Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Thermal fuses on transformers "to protect the transform

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Thermal fuses on transformers "to protect the transform Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
If the idea is truly to protect the transformer, then why the heck do they bury them deep inside the windings so that it is un-serviceable. It's junk anyway. Rolling Eyes

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
Heywood Jablome

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the transformer would already have melted down and shorted by the time a more serviceable fuse pops... (being thermal, at least in part, it must be embedded in the windings.) I'm surprised it's not a Klixon self-resetting circuit breaker.
"Those countries which lag behind in industry, in the application of mechanics and technical chemistry, in the careful selection and utilization of natural products, where the respect for such activities does not permeate all classes of society, will unfailingly decline in prosperity. They will sink faster when neighbor states, with an energetic exchange between science and industry, go forward with renewed vitality."
-- Baron Alexander von Humboldt: 1769-1859
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking autobot or decepticon here? It makes a difference, you know... Smile

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost always an easy fix. Cut open the outside wax paper layer of the windings, expose the fuse solder points, short out the fuse with a jumper wire, throw electrical tape around the whole transformer to hide the exposed 110 volt windings, you're done.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
Are we talking autobot or decepticon here? It makes a difference, you know... Smile

Damn you beat me to it Optomus.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
It's almost always an easy fix. Cut open the outside wax paper layer of the windings, expose the fuse solder points, short out the fuse with a jumper wire, throw electrical tape around the whole transformer to hide the exposed 110 volt windings, you're done.

Do you offer fire insurance with that, Curt?

I've certainly done that, but I replace the damn fuse! Don't give anyone ideas. Shocked

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooopsie double stamped

stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy as a pig in $hit just to get it going long enough to figure out the secondary voltage. That way I could source a aftermarket transformer to replace it with.

stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heywood Jablome wrote:
Because the transformer would already have melted down and shorted by the time a more serviceable fuse pops... (being thermal, at least in part, it must be embedded in the windings.) I'm surprised it's not a Klixon self-resetting circuit breaker.

A fuseable link is way cheaper and takes up way less space and makes it throw-away. Just the way the suppliers like it Rolling Eyes

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:

I've certainly done that, but I replace the damn fuse! Don't give anyone ideas. Shocked

Frankly, I don't bother. I've NEVER had a thermal fuse blow for good reason, ie transformer shorted, causing overheating.

EVERY amp, receiver. etc that I've seen has had another fuse to protect the unit in case of overload, (in series with the line cord) so there's already protection.

I don't think anything electronic with only a thermal fuse internal to the transformer would pass US or Canadian electrical code.
lostmandan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace a control board on a kitchen stove because of a thermal fuse issue. The power was out and when it came back on the stove controller transformer got nuked. I ended up buying the minimum quantity of 25 fuses to replace the defective on the transformer. I guess I could have jumped it but I figure a stove is plugged in 24/7 and not exactly a safe device if something untoward happens.

I had been told that jumping the fuse on the control would cause problems with insurance if anything happened. That being said, it was the manufacturer's repair center that told me. I politely declined to buy the $450 control and dug up the fuses online.

That being said, I have run an older Sansui receiver for over a decade with a jumper over the thermal fuse. Another example of a weak fuse - no over heat, no excessive load - the device just went open and made the receiver garbage.
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Tinman wrote:

Frankly, I don't bother. I've NEVER had a thermal fuse blow for good reason, ie transformer shorted, causing overheating.

EVERY amp, receiver. etc that I've seen has had another fuse to protect the unit in case of overload, (in series with the line cord) so there's already protection.

I don't think anything electronic with only a thermal fuse internal to the transformer would pass US or Canadian electrical code.

This is a transformer in a power supply that is part of the amp in a active subwoofer. It does have a fuse on the line in and a thermal on/in the transformer. The owners manual states that if the thermal blows, you must replace the transformer. My gripe is, there are many things external to the transformer that can cause it to heat up, not just shorted windings.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I've never had a case where one of those fuses blew for a legit reason. To boot, I used to work at a small appliance/TV repair shop, and countless thermal fuses were replaced in coffee makers. I think I remember hearing the appliance guy say once:

'Wow, a thermal fuse actually blew because the heating element was shorted'. Every other time, the fuse blew for no reason. In a coffeemaker however, that fuse is the ONLY fuse in the unit, and yes, in that case it was never bypassed. Smile
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you might be right. I don't have it in front of me at this time. The power input fuse has been checked and is OK. It seems as it is not getting power. When it gets here I'll ge to the bottom of it.

Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Curt, I agree with ya there. I have yet top see a blown thermal fuse due to heat. I think they pop from surge current most of the time. Regardless, I always fuse the transformer again, even if it's only a regular fuse. Just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: