Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Running a G90 via HDMI at 1080i and 1080p, problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cunim

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Running a G90 via HDMI at 1080i and 1080p, problems Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just installed a new Moome IFB card in the G90. Nice picture at 1080i. There are problems, though.

1. Geometric alignment. At 480i, the internal patterns are fine for setting geometry. At 1080i, convergence is off in a nonlinear way. Need to use an externally generated pattern but the pj shows an internal pattern as soon as you engage any of the adjustment functions. You have to memorize the external pattern, make adjustments (which now show misconvergeance on the internal pattern), go back to the external to see what has happened, and repeat. Tedious and not very precise. Anyone know how to force viewing of an active input while making geometric adjustments?

2. 1080p does not work. Player is outputting 1080p/60. The image is dark and quite brown. Resolution is poor. Switching the player to 24fps generates a rolling image that appears to have good fidelity but the pj cannot lock to it. So, I suspect a bandwidth problem at 60 fps and a sync problem at 24fps. I don't see any option other than 1080i.

Player is good on my Kuro at 1080p/24 and 60
PJ is good at 720p
Cable is good

Any suggestions as to whether this is a problem with the Moome card or the pj? Should the pj be able to do 1080p/60?
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1080P/60Hz is not a problem for the G90. Until my YA board went AWOL, I was getting a fantastic image at that resolution and frequency. I've not tried but I don't think the PJ will sync to 24fps.
Have you checked the settings in service menu. Make sure the clamp is set for HP or H/C (I think that's the option) and not AUTO.
Try these first and report back..
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No PJ will sync to 24, is thier a way to set the player to do auto detect on the display? This way the moome card will send its edid for 60hz. I am not a sony guy but for doing the convergence on your machine you should use the external grid source like from DVE Blu ray. There has to be a way to use convergence with an external source, Craig Rounds( CIR-Engineering) should be able to help you.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
cunim

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both service and expert mode, but the clamp is not adjustable. I have tried altering other settings to see if that frees up the clamp, but no joy.

Yes, I am using the external signal from DVE. Also using the DVE 1080p demo materials to evaluate image quality. Works fine on 1080i. Craig, are you monitoring this?
Kipnis Studios

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Sony G-90 & Moome HDMI Input Card: Sync and Picture Issu Reply with quote

cunim wrote:
I have used both service and expert mode, but the clamp is not adjustable. I have tried altering other settings to see if that frees up the clamp, but no joy.

Yes, I am using the external signal from DVE. Also using the DVE 1080p demo materials to evaluate image quality. Works fine on 1080i. Craig, are you monitoring this?

So have you had any further luck?

I'm trying to resolve the same issue, I believe, for a customer - and the 1080P60 setting on either a BD or an HD-DVD player show variable sync and clamp response along with not presenting the left 20% of the image!!!!

Any thoughts by anyone with the same set-up?

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com
cunim

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a full calibration done. All my issues went away, except the 1080p. Not calibratable. I was suspecting a defect in my Moome card but your observation makes that less likely.
Kipnis Studios

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunim wrote:
I just had a full calibration done. All my issues went away, except the 1080p. Not calibratable. I was suspecting a defect in my Moome card but your observation makes that less likely.

Well this seems like a serious defect as 1080P60 should be easily displayable.

It seems almost inconceivable that this would not have been tested and made to work by someone out there.

Anybody???

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone emailed Moome about this? Have you posted in Moome's support forum here too? Either way I've moved this thread to there as Moome doesn't follow all the threads in the CRT projectors forum.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Sony IFB-FULLHD card and not the older IFB-HD card? Both do 1080p/60 however.

He tested his card on the G90 at 1080p as did his tester who owns a G90 as well. His tester was Craig of www.CIR-Engineering.com who also owns a G90.

Have you posted in the IFB-FULLHD FAQ/support thread too? It's here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7563

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Axatax

TV/Projector: Sony VPH-G70Q (aka Barco Cine8 Onyx)

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone here NOT having an issue with the new Sony card? I have not seen a single positive post yet (or much of any traffic at all) about this card. Problems so far: Non functional remote, non functional gamma, sync and 1080p issues.

I have mine in hand, but I have other changes to make in the equipment chain before I get around to installation.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested this card and had only minor problems with it. Specifically, the only problem I found with the card was that it would not do VIDEO luma levels for custom resolutions like 960p or 814p. Other than that, the card was a masterpiece and it did even do 1080p at 24Hz though this was unwatchable due to flicker... but it still displayed an image.

My card worked perfectly with 1080p at 48Hz, 60Hz, and 72Hz. It worked with RGB and YCbCr with 1080p.

However, Moome and I went back and forth about the VIDEO luma levels problems with custom resolutions that I reported to him. He mailed me an updated EDID chip that he shipped to the wrong address. I also went on a western states calibration tour and just got back yesterday. I will install the new EDID today or tomorrow probably.

A theory I have off hand is that Moome used the new EDID chip that he mailed me before I tested it and the production boards have the new EDID. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE so we should ask him. If I start having similar problems after installing the new EDID than we will know. This may not be related to EDID at all either as it is a little atypical.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the new EDID chip the Moome sent me today. He fixed the issue with PC/VIDEO luma on custom resolutions and the card still works perfectly for me. So either way, you guys are not having EDID problems as long as the chip on your cards is the same as either of the two variations I have here.

This car works perfect for me here and Moome properly addressed the one problem I reported to him.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
belbucus

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having similar issues with installation in a G90 as I was initially trying to work with the input set to HDTV-GBR. Right away, this presented a great image at 1080i, but the same reported issues at 1080p and the clamp adjustments were not available. In fact, the clamp settings are only accessible when the input is set to RGB (also the case for my D50). Once that was changed, I found that setting the clamp to H/C rather than HP gave very nice image. A bit of follow up reading in both the Sony and Moome datasheets seem to confirm that this is the proper setup for the card.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

belbucus wrote:
I was having similar issues with installation in a G90 as I was initially trying to work with the input set to HDTV-GBR. Right away, this presented a great image at 1080i, but the same reported issues at 1080p and the clamp adjustments were not available. In fact, the clamp settings are only accessible when the input is set to RGB (also the case for my D50). Once that was changed, I found that setting the clamp to H/C rather than HP gave very nice image. A bit of follow up reading in both the Sony and Moome datasheets seem to confirm that this is the proper setup for the card.

Good of you to point this out. I sometimes don't think of the simple things like this that can be a pitfall if you don't know... I would never have considered NOT having the projector switched to RGB mode Cool

These boards decode digital RGB and YCbCr to analog RGB. The projector only sees RGB; thus the projector MUST be set to RGB mod on the input that the card is installed. In fact, when I calibrate these projectors I usually just switch A, B, and C all to RGB mode as a matter of course.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Delicious2

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
...My card worked perfectly with 1080p at 48Hz, 60Hz, and 72Hz. It worked with RGB and YCbCr with 1080p...

craigr

1080P at 72Hz on a G90! Wow! Thats my holy grail! How did you do that?

peace,
Mark H
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delicious2 wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:
...My card worked perfectly with 1080p at 48Hz, 60Hz, and 72Hz. It worked with RGB and YCbCr with 1080p...

craigr

1080P at 72Hz on a G90! Wow! Thats my holy grail! How did you do that?

peace,
Mark H

It works just fine with a video processor that can output 72Hz like the Lumagens. The image at 1080x1920 is a little softer at 72Hz than at 60Hz, but to me it is worth it when viewing 16x9 film.

What I recommend is also setting up an 800x1920 at 72Hz or an 814x1920 at 72Hz for 2.35 and 2.4 material. That way at 72Hz you sill have less bandwidth used than at 1080x1920 running 60Hz! With 800x1920 you get a sharper image than 1080p at 60Hz, and have a film rate that can fully resolve 1920 lines Wink

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Delicious2

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks craigr,

I use a HTPC. When I tried to run 1920 x 1080P 72Hz from my video card the G90 said "out of range". Inneresting that you can get around that with a Lumagen. It must somehow offer the pj a lower bandwidth frequency.

Good tip on the other resolutions. I have some superbly calibrated settings by Ken Whitcomb at 1920 x 1080 60Hz which I've been watching for the last few months but I'll try to get close to what he did with a 1920 x 800 at 72Hz.

peace,
Mark H
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delicious2 wrote:
Thanks craigr,

I use a HTPC. When I tried to run 1920 x 1080P 72Hz from my video card the G90 said "out of range". Inneresting that you can get around that with a Lumagen. It must somehow offer the pj a lower bandwidth frequency.

Good tip on the other resolutions. I have some superbly calibrated settings by Ken Whitcomb at 1920 x 1080 60Hz which I've been watching for the last few months but I'll try to get close to what he did with a 1920 x 800 at 72Hz.

peace,
Mark H

There are no "lower bandwidth" possibilities with digital at a fixed pixel count... it is by nature fixed Exclamation (fixed pixel display)

One thing you can try with your video card is to reduce the porches if you have that option. Reducing the porches and / or sync can provide for lower bandwidth in the total signal by eliminating unused pixels that are not part of the image. This is good to do with a video processor as well, because the bandwidth required by the projector will be reduced, which in turn results in a sharper image.

Be careful with reducing porches too much though. If you go way too far the image won't fit properly within the raster. Also, if your porches are too small and the image is but up against the raster, you will get raster ringing on the left side of your image. The smaller the porches the more likely that you will get noticeable raster ringing (banding).

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
belbucus

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Gamma adjust Reply with quote

I have experimented with every configuration I can think of, and still can see no effect whatsoever when adjusting the gamma on the IFB-FULLHD: Sony HDMI 1.3 Input Card. It is my understanding that the remote is for coarse adjust (in what appears to be 21 steps), and the trimpot is for fine adjust.

As others have sited this as a problem, I ask - has anyone had any luck with this issue? Do I have a defective card, or do none of them work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: