within spitting distance of the price of a new Viper SRT10 ACR or Corvette ZR1 - two of the fastest, best-handling, mass-produced race cars on the planet. Could they really sound nearly TWICE as good as a $50,000 pair of Wilson X2 Grand Slamm's?

I know, I know... I'm just sayin'.

SC
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

The design is beautiful, the construction amazing. My flippant remarks were due to my general skepticism about pairs of speakers that cost nearly as much as high-end sports cars. I know they're hand-built, and I know the materials are awesome... But, come ON! $89,000?!!?!?! That's within spitting distance of the price of a new Viper SRT10 ACR or Corvette ZR1 - two of the fastest, best-handling, mass-produced race cars on the planet. Could they really sound nearly TWICE as good as a $50,000 pair of Wilson X2 Grand Slamm's?

I know, I know... I'm just sayin'.

SC

Well, C'mon out to philly next weekend and give em a listen... I got spare room, beer and ribs! Thumbs Up

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhhhhhx-squeeze me? You don't have a pair of Wilson's, do you? I assume you mean you have a dealer nearby with a pair of both? That's awesome. The most expensive pair of speakers I've seen in Des Moines were a pair of $12,000 Dunlavy's. I'm sure there have been more expensive speakers - those were just the most expensive I've actually seen first-hand. I think they've had some Wilson Puppy's, too.

Thanks for the invite, man! No long trips for me at the moment... But, next time I have to go to DC for work, I'm going to try to schedule it around an east coast get-together so I can meet a few of you guys!

SC
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Ehhhhhhx-squeeze me? You don't have a pair of Wilson's, do you? I assume you mean you have a dealer nearby with a pair of both? That's awesome. The most expensive pair of speakers I've seen in Des Moines were a pair of $12,000 Dunlavy's. I'm sure there have been more expensive speakers - those were just the most expensive I've actually seen first-hand. I think they've had some Wilson Puppy's, too.

Thanks for the invite, man! No long trips for me at the moment... But, next time I have to go to DC for work, I'm going to try to schedule it around an east coast get-together so I can meet a few of you guys!

SC

Nope, but the shop 15 minutes from my house, has a brand spanking new setup...They sound AWESOME. And the M-5 party is next sat afternoon. You can listen to both in 1 afternoon...

When you are in DC let the east coast guys know... I'm always good for a road trip. Thumbs Up

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good example of the law of diminishing returns. Not saying it's not worth the money (only the buyer can say that) but when you look at the weeks of labour that goes into each pair you start to understand why they cost so much.

And they're not even their most expensive set... Not sure how much their Ultimate II sets go for, but they do say it takes 4+ months of custom welding to make a pair of speakers. That's a lot of work! You're paying at least 10-20K just for part of the labour costs!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: