Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

DVI/HDMI Wall Plates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: DVI/HDMI Wall Plates? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey, thinking about cleaning up behind my rack and eliminating some of the wall passthrough of cables by putting in plates. This would include an HDMI or DVI plate. Two questions:
1) Since this is digital, in theory, a wall plate should not degrade the signal in anyway. Has anyone tested this theory?

2) Currently, my PJ is DVI and the Lumagen output is DVI, so I'll probably put in a DVI wall plate. However, and HDMI one would be more "future" ready (though since we will likely move next year I probably don't care about being future ready for the new owner..but). In theory, this will work just like a DVI/HDMI adapter in my current display chain, which have been known to be problematic in the past. What is the current state of the art--problematic or not? I have both DVI and HDMI/DVI BJC high quality cables for the long run, so either is no difference in cost to me. Smile

Thanks,

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing I don't like about HDMI connectors is that they come disconnected too easily.

I have a Gefen 1080i->1080P deinterlacer that I use on my HD DVR. It has a thumbscrew on the HDMI cable & connector... very similar to the HD15/VGA monitor connectors.

Anyways, I'd lean towards HDMI for your cover plate... most HT sources and projectors use HDMI... and as HDMI rises over the next few years, DVI will become less and less.

I doubt the extra connectors will make much of a difference in 90% of use cases, but if you are pushing the limits on cable length and multiple adapters, then I'd start looking for ways to avoid the extra connections.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:

I doubt the extra connectors will make much of a difference in 90% of use cases, but if you are pushing the limits on cable length and multiple adapters, then I'd start looking for ways to avoid the extra connections.

I don't think so. Cable from wall plate to PJ is 23'. Cable from Lumagen to wall plate will be 3'. So 26' total.

Also, I found a wall plate that just lets me slip through and bolt on a DVI cable. So, I'll do that with the 23' cable's end. The 3' cable would be a male to female "extension cable" which could mean only 1 connection instead of the typical 2 with a wall plate. I'll pick up a 3' extension cable and try it out.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an extra data point, my buddy is just in the process of finishing his non-dedicated family/media room, and is using an HDMI wall plate on one end, and hasn't had any issues. I'm sure his in-wall run is in the 20' or 25' ballpark. His setup is the opposite of yours at the moment... i.e. PS3 -> long BJC HDMI cable -> wall plate -> short HDMI cable -> Panny AX200. Soon, he'll have a wall plate (and another HDMI cable) at the source end, too.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
The main thing I don't like about HDMI connectors is that they come disconnected too easily.

Clarence,

I'm not sure if you've seen them but you can get HDMI cables that bolt on with the screw above the plug.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Just as an extra data point, my buddy is just in the process of finishing his non-dedicated family/media room, and is using an HDMI wall plate on one end, and hasn't had any issues. I'm sure his in-wall run is in the 20' or 25' ballpark. His setup is the opposite of yours at the moment... i.e. PS3 -> long BJC HDMI cable -> wall plate -> short HDMI cable -> Panny AX200. Soon, he'll have a wall plate (and another HDMI cable) at the source end, too.

SC

I thought about both sides, but my ceiling side is hidden in a "mount enclosure", so just popping out is not that bad.

Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
Clarence wrote:

Clarence,

I'm not sure if you've seen them but you can get HDMI cables that bolt on with the screw above the plug.

yep... read my post above... "I have a Gefen... has a thumbscrew on the HDMI cable & connectorIt has a thumbscrew on the HDMI cable & connector"

I'm just glad that the HDMI connector is easy to determine which side of the flattened-D connector goes up... I hate s-video connectors, USB, and even toslink optical.
paw

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-video is the WORST.

At least with USB, it's either one side of the other.

There are keyless toslinks. Never understood why OPTICAL needed to be keyed. There's only ONE connection.

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:

I have a Gefen 1080i->1080P deinterlacer that I use on my HD DVR. It has a thumbscrew on the HDMI cable & connector... very similar to the HD15/VGA monitor connectors.

Anyways, I'd lean towards HDMI for your cover plate... most HT sources and projectors use HDMI... and as HDMI rises over the next few years, DVI will become less and less.

Clarence, I have a bunch of HDMI cables (el'cheapo from Monoprice), HDMI switcher, etc., and whether its from a PS3, DirecTV HR21, etc., I have never had a problem with HDMI cables not staying seated.

You aren't using them to strangle women, are you? Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
I hate s-video connectors, USB, and even toslink optical.

I subscribe to one of my friends theories on USB connectors. The theory: every time you disconnect a USB cable from you computer, the computer randomly reorients the connector so next time you try to plug something in, you don't know which way is "up". Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: