Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Is a scaler & sdi dvd player better than an upscaler pla

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louthewiz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Is a scaler & sdi dvd player better than an upscaler pla Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was curious as the differences between the two since I do have one of each connected to my 720p dlp projector (Since I don't have room for a crt),,
I had an oppo 980H which I sold since I prefer my denon 1600 sdi modded dvd player with an iSCAN HD+
because the picture to me is alot better than the Oppo's picture.
So what I wanted to know is what is your preference and why.
I also have an additional hd-a2 hd dvd player that does a very good job scaling dvds and plays hd-dvds very nicely. Thumbs Up
Denon & scaler

Oppo

rabies_70

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my setup I have a Toshiba HD-A2, Samsung BD-P1200 and a Denon 1600 SDI, digital audio. All run into a DVDO iScan HD+. The DVDO outputs everything 1080i to a moome card in the g70. I haven't done the comparison for a while but whenever I watch a regular dvd I always use the Denon. I think the picture is really good. I certainly can tell a difference when a blue ray or HD are playing. But I REALLY like the way the SDI image looks too.

Then again I am by NO means an extremely critical viewer, I still need to adjust my mechanical setup and fine tune and on and on and on....

I did get a second HD-A2 from Zebu the other day and hooked it up to our 57" Hitachi RPTV downstairs and I think it does an outstanding job feeding upscaled SD DVD. The picture was really nice I thought. I just remember thinking during A/B comparisons originally SDI looked better than the upscaled in the theater.

And as always my standard disclaimer, But what the hell do I know.

I am an iconoclast
louthewiz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was cool , keep it coming guys.
Glen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done any testing lately, however, I did prefer my Denon DVD-5900 SDI over the Toshiba XA2. The XA2 does an outstanding job with SD, however I thought the SDI-Lumagen HDQ looked slightly better. Is it worth the difference?.......... really depends on the viewer. I would like to try the SDI in a DVD player with higher bandwidth. The Toshiba is visibly better than the Denon, (component into Lumagen Radiance, no SDI).
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a denon 1600 SDi moded by Gary murell and I too think it is much better than my HD player (LG BH 100). But as was said earlier nothing beats HD material no matter what format.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Axatax

TV/Projector: Sony VPH-G70Q (aka Barco Cine8 Onyx)

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used an SDI modified Denon 2900 for SD DVD since mid 2004. When I did the mod, the only other readily available players with DVI output were the Bravo D1/D2, so the choice was easy. I used the 2900 paired with a Holo3D, then a VP30, and soon a Crystalio II 3300 (arriving this afternoon). Projector is a G70 with John's DVI card.

I like the 2900 so I have no intentions of removing it from my setup.

SDI still has advantages, but if I had to replace the 2900, I would opt for a new Denon one or two notches down from the flagship 5910 and skip the SDI. The DVI card in the G70 handles HDCP, and HDMI provides an all digital signal path from the player to the processor (precisely why I opted for SDI on the 2900).
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing with HDMI though it still may have something being done to the signal where with SDI you are 100 % sure nothing is altered. Aslo some players do not
allow 480i out from HDMI. That would make it a little bit better . Gary Murell is the expert on this stuff though.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am moving over my H3D II card into a new htpc (for Bluray) and will use the SDI'ed RP91 with it.

An older H3D card will be used in a second pc set up for music playback solely, with an Oppo 980H (for SACD/DVD-A solely) using the htpc case's lcd display. 2900 for SACD/DVD-A playback has been displaced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: