Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Pointing the Eye-One at the screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kendo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Pointing the Eye-One at the screen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am not convinced I am positioning the colorimeter correctly. According to (my interpretation of) Kal's clear instructions, it should point toward the screen in a way that, if the screen was a mirror, the Eye-One would point at the reflection of the projector. I imagine that if I had a high gain screen, which would have a hot-spot to point at, I would get the positioning results Kal suggests. But I have a screen with at most a 1.0 gain, so no hot-spot. When I follow the instructions, the highest FtL reading comes when the Eye-One points 90 degrees to the projector. The front face of the Eye-One is just still in shadow from the projector's light. This is about 70 degrees to the screen, since the Eye-One is near the lower left corner of the window. Is it "looking" at the entire 100 IRE window? Should I point it at the "mirror reflection" point in spite of the FtL readings?

~Ken
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just point it and move it till i get the highest reading i can and leave it there. Unless you make an extension arm for the probe to get a beter position to the angle of the reflected light, its not going to be perfect, but close is good enough.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Kendo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experimented with how the I1 "looks" at what it is measuring by pointing it at the lit screen (100% Grey window) and moving a black cloth into its field of view to see where the mask started affecting the readings. It looks like the I1 has about a 70 degree field of view. So when I positioned it near the corner of the windowed test pattern and adjusted it for maximum FtL readings, that 70 degree field of view causes the I1 to "look" way off to the side as I described in the OP.

In other words, pilot error. And now I know a bit more about how the I1 works.

Nashou66's idea about an extension arm has me thinking, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: