Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

GDM-FW900 for $85 on ebay in Lake Bluff, IL
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: GDM-FW900 for $85 on ebay in Lake Bluff, IL Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This is a BAD ARSE monitor. If anyone lives near, it's a steal.

I've asked the guy for shipping prices for 4 out of curiosity. If you're near Maryland and interested and we can make the shipping tolerable.......

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Angus' comment on these. They're awesome CRT monitors. The last and best ever to be made. Capable of 2304x1440 @85 Hz, they have bandwidth up the wazoo. I run mine at 1920x1200 @72/75 Hz, and they're tack-sharp.

At this price (that $85 is BuyItNow! and a real steal), I'd buy a couple more, just for backups, if it weren't for the "hernia factor". The suckers weigh in at 95 lbs!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these, it was nice. I consider getting one again, but they are huge. You need to really deep desk to be able to use one. On the other hand, would make a nice 1080p set for my 360. hmmm
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having one of these, I agree they are great monitors, but have you guys noticed the vast majority of people are simply throwing away their crt monitors ?

With that in mind, isn't $85. still kind of expensive ? I'd bet the seller was paid to take them away...
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind getting 2-3 of them.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I consider getting one again, but they are huge. You need to really deep desk to be able to use one. <

They are large. 22.5" wide, in fact. But not quite as deep as you might think, based on the tube size. They need a space 20.5" deep, but no extra for cables, since they recess the cable connectors.

> have you guys noticed the vast majority of people are simply throwing away their crt monitors ? <

Yes, rather sad, actually.

At that price, I'd take a couple more, if it weren't for the weight issue (I have a bad back). Even though I already have 3 of them (part of the reason for the condition of my back).

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two.

They are worth $50 these days - but I guess $85 is ok.

The Bluray/HD-DVD image from my HTPC will bring tears to your eyes. It shows that my XG is the weak link in my chain- fiddling with HDMI input cards is kinda pointless when you see how good the analogue image actually is.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Mark, now you are just teasing me. And you're too far geographically for me to b!tch-slap you. Smile
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
The Bluray/HD-DVD image from my HTPC will bring tears to your eyes. It shows that my XG is the weak link in my chain- fiddling with HDMI input cards is kinda pointless when you see how good the analogue image actually is.

Well, that's not exactly the whole story... Yes, the monitor is sharper and cleaner-looking, but it's also, what? 15-20% of the size of your projected image? And brighter to boot. If you blew up the FW900's image to 5 or 6x its size, it wouldn't look that great, either. A good 1080i/p source just looks AMAZING at that size, regardless of whether it's an FW900 or another CRT of that size class. Crappy over-compressed OTA even looks amazing at that size.

It is a hell of a monitor, and take one if somebody were giving to me for free. But, they're too damn big/heavy to deal with otherwise. I'm too old for that crap.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:
Having one of these, I agree they are great monitors, but have you guys noticed the vast majority of people are simply throwing away their crt monitors ?

With that in mind, isn't $85. still kind of expensive ? I'd bet the seller was paid to take them away...

Not for these babies, especially if you live near by. They're huge among gamers. I see them going for 200+ w/o shipping. I've been planning on getting an LCD because it never seems like I can get one to my house, or near by for less than $300.

I'd love to have 4 of them. With some liquidation HDFury1s, it would make a great desk/bedroom TV. I'd like to figure out how I can use 3 on my desk. Probably need some steel I-Beams in the desktop.

As much as I hate to say it, I may still get me an LCD. space is always an issue on desks, especially when they're as cluttered as mine.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
Capable of 2304x1440 @85 Hz, they have bandwidth up the wazoo.

I knew Blu-Ray sucked. I mean, it hasn't been the "top" format for even a year and I'd need to upconvert it. Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus, just imagine all of those 10-25 mega-pixel cameras out there that cannot view all the individual pixels because the diaply market will never catch up with them.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one - love it.

I can see every single pixel - called zoom - on my 25 + meg images

The Only GOOD AMPRO - is a Dead AMPRO.
wait - are they not all DEAD already?
View user's photo album (16 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need 6 or 7 of these. Good price. I wanted a couple new but couldn't come up with the $4800 CDN to get them at the time ( c.2000-2001 )

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agggg...Angus there was a FW900 for sale in Germantown, MD on craigslist but I checked with him and it already sold...the ad is gone now. How much did this guy want for shipping? I'd love one (or three) of these monitors, but not willing to pay a fortune for it.
Delicious2

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Refurbs Reply with quote

http://www.accurateit.com/details.asp?iid=1133

Got one of these a year ago. Coupla small scratches on the glass, otherwise, perfect. Can't beat the picture.
Delicious2

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have the actual Sony model as well but at more than twice the price.

http://www.accurateit.com/details.asp?iid=203
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
Agggg...Angus there was a FW900 for sale in Germantown, MD on craigslist but I checked with him and it already sold...the ad is gone now. How much did this guy want for shipping? I'd love one (or three) of these monitors, but not willing to pay a fortune for it.

Man, That's like 20 minutes from where I work. I haven't heard back.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Mark_A_W wrote:

Well, that's not exactly the whole story... Yes, the monitor is sharper and cleaner-looking, but it's also, what? 15-20% of the size of your projected image? And brighter to boot. If you blew up the FW900's image to 5 or 6x its size, it wouldn't look that great, either. A good 1080i/p source just looks AMAZING at that size, regardless of whether it's an FW900 or another CRT of that size class. Crappy over-compressed OTA even looks amazing at that size.

It is a hell of a monitor, and take one if somebody were giving to me for free. But, they're too damn big/heavy to deal with otherwise. I'm too old for that crap.

SC

I don't understand your point.

Yes, it's a monitor, not a projector.

But if I stick my nose close to it, so it fills my field of view like my projector, it puts the projector to shame.

It shows me that the projector is not revealing all the details. The projector is blurry in comparison.

My point was HDMI cards are "fiddling around the edges". The analogue cabling is not the weak link, it's the XG itself.
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
CRT_Ben wrote:

Man, That's like 20 minutes from where I work. I haven't heard back.

Yeah the kicker was the price. He only wanted $70... Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: