Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Need a new TV for Mom!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Need a new TV for Mom! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My first 19 year old Toshba 55" RPTV I sold to my parents finally died. The convergence is way out of wack so I'm looking for a new set for her. I figure a 720p unit is good enough, she will only be watching OTA HD and SD Dish Network.

This Samsung 50" Plasma for $960 with free shipping looks like a pretty good bang for the buck... Any input?

It has 1,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio & 30,000:1 Contrast Ratio is that real or BS?

Mike

Last edited by MikeEby on Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:39 am; edited 3 times in total
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is the BF plasma that everyone has advertising for next to nothing. I saw it at Sears and it was turned up past scorching and looked terrible. It was very large though and at a distance of about 15' looked pretty great.

I am still holding out for the 50" 1080p Panny plasma. I think I saw them for $1300.

You could probably get a higher resolution LCD but it will have a pretty awful black level...but for everyday TV viewing I could care less.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks greg! This Panasonic 50" Plasma for $1000 looks like might be a better deal.

A few people have complained about burns with the Samsung. Since she will only be doing OTA-HD, no Blu-ray or games so 720p should be good enough. She also wanted to hold the price near $1K so this should fill the bill.
Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents own both a Samsung and a Panasonic plasma. Both are about the same quality, and both suffer the same amount of burn from video games. Unlike CRT's though, it goes away after a little bit.

If you go to a best buy or circuit city you can check out what the different sizes, brand, types look like. However keep in mind that they are all pretty much uncalibrated.
timbo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 50px80 is the follow-up to the 50px75. The 75 was a very well regarded model. The 80 is virtually identical and also very well regarded.

1000 of our pesos will only get us the 42" version. I'm thinking that the 50" will be under $1000 in Canada sometime next year during The Great Depression.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn wrote:

If you go to a best buy or circuit city you can check out what the different sizes, brand, types look like. However keep in mind that they are all pretty much uncalibrated.

Well I measured the spot and the 50" Panny was about 3/4" too wide so have to settle for something a tad smaller. I usually hate the local Superstores but I would go check some of the deal they were offering. We had a new hhgregg that just opened a few weeks ago and they had this new in box 47" JVC LCD for 1080p for $850 the picture blew away the Panny & Samsung Plasma... It no motion artifacts and really deep rich blacks compaired to the plasmas. I have to say these digital sets have improved drastically from a few years ago the Dynamic Gamma seem to really work well in somehow making 1500:1 CR look great. After I set it up I watched a little bit of Elf on CBS tonight, it looked as good or better then my Mits CRT RPTV. Sad

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new TV for Mom! Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
My first 19 year old Toshba 55" RPTV I sold to my parents finally died. The convergence is way out of wack so I'm looking for a new set for her. I figure a 720p unit is good enough, she will only be watching OTA HD and SD Dish Network.

This Samsung 50" Plasma for $960 with free shipping looks like a pretty good bang for the buck... Any input?

It has 1,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio & 30,000:1 Contrast Ratio is that real or BS?

Mike

Since there is no regulation in electronics marketing then the manufacturer is at liberty to skew and outright lie without fear of legal action. And considering the majority of buyers are cowsumers then the behavior is only reinforced that much more.

I do not know of anyone around me with the environment and equipment to measure 30K:1 device-level contrast, and that is only more exaggerated when talking about the cowsumer population.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new TV for Mom! Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
cowsumers

Drink!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already have this morning. I'm on vacation and vacation stomachs don't care what time they are being abused.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Costco had 50" 1080P Plamsa for $1199.99 Vizio, $1449.99 Panasonic. The 1366x768 units were well under $1K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: