Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

folded horn speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: folded horn speakers Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Who has experience with this type of speaker?

Would this not be an ideal speaker for ht? I've never heard these before. There is quiet a bit of info, but mostly from small custom builders.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: folded horn speakers Reply with quote

bbfarmht wrote:
Who has experience with this type of speaker?

Would this not be an ideal speaker for ht? I've never heard these before. There is quiet a bit of info, but mostly from small custom builders.

They are great! Very, very efficient. 20 watts would probably bring the walls down. If your good with wood and stuff, get the plans and make your own. They are BIG!

Back in the old days, these were great to be driven with tube amps like Dynaco.

See Klipschorn or look-up stuff on folded horn speakers.

wallace

mike calcott

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klips corner horns will make your ears bleed
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to give them a listen first. Not everyone likes the sound of horn speakers. They are super-efficient however.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, they would be great if you were to use a tube amp?

Really what I am looking for is a speaker that has a very nice mid-range.

I listened to some B&Ws and I liked the way they handled the mid-range, and that the highs were not harsh or over powering.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbfarmht wrote:
So, they would be great if you were to use a tube amp?

Really what I am looking for is a speaker that has a very nice mid-range.

I listened to some B&Ws and I liked the way they handled the mid-range, and that the highs were not harsh or over powering.

The tube amp thing is a whole debate in itself. Me? I think tube amps sounded better with high efficient speakers such as klipsch and altec-lansing. But then again, tube amps were pretty much cheap and the main course 35 years ago.

Klipsch (folded horn speakers in general) has tons of mid-range. Sometimes, too much. IMO, you would need a decent equalizer to be able to tame the horns to your liking.

Room sound treatments come into play bigtime with these type speakers.

I agree with Kal; give them a listen first. Your ears hear the best; not mine. Mr. Green

wallace

bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the plans and also the complete speakers.

The plans however, seem to just be for the subs.

Not sure where I could go to find someone with some to hear them. So I was thinking that I might try to make folded horn sub to get a feel for them.

Benjamin Franklin
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folded horn speakers tend to be 2-way. 1 horn (deep throat) and 1 big sub (15" or larger). The magnet on the sub driver is not that big by todays sub driver standards.

wallace

jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tannoy GRF-pro horn design on this page looks insane to build : http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy18.htm more Tannoy goodness Smile with some cool home built cabinets: http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm
View user's photo album (4 photos)
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some folded 18" Cerwin Vega's, they kick butt using them as subs. I got to listen to some Klipschorn's a long time ago, what I remember is that they had incredible bass and they were huge.

Deron.
Axatax

TV/Projector: Sony VPH-G70Q (aka Barco Cine8 Onyx)

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Klipsch (folded horn speakers in general) has tons of mid-range. Sometimes, too much. IMO, you would need a decent equalizer to be able to tame the horns to your liking.

Does Klipsch actually make any speakers with a folded mid-range horn? I thought only the woofers were folded?
enigma

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Horn speakers are a whole new can of worms.

There are front loaded & rear loaded designs, Klipsch horns for example are front loaded. Front loaded is where the horn extends from the front of the driver & you guessed it, rear loaded is where the horn extends from the rear.

Valve amps are perfect for horns for two main reasons, horns are efficent and only require low wattage, valve amps are low wattage and operate at their optimum with just a few watts.

If you run a solid state amp at a few watts, the sound can be terrible because it is not performing within its optimum range.

Klipsch are 3 way designs, many horns with single drivers are full range designs and sound sweet. Some designs can benefit from the use of subwoofers, many are fine without them. It really comes down to taste and design.

It is best to get to know what they are and pick a design that suites your needs. Stick with modern designs as they are better. Klipsch still manufacture their horn speakers.

Here is some info; http://jasondiyaudio.blogspot.com/2008/01/diy-back-loaded-horn-speakers-blh_15.html

also google Hedlund or Carfrae or Kleinhorn for some great full range, back loaded folded horn designs using either lowther or fostex drivers. The Carfrae has a subwoofer as part of the design.

All the best with building them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: