Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Recommendations for PC hookup to LCD Monitor & HDTV

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsec

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Recommendations for PC hookup to LCD Monitor & HDTV Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Looking for recommendations for PC to Monitor & HDTV hookup (and possible hardware recommendations):

My PC:
NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT VGA DVI with 256 MB
AVerMedia M791 NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner Card
(Back panel illustration attached)

My monitor:
Gateway FPD2275W TFT LCD (HD-ready: DVI-D with HDCP input)

My TV:
Mitsubishi WS-5551 HDTV Projection TV (no DVI or HDMI ports)
(2003 model with DVT input only - Manuel states DTV ports can be configured for HDTV signal types component (YPrPb), RGB sync on green, and RGB plus H&V - not quite sure what this all means).

I tech chatted with a rep from Monoprice.com (which also led me to the HD Fury website). He suggested that I could run cable from the PC's VGI output, along with VGI and 5 RCA adaptors, and an HD Fury (or HD Fury 2) to my TV's DVT ports. Would this would work to get 1080 resolution out of my HDTV?

A few related questions:

1. Would it be helpful (or better) to update my video card in order to be able to connect my PC monitor and TV to separate ports? I read that the ATI cards were better at having capabilities of using the PC to serf the web and still be able to watch movies, etc. on the TV (if this is the case, what cards are best - I hope to use Media Center and also have cable or satellite through my tuner card (is the tuner card adequate?). Is splitting the signal to run lines to both monitor and TV a poor idea?

2. Is getting 1080 resolution (on the non-HDCP TV) from a blu ray drive a problem without using the HD Fury (or something similar)?

3. My Computer and HDTV are on different levels of my home. Is resolution affected by the length of lines run (25 ft)?

4. Would the cable line be split (run to my PC and cable box) or does this pose a problem? Does the cable line (output?) also have to be run to the TV?

I hope this makes sense! Thanks for the help! If I can figure this out and order the necessary parts, I may be able to catch a few bowl games in HD!

John

GM5478_BV2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.46 KB
 Viewed:  9206 Time(s)

GM5478_BV2.jpg

GM5478_BV2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.46 KB
 Viewed:  9206 Time(s)

GM5478_BV2.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"RGB plus H&V" is the same thing that is being output by the VGA port on your video card. The only difference is the physical connector. You simply need to buy a breakout cable which physically has an HD-15 connector on one end and breaks out to have five RCA-style.

Monoprice you to carry these cables, but for some reason I am not finding them on their website this morning (stopped carrying them?).

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I find this cable, no adapters would be necessary? I thought the VGA port on my computer was analog (or were you meaning I would also need a HD fury to complete this connection - in order to create HD and for my TV to simulate HDCP compliance). That would be great if I could do this because I could use the DVI port from my video card to connect to my computer? Does this sound correct??

John

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what you refer to as VGA is actually an HD-15 PHYSICAL interface that is capable of outputting in analog signal. But since i have no idea what the back panel on your Mitsubishi WS-5551 it is hard to accurately guide you. Can you take and post a picture of this back panel, or provide a URL (link) to the manual?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Back panel of Mitsubishi HDTV Reply with quote

I have tried many ways to attach the file to no success. The PDF (I was also not able to attach) is available at http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/support.html. You may have to fill in the model ws-55511 in order to bring up the product manual. A visual of the back panel of my TV is on page 13. Thanks again for your help!!!
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Back panel of Mitsubishi HDTV Reply with quote

jsec wrote:
I have tried many ways to attach the file to no success. The PDF (I was also not able to attach) is available at http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/support.html. You may have to fill in the model ws-55511 in order to bring up the product manual. A visual of the back panel of my TV is on page 13. Thanks again for your help!!!

Hi jsec, the easier way to do it is to use the Componenet output dongle for your video card and just run 3 conponenet cables to you Mitsubishi, Enable the conponenet outputs in the Video control panel and check off the 1080i box for resolutions. This should give you a 1080i picture on your TV.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jsec

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: I'm learning... Reply with quote

Sorry, my HD lingo is in it's beginning stages. To which output from my video card are you referring: the DVI, the VGA, or the TV out? And would I need adaptors to run the line to my TV via my DTV inputs (red, blue, and green inputs)? Is the fact that my TV is not HTCP compliant an issue? Thanks for your help!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are DTV inputs??
jsec

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the 5 RCA inputs colored red, blue, green (video) and white, red (audio). There is a visual of the back of my TV on the Mitsubishi website (see the earlier thread).

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean component video and stereo audio.
jsec

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm a little confused (sorry the Mitsubishi link brings you to the homepage - need to click on "support", then click on "product documents", then enter product #WS-5551, the picture of the back panel is on manual pg. 13 of the PDF). The Mitsubishi rep told me these inputs were the only way I could get High Definition. With a 5 RCA adapter and line going to my PC's VGI output. A tech rep. from monoprice told me this would work if a HD Fury (or Fury 2) was connected in the line to convert the signal. On the Fury website it mentioned this was necessary because my HDTV was not HTCP compliant (my PC and Monitor are). Does this sound right?

JSEC

PS - It must be sunny and warm in Australia. I'm in Iowa and we had a quarter inch of ice on the ground (pretty slippery)!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice? That's the stuff you put in a drink right?

It's going to be 29 here today - we are off to the beach Smile
jsec

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

29 degrees? Oh, that must be celsius (holy cow thats's 84 F).....and you're right, ice belongs in a drink (another job to do - hooking up my fridge's icemaker)! After you get back from the beach (have fun), when you get a chance, let me know if my last reply does make sense.

JSEC

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
What are DTV inputs??
For a short period of time Mitsubishi labeled the HD-capable inputs as DTV, meaning Digital TV (ATSC). This wasn't always the case with Mitsubishi, and I think they changed the label to HD/HDTV/High-Definition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: