Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

SONY VPH-1292Q STREAKING PROBLEM SOLVED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Interested in purchasing upgrade?
Yes
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 49

speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
RogueChili wrote:

A fellow EE, looking forward to working with you! Andre, can you post a picture that clearly shows the streaking? Something similar to my post. We have to establish a reference, something to compare after the upgrade kit is installed. We’re working with a tough crowd here!

5th element starts with a nice one, only quite hard to capture the streaking .....
My 1292 is not too bad with streaking, but it would be great to get rid of it Thumbs Up

André

5thstreak.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.63 KB
 Viewed:  14385 Time(s)

5thstreak.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="speedyandre"]
RogueChili wrote:

5th element starts with a nice one, only quite hard to capture the streaking .....
My 1292 is not too bad with streaking, but it would be great to get rid of it Thumbs Up

André

Great, I'll check it out! With and without mods.

This scene from Batman Begins is ugly on my 1292, both streaking and shadows. If you have it check it out, let me know.
[/img]

IMG_3609.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.23 KB
 Viewed:  11805 Time(s)

IMG_3609.JPG

Analog Marty

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah,count me in !

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: 1292 mods streaking fix Reply with quote

I am in for the mods. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... do we have a timeframe/cost estimate ready for this ?

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and any updates?

I am still very very interested, is Andre doing a test for you?
speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not testing yet because I don't have the schematics etc.
Looking to the test pcb I think I could make one myself if no smd components are involved Wink
If needed I can place smd's at work having the right equipment available there.

André

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things are required to move forward, the mod has to be tested to prove its functionality and a trusting relationship has to be established between all parties. I will not invest in having the PC boards made until we have a mutual warm and fuzzy feeling.

What I ask is that some capable trusting member sends me their boards for modifications so we can start the ball rolling.

Send me your boards and I will return, free of charge, a set of modified and tested boards ready to install. I will also supply instructions explaining how to safely remove the boards from your machine. See attached draft, to get an idea of what is involved. This is a preliminary document.

Who will be the first?

KT1292001r.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  KT1292001r.doc
 Filesize:  252 KB
 Downloaded:  509 Time(s)

freak1

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

since I'm quite new at projectors, I won't be taking my projector apart myself.. too bad though because it will be another 2 months before I can actually install it. maybe speedyandre and met could forge a deal? I am willing to test the mod on my porjector, just need some help taking it apart.
RogueChili

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak1 wrote:
Hi,

since I'm quite new at projectors, I won't be taking my projector apart myself.. too bad though because it will be another 2 months before I can actually install it. maybe speedyandre and met could forge a deal? I am willing to test the mod on my porjector, just need some help taking it apart.

One clarification, the mod works 100% guaranteed! The only reason for my request for someone to test it is to prove it to the community.

I hope you can find a way to get updated before you do the install! The overall experience is greatly improved with the mods installed. Without the mods, I would prefer my 1252 over my 1292 any day. And that is my honest opinion. In fact, after watching one movie on my newly acquired 1292 it was down on the floor and the 1252 was back on the ceiling.
freak1

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you located btw?

I am very interested in the mod, I'm just looking up against the whole taking apart the projector with my little projector-knowledge.
speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent a pm, I'll volunteer Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Sending my spare neckboards is easy, I can swap them when they return Wink

André

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 1292 in great shape too if you want me to document a before/after test.
speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I can speed down the neckboard fans when this mod is used.
Sony added these fans to minimize the streaking problem, I wouldn't complain if I could reduce the noise further Wink

André

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedyandre wrote:
I wonder if I can speed down the neckboard fans when this mod is used.
Sony added these fans to minimize the streaking problem, I wouldn't complain if I could reduce the noise further ;)

André

Funny you ask that! Someone posted a poll on the cooling efficiency regarding covers on vs. covers off and it got me started. Well, that and all the slams about the noise from the 1292.

One thing I found is reversing the to main fans reduces the noise significantly. The problem is what effect this has on the cooling efficiency. I am in process of determining that now with trusty temp probe attached. If anything comes of it I will post.
speedyandre

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 exhaust fans on top should blow the air out of the 1292.
All other fans are blowing into the 1292.
When you reverse the exhaust fans the hot air doesn't go the right direction and maybe stays inside.
I have replaced the 2 exhaust fans for Papst 4412F/2GL and placed them in series to lower the speed.
This is only working well if you fake the fan protection by shorting the black (or blue) and yellow fan wires.
The fans of the PS are still unchanged because I blew a PS when I lowered their speed Twisted Evil
Other fans have blu-tack between them and the chassis to eliminate vibration.
My 1292 now has a noise level like a big tower pc, there's no roaring anymore, only hissing Thumbs Up

André

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy - During my experimenting I am using zener diodes to control the fan speed. If inserted in the positive fan lead the tach circuit will continue to work properly. One caution, the zener power rating must be considered.

So, with the original neck board fan removed, and replaced by two 12v micro fans, the temperature on the heat sink is lower than with the original fan and you can't hear the micro fans. More testing to do but looks promising! You can see the two fans in the pic.

IMG_3686.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  238.41 KB
 Viewed:  11776 Time(s)

IMG_3686.JPG

Frenchman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought a nice 1292 with low hours from Curt recently and I am interested in the mod. Put me on the list! Very Happy
grogthegreat

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoqueChili: How much time would it take for a swap? If people want to see before and after pictures on someone else's machine than I have a setup sony 1292 in Norfolk MA which is a 1 1/2 hour drive. I don't have the extra cash for the mod but feel free to come over to take before and after pics. This way you won't have to ship anything and you can do the install yourself so you know it is done right.

There are some potential problems in that my green tube has a spot where the phosphor is delaminating from the tube face. This leaves a blob on the screen where you can't focus the green which then makes things in that circle greener than it should be. I don't know if will mess up any before/after pics.
Also of note is that I'm running the pj off of a HTPC filled with HD movies. I don't have a blueray player or any other HD source I do have gamma adjustment but without a colormeter I had to set the greyscale and colors by eye which, while good, aren't perfect.

On the plus side, I do have noticeable streaking. If you are considering this than let me know and I'll post a pic.
Cheers,
-Greg D.

100" 3:4 draper screen.

I must keep upgrading till the voices stop!!

"I CAN HAZ CRT PRUJEKTER."
-Curt Palme
jvanderwalker

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roguechili,
I noticed a 10 turn pot on your board. Have you considered long term stability? I have a 1292 on permanent loan to a friend since I have a XG 75. Unfortunately my XG green tube cracked and I may be resurrecting the 1292. I live in the same town and I have calibration equipment. PM me if you are interested in a unbiased opinion on the circuit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11
Jump to: