Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Interesting dilemna about Rear Projection screens

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiev Savoie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Interesting dilemna about Rear Projection screens Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK, so if you are familiar with my other posts you may know that i am working on an RP setup with an 80" screen. I found a Mitsubishi VS-8087 80" 4:3 aspect ratio RPTV about 7 hours drive away. This gives me a great mirror and optical screen in one package and just barely fits my budget. However, I came across a Draper Diamond Screen for about the same price.

http://www.draperinc.com/ProjectionScreens/ScreensProducts.asp?detail=150

This one appears to be a 78" diagonal 16:9 screen with a professional frame. I'm sure you guys have seen it. I would be stuck having to find a mirror and i would not have the flexibility to use all of the tube face as i would with a 4:3 screen, but man, this thing is the top of the line latest technolgy.

It seems like the diamond screen will perform better than the screen from the old RPTV made in the mid 90's, but i'm not sure. Optics technology does seem to constantly improve, but we are talking about the same fresnel/lenticular concept for both screens. Oh, and the Diamond screen retails for like 8 or 9 THOUSAND dollars, so it's a steal and I get to brag about that fact if I buy it.

What do you guys think?
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large first-surface RP Mirrors are easy to find, but impossible to ship... I've given away 3.

I might have one more in the storage room. Where are you located?
Kiev Savoie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in louisiana. yeah, one way or another I can get some kind of mirror for the job. it will just require a little more effort.
PiDD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Draper Diamond Screen

Can I ask where you found a draper diamond screen for a reasonable price?
View user's photo album (11 photos)
Kiev Savoie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a total fluke. an AV company was getting rid of it on ebay. something that was ordered for a project but never used. i won it for $500 plus shipping and it just happened to be the exact size i needed.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiev Savoie wrote:
it was a total fluke. an AV company was getting rid of it on ebay. something that was ordered for a project but never used. i won it for $500 plus shipping and it just happened to be the exact size i needed.

Sweet! I love it when stuff like that happens, don't you?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Kiev Savoie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i think this is the biggest score i've ever made on ebay!
PiDD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow no kidding ... now lets see .. search 103" Draper Diamond lol
View user's photo album (11 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that is a great score. I am not the biggest fan of RP for CRT, but a great screen can make a difference. Peter over at AVS had a demo with DNPs best screen using 3 chip DLP and it looked excellent. The DNPs are state of the art and were used in a lot of the RPTVs over the last couple of years. I wonder if Draper is sourcing their screens from DNP, someone else or making their own. If it is on the same level as the DNP I saw, then you should be pleased.
Kiev Savoie

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, i know it is a one piece acrylic design with the fresnel pattern impressed on the back and the lenticular pattern on the front insted of two seperate pieces the way they used to do it. Da-lite has a product that appears to be identical with the same 3.5 gain ratio. maybe they are getting there stuff from the same supplier. Of course Draper does proclaim there diamond screen as the best performer in the world. I'll buy that for dollar!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: