Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

the silly little schizophrenic colormunki!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

For my situation, would you reccomend the ..
colormunki designer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
colormunki photo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
i1 Pro basic
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
None of the above
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

mgsarch

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: the silly little schizophrenic colormunki! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
haha, so i hope the title gives people a grin as this is my first post and it's a bit a long but i reallllllllly want and respect the expertise of this forum so i hope you will bear with me! Smile i had been looking for a forum like this one for ages! you have already helped me significantly in navigating the jungle that is color management.

My dilemma (am i a designer, am i a photographer, am i a schizophrenic!!?!)

So, if asked, i like to keep these "personalities" to myself and would generally use the blanket term designer. To me, a designer is sort of a jack of all trades that must synthesize a bit of each into a greater vision. In my projects I am always wearing different caps (engineer, artist, computer programmer, musician, CAD designer, architect, animator, illustrator). But at the end of the day designer seems to be the right title. x-Rite has genuinely upset me with the dichotomy in the colormunki line. when my work is physical and needs to be digitized (as accurately and seductively as possible) i am once again sent reeling into the role of photographer. i don't mean pulling out my point-and-shoot and taking a quick shot, i mean using light boxes to photograph models with my Canon 5d and a Macro lens or going out to a site and using other interesting lenses to take photographs that emphasize different things. So, in that regard, I see myself as a real photographer with many years of experience and study. I have friend's that are (successful) professional photographers and are less proficient.

After everything is digitized, I will almost never be printing as a conventional photograph on photo paper. The work that's good enough is added to my design portfolio which I create entirely using the adobe creative suite. The portfolio is bound and in general more similar to an expensive book than any sort of folder containing slides or what have you.

This brings me to the final dilemma: at the end of the day am i the designer or the photographer?

By making these two products the exact same price with nearly identical feature sets it is almost impossible to understand what their understanding of a designer is and what their understanding of a photographer is and where some hybrid like me fits into that mix or if I fit into that mix at all.

situation ^^
---

---
thoughts \/\/

I didn't mean to go on and on and I certainly don't intend anything as a boast (it's sometimes difficult to convey my humor or sarcasm across the wires), but, my situation is somewhat unique and i feel like details are necessary. also, i went into the shopping phase of this whole purchase dead set on purchasing an i1 Pro. i found reasons to deem all of the other budget meters as a waste of money since in the end i truly do need the consistency between screen and print for my career. in the end, I simply could not stomach the cost as far as the relative importance of other things in my life (food, heat, electricity ..) as i said, the $430 for the colormunki is already a severe burden. however, if so compelled i am open to all suggestions and would probably be willing to return the colormunki and bite the *freakin'* 800 dollar bullet that is the i1 pro : \. i can only imagine how impressed my family would be at holiday time!

My hardware:

I do all my work on a Mac and i own both a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. I have a canon 5d for photography and love photography. I would eventually like to have a nice printer, in the meantime I have a decent canon pixma inkjet that actually prints a pretty beautiful page (albeit nothing similar to how the screen would look prior to now) I will need a wide format printer somewhere down the line.

Any and all comments, commiserations, and suggestions will be tremendously appreciated and rewarded with some pieces of karma. ; ) I have probably severely over thought this but, it's a significant purchase and i don't want to have to do it over again next year or even sooner.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iOne Pro is a great meter for the price. And it can be calibrated by x-rite when needed. I am not sure about the other colotmunki's.

there are more proficient people on here than I.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: