Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Curved screens - CRTs and lens recommendations/experiances
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noos@xp37+

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Curved screens - CRTs and lens recommendations/experiances Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

I want to go for the curved screen solution in the future. Probably I can use some of my old equipment, probably not. I even would start over again and buy new toys, but I do not want to go the trail and error way again. So I would like to ask all the people here that have gathered experiences with curved screens and CRT projectors to share their knowledge. So, please let us unkowing know what lenses to use and which geometry of certain CRTs allows best curve angles.

I have heard about the G70VR and the ultra rare HD-134 to focus good on curves. And I heard of some BR 909 lenses that should be good for curves. Right, wrong? What about the HACC, HD6/8, HD144/155, HD117/114, HD 215 and so on?

On this thread in the middle you can download the great torus/curved calculator - see for yourself what it does for you...

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=5627244&&#post5627244

So, feel free to join the discussion

Greeting from Germany

noos
Chuchuf

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As posred on AVS:
On 9" CRT's the Sony G90 HD10F (not the 1292 HD10F's) do a pretty good job overall on a mildly curved screen.
Then of course there is the HRQ900 lens's that were designed for a curved screen. Also the Manaquin lens's are curve screen as well.

Terry
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do tell if the Delta HD10f is from a G90 or a 1292 ?
zGman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1292 hd10f 's that I have seen all have a felt gripping surface applied around the barrels,
also. on later model lenses, there's a small print serial #, which I have observed the first
four numerals have always corresponded pretty closely to the PJ's build year. This has
been true for the hfq900's, gt17's. and several sets of 10f's that I have had thru here in the
last couple years.

I think there is a hRq900 that was made for curved screen. for the OP, these are all
9" lenses. I am using a curved screen (in the H direction only) for a gaming system,
with an old 1208 and HD8 lenses, and it's working out alright, there's a lot of curve,
so the corners aren't so sharp - but its just a driving game, so that doesn't matter...

For a curved or torus screen to work well, you will need a higher gain (retro-reflective)
material. If you use a material that has good angular dispersion, the contrast will go to
heck. Although, oddly, the wilsonart material I am using for mine is working pretty well
for the gaming - but haven't 't watched a movie on it - yet....!

G
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both made by Delta ? Seems like the lens design should still be the same ?
zGman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

I guess I am not the only insomniac around here! (and a very merry christmas to you as well!)

Anyhow - the G90 hd10f are much more similar to the hfq900's (hd10E) in extensive testing
here and at Terry's. They have a lot more 'depth of field' - if that is the right photographic term.

The 1292 lenses are good - don't get me wrong - but the later model design is more advanced in
AR coatings and the ability to have great uniformity of focus across the screen, and an amazing
ability (equivilent to the hfq900) to get good edge and corner focus on Terry's 'torus' 10' wide screen,
plus a greater range of screen widths before running out of focus...Good luck finding a set though..!

One thing I learned this year - somewhat unrelated - is that the HD120 lenses as supplied on the Cine9
(runco DTV-1200 and also the DTV-1101) are actually very impressive. We did a heads up
comparison here with the DTV-1200, and the HD120's seemed to have slightly better intra-scene
contrast than the hfq900, and could still obtain good corner focus. But they are limited in 'depth-of-field' and
workable screen sizes compared to the hd10f(g90) and hd10e(hfq900). I will be fine using them
on a 96"x54" screen though, that seems to be the ideal position.

Regards,
Galen
noos@xp37+

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a curved or torus screen to work well, you will need a higher gain (retro-reflective)
material. If you use a material that has good angular dispersion, the contrast will go to
heck. Although, oddly, the wilsonart material I am using for mine is working pretty well
for the gaming - but haven't 't watched a movie on it - yet....!

Hello zGman,

and thanks for the data on the HD-8 in your driving simulator. How much is much curve in your setup? Could you tell me how many inchs or cm the left and the right corner are delayed to the front. And how wide is your screen. This will give me an idea how many percent of delay the Hd-8 could handle. Do you have a chance to test the HD 144 or the HD145 lenses in your configuration? I am happy to hear about the HD-8 because I have a good unused 1272 with them (HD-8m) here around. Was thinking to get 145s for it, but this depends on their curved abilities.

Thanks to all the others providing hard data

Best wishes

noos
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info here, I just wanted to clarify something. Galen says you need a retro-reflective screen, I believe this is incorrect. I don't think that curving a retro-reflective screen (such as the Dalite Hi-Power that I have) will have the desired effect. As far as I know, only angular reflective screens can be used for curved and torus screens, there was a discussion about it here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83058#83058

Interesting about the HD-120's though!! How much of an improvement do you think these are over regular HD-10's?
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a great lens is an art in itself ! Smile
zGman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the clarification on the screen type - my limited understanding was simply
that a limited angular dispersion is important so the the rest of the image isn't
washed out.

As far as the HD120's - the one's I have tested came on 2001/2002 Barco/Runco
models. The Barco Cine9 brochure lists the lens as HD120, but the Runco version
has no label. Within their range, the focus is equivalent to the G90 hd10F, but
you have to work harder for it, and they won't work well for a curved screen.
Gets back to the depth of field idea, and/or range of outer region focus control.

For noos, I will take some measurements and post a couple pics maybe over
the weekend - too much going on for the next couple days.

I can tell you I am almost 8' wide, the depth of the curve is about 10",
the radius of curvature is about 9' or more, and the PJ is table mounted
with quite a lot of angle, so the the lens optical axis is centered on and
perpendicular to the screen, which is very close to the floor. This would
be considered "0" projection angle, which is important, because the offset
projection angle typical in an HT will "use up" all the depth of field of the lens.
At least that's how I understand it.

We tested this somewhat inadverdantly by doing the initial test setup
with the screen frame leaning agianst the wall. corner focus was poor,
but when we got the screen stand roughed in at the corect angle,
focus improved considerably. (and yes we know about schliemphlug...!)

You can test for focus range in your set-up using a nice sharp grid
pattern, a friend, and a square of white cardboard.

Tom - I totally agree, lens building is still an art, and my experience is
that 3M/Delta has gotten better and better over the years. I have a set
of 2002 HD8's here that are very much nicer than the 1996 models...

Regards,
G
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is safe to say the lenses are getting better Wink
noos@xp37+

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helllo,

and thanks for all the data you provided. It really helps a lot to consider the path for the future setup.

Thanks

noos

Any other experiances are still welcome...
noos@xp37+

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuchuf wrote:
As posred on AVS:
On 9" CRT's the Sony G90 HD10F (not the 1292 HD10F's) do a pretty good job overall on a mildly curved screen.
Then of course there is the HRQ900 lens's that were designed for a curved screen. Also the Manaquin lens's are curve screen as well.

Terry

Old Post, but what are these Manaquin lenses?

Thanks

Here my test results on a 3,6m wide test curve (variable) screen. Percentage is the depth of the screen in relation to the width. All results are the absolute maximum, before the corners start to get unsharp.

HD8m: ~10%
HD8Revb: ~15%
HD6mlc clear: ~20%
HD145 clear:20%
AC seos 7/8" curve lense(not corner focus adjustment, no sticker, no flat screen - long full metal beasts):~20%
HD117-24: close to 0%! Had even problems to focus flat, but then razor sharp.
HD10: 10% with Glycol, 20%(!!!!!) with water as coolant (flat is not possible anymore, but then razor sharp)
HD18: Do not have them, but someone I know had very poor results with them. 8" LC is a problem with curve.

Next setup in the very close future:
HD134(8"LC): I have a set of them now. (need clear Sony elements by the way)
HD117-12: Have them...
HD145 filtered: Have them...
HD6mlc filtered: Have them...
HD10F/L/GT/180/120/300...:As you can see, want to get (buy) all as many Hd10 lenses of the HD10 series (also an other set of normal ones) as possible, so that I can test them also.

Best regards

Marc
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two (not three) pieces of unfiltered HD6-Ds (and one HD6-C not ML, unfiltered) if you want you can grab them for free just pay the shipping from Hungary or pick up locally Smile
View user's photo album (1 photos)
noos@xp37+

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
I have two (not three) pieces of unfiltered HD6-Ds (and one HD6-C not ML, unfiltered) if you want you can grab them for free just pay the shipping from Hungary or pick up locally Smile

Thanks, but nerver heard of them. I will think about (for my collection)....
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the HD6-D were in electrohome ECPs the HD6-C is from a barco (because there is a barco sign on the sticker)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test. How do you measure unsharp?
noos@xp37+

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Interesting test. How do you measure unsharp?

...I did use testpattern. If the corners started to look diffrent than the center, they were too soft.

Regards form Munich
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime I got a set of Sony PT-65 lens for free, if you need you can get is as well (ps. one of them have broken two of the mounting "legs")
noos@xp37+

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
In the meantime I got a set of Sony PT-65 lens for free, if you need you can get is as well (ps. one of them have broken two of the mounting "legs")

very mindful that you have identified the missing PT lenses. I waiting for a set since a time. I have not given up hope yet. But it is great to hear about your offer if it won´t work!

Tested HD134 yesterday: Good overall focus after scheimpfung on flat screen when using glycol - but 0%-2% or 3% curve is possiblle.
With water even more good focus on flat screen - 4-5% percent curve. But these are very optimistic numbers. Be happy if you can focus the corner on a flat screen (WATER AND GLYCOL).
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: