Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

65f59a high voltage problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: 65f59a high voltage problem Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all, I'm here at my G/F's parents place and his 65f59a Hitachi 65" CRT RPTV is having what sounds like highvoltage issues. They get a 'snap' then the pick went down.

Ocasionaly they get a solid blue or green screen.

mac? Any ideas?

Also the tell me there's some vertical color lines and the picture goes black and white!

Halp! TIA

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response.There is a service bulletin for this problem. If its still a problem post back but I dont know when I'll be back on here. Good luck.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Sorry for the late response.There is a service bulletin for this problem. If its still a problem post back but I dont know when I'll be back on here. Good luck.

Hi Mac, it wasn't a highvoltage problem. I was going by the way he described it. It turns out his new HD-PVR from DISH has crapy HDMI output and the picture freezes, turns green, pixelates and make the audio pop. He tested with S-video and all was fine so I told him to buy a set of component cables and ditch the HDMI crapola.

CRT.

HD done right!
timbo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'hdmi bug' on the f59 series is well known. It occurs with any and all hdmi devices.

The fix is done in the service menu and is quite simple. However , with any service menu adjustment, care must be taken.
All original values must be written down before anything is changed. Next, original values must be written down before anything is changed. (it's important to emphasize that all original values....etc.)

Let me have a look around for the "hdmi bug" fix.
I'll get back to you with the procedure and a warning that all original values must be written down before...etc.

ah yes, well, here we are!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9668868&highlight=hdmi+fix#post9668868

Now, just in case, before you change anything....write it down.

Boo boos are easy to fix when original values have been written down. You have been warned!

The fix worked just fine on my f59.

AnalogRocks, later on, when the g\f's parents start to experience the "hdmi shift" (the entire image shifts about 6 inches to the left for a few seconds and then returns to normal), please post here again.

P.S. Hitachi rptv f59 offers spectacular picture quality. Is the 65"er calibrated nicely?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbo wrote:
The 'hdmi bug' on the f59 series is well known. It occurs with any and all hdmi devices.

The fix is done in the service menu and is quite simple. However , with any service menu adjustment, care must be taken.
All original values must be written down before anything is changed. Next, original values must be written down before anything is changed. (it's important to emphasize that all original values....etc.)

Let me have a look around for the "hdmi bug" fix.
I'll get back to you with the procedure and a warning that all original values must be written down before...etc.

ah yes, well, here we are!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9668868&highlight=hdmi+fix#post9668868

Now, just in case, before you change anything....write it down.

Boo boos are easy to fix when original values have been written down. You have been warned!

The fix worked just fine on my f59.

AnalogRocks, later on, when the g\f's parents start to experience the "hdmi shift" (the entire image shifts about 6 inches to the left for a few seconds and then returns to normal), please post here again.

P.S. Hitachi rptv f59 offers spectacular picture quality. Is the 65"er calibrated nicely?

Hi Timbo. No offense but that was an early on attempt to fix this problem with the Hitachi's. See the date on that post. It worked ok on some but not on others. A new module was designed and has been being field tested for quite some time now with great success and it maybe available to the general public by now but I haven't checked lately. These early HDMI's were really a crap shoot. Thanks for the post though. Your right to say write everything down before adjusting.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....I should...like.....adjust things then write them down?

CRT.

HD done right!
timbo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbo wrote:
... written down before anything..... must be written down before anything is changed.....
... original values must be written down before...etc....
...Now, just in case, before you change anything....write it down.

You should write them down beforehand.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
A new module was designed and has been being field tested for quite some time...

macgyver655,
we're not confusing the hdmi bug with the hdmi image shift, are we?
Although I've not followed the threads at avs conscientously, it is my understanding that jwebb1970 and a few other folks had beta tested a piece of hardware that corrects the image shift problem. As you said, that hardware is now available to folks who registered the problem with Hitachi (U.S.)

That being said, there is no reason that AnalogRocks couldn't attempt the first fix. (his sarcasm notwithstanding)

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbo wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:
A new module was designed and has been being field tested for quite some time...

macgyver655,
we're not confusing the hdmi bug with the hdmi image shift, are we?
Although I've not followed the threads at avs conscientously, it is my understanding that jwebb1970 and a few other folks had beta tested a piece of hardware that corrects the image shift problem. As you said, that hardware is now available to folks who registered the problem with Hitachi (U.S.)

That being said, there is no reason that AnalogRocks couldn't attempt the first fix. (his sarcasm notwithstanding)

I'm usually not confused about anything other then women......lol.

I really dont know whats going on over at AVS as I've found its usually a waste of time over there. My understanding comes directly from Hitachi. Here's part of a service bulletin on the issue:

MODELS: 51F59, 57F59, 65F59, 51F59A, 57F59A, 65F59A, 51F59J,
57F59J, 65F59J (All DP-6X Chassis)

SUBJECT: HDMI IMPROVEMENT

SYMPTOM: Strange symptoms like TV Shuts Down, Tint Shifted,
All Red or Pink
Picture, Sync loss, etc, when using HDMI output from some Set
Top Boxes. Usually
starts after warm up period of 1/2 hour. May be temporarily
corrected by AC Reset
or by turning the TV Off and On.

COUNTERMEASURE: Make the following change to the I2C Service
Menu.

Although this helped a little in some cases, it did not solve the problem.
I have the entire bulletin if anyone needs to read it. That was from Jan., 2007. A more current bulletin, released in just the past few months covers the replacement of the signal board assembly, which was the problem of the HDMI issues. This is available for replacement whether your registered or not. Registration was only if you wanted to be notified when the replacement board was available. Here's a little snippet from that bulletin:

Hitachi Home Electronics (America), Inc.
National Service Division
Notice to Servicer
1: If the unit you are replacing the signal assy in is a 51 Inch, then minor touch up will be required for the
convergence.
3: Sizes 57 and 65 will require the convergence jig to perform a complete convergence. Adjustment Jigs can be
acquired from our website on the Loaner Program.
57 Inch convergence Jig H312273.
65 Inch convergence Jig H312274.
2:
When Replacing the Signal Assy UX35321.
The convergence will need to be adjusted.
4: Make sure to take with you the necessary convergence p r o c e d u r e included with this Document.
If the unit is a 57 or 65 inch model, swapping the DCU from original
signal assy to replacement signal assy will save you from doing
a complete convergence, a touchup convergence will be required.

Also, anyone going into a service menu without experience can be harmful to the set...............................

Any and all info is available upon request to macgyver655............................ Laughing

Smile
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 12c rewrite on his set. He called Hitachi and they said they could send out a tech. We decided to try this first.

I didn't write anything down. I printed teh how to from AVS. All the values were the same as the post. So in essence someone else wrote it down for me. Very Happy

I changed all the numbers. Unplugged the set. plugged it back in, confirmed that the settings took.

The next day he told me his colors were off after the fix Shocked he was able to fit it with the normal tint menu.

If this doesn't work I take it it's time to use that extended waranty?

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: