Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Legal DVD Copying...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Legal DVD Copying... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
September 8, 2008
RealNetworks to Introduce a DVD Copier

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/technology/08dvd.html?em

By BRAD STONE

People have been avidly feeding music CDs into their computers for years, ripping digital copies of albums and transferring the files to their other computers and mobile devices.

This has not happened nearly as much with DVDs, for both practical and legal reasons. But that may soon change.

On Monday, RealNetworks, the digital media company in Seattle, will introduce RealDVD, a $30 software program for Windows computers that allows users to easily make a digital copy of an entire DVD — down to the extras and artwork from the box.

Robert Glaser, chief executive of RealNetworks, called it “a compelling and very responsible product that gives consumers a way to do something they have always wanted to do,” like make backup copies of favorite discs and take movies with them on their laptops when they travel.

But RealDVD is also sure to be a controversial product — one that will easily earn its maker the ire of Hollywood’s powerful and litigious movie studios.

Since the DVD format was introduced more than a decade ago, Hollywood has unremittingly sought to protect the DVD from the fate that befell the CD, which has no mechanism to prevent copying.

Pirate music services like Napster sparked the digital music revolution. The ability of regular consumers to make digital copies of CDs easily with their computers fed such services and, in Hollywood’s view, led to the weakening of the major music labels.

A vibrant movie rental market makes the threat of widespread DVD copying even more ominous. If people who lack technical knowledge can easily copy DVDs, Hollywood worries, they will stop buying DVDs and instead simply visit the local Blockbuster to “rent, rip and return.”

To stave off this outcome and protect what is now $16 billion in annual DVD sales, studios and consumer electronics companies have enveloped their discs with encryption that is intended to prevent copying.

They also regularly go to court to fight any company that offers software to break the encryption. More than five years ago, several studios and the Motion Picture Association of America sued 321 Studios, a company in St. Louis, that had sold the popular program DVD X Copy. A judge ruled that the software violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and the company closed in 2004.

Since then, anyone who wanted to make a backup copy of his “Star Wars” or “Lost” DVDs had to turn to free but illegal programs on the Web, with names like Handbrake and Mac the Ripper. These programs are hard to legally stop because they have many creators who are typically overseas and have few resources. They are used mostly by sophisticated Internet aficionados who may just as easily download movies directly from illicit file-sharing services.

Now RealNetworks believes that the industry’s legal stranglehold on DVD copying has begun to weaken. In March 2007, the DVD Copy Control Association, an alliance that licenses the encryption for DVDs, lost a lawsuit against Kaleidescape, a Silicon Valley start-up company that sells a $10,000 computer server that makes and stores digital copies of up to 500 films.

The DVD association has appealed the ruling. But Mr. Glaser thinks the decision has created the framework for a legal DVD copying product with built-in restrictions to prevent piracy.

The software, which will go on sale on Real.com and Amazon.com this month, will allow buyers to make one copy of a DVD, playable only on the computer where it was made. The user can transfer that copy to up to five other Windows computers, but only by buying additional copies of the software for $20 each. The software does not work on high-definition Blu-ray discs, which the movie industry has even more aggressively sought to protect from illicit copying.

“If you look at the functionality of the product, we have put in significant barriers so people don’t just take this and put it on peer-to-peer networks,” Mr. Glaser said. “I think we’ve been really respectful of the legitimate interests of rights holders.”

Bill Rosenblatt, editor of the online newsletter DRM Watch, said the future for RealDVD probably depends on the outcome of the Kaleidescape appeal. If a higher court reverses the decision and hands the movie industry a decisive victory over DVD copying technology, “Real will have to withdraw the product and could get sued,” he said.

RealNetworks began informing the studios of its new product late last week. Representatives for several major studios and the copy association declined to comment, saying they wanted to examine the software first.

However, one technology executive at a major studio, who did not want to be named because the matter is legally delicate, predicted there would be staunch resistance to RealDVD. He also questioned Real’s motives.

“When so much of their success depends on having reasonable relationships with content owners, you wonder why they would be quite so bold in doing this, unless they are desperate,” this executive said.

“Desperate” may not be quite the right word, but the company could use a hit product. RealNetworks was among the first in the mid-’90s to introduce software to play digital audio and video on the Web.

More recently, despite the steady growth of its Rhapsody subscription music service and RealArcade gaming service, RealNetworks has been eclipsed by other digital media companies, including Apple and Amazon. Its stock is down sharply over the last two years.

Mr. Glaser, however, thinks RealDVD will have widespread appeal, and he is already pondering its future. He says the software could eventually work across home networks and play movies on televisions, instead of just computer screens.

He also plans to solicit the cooperation of movie studios, which he says could sell digital copies of movies and TV shows to people who rip their own DVDs. So, for example, someone who copied the first season of “Mad Men” would be a prime candidate to buy and download Season 2.

“Once you give consumers a legitimate path, you can do all kinds of other interesting things with them,” he said.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a LEGAL way to copy? Well I'll be damned! What will they think of next. Twisted Evil

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too little too late.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A snippet from a 2007 article:

OTTAWA, Feb. 18 — Canada heavily promotes itself as a place to make films. But now it has a more dubious distinction: an analysis by the Motion Picture Association of America has found that 30 to 40 percent of the bootleg DVDs sold in the United States were made by camcorders smuggled into Canadian theaters.

I'm not singling out Canada but rather showing the 'problem' is global. At least in Canada the copies are made from crappy camcorder captures. In China you can't spit without hitting a 'vendor' selling 'in theaters now' releases of digitally pristine copies...for $5 or less depending on street corner competition!

When the MPAA goes after China (fat chance...that's where the dics are being pressed for worldwide release!), I'll worry about my own half assed process of making a crappy copy for my own personal consumption.
For the digital storage endowed, there isn't any difference in my book. Yet it seems to be 'OK' amongst that crowd to have a couple hundred movies stuffed into an ubber terabyte media center just as long as no copies are made.

I'm not saying Hollywood should abandon all efforts but damn, at least admit when you're trying to push a rope and shift gears.

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine just returned from Cambodia. He said the EVERY movie in theaters now are being sold on the streets of Phnom Penh today. Not bootleg, camcorder crap.

Real menu, retail dvd's. they are made from the dvd masters used in the duplication process in China. They are sold on the streets in S.E. Asia, illegally in cambodia they cost 2.00 american each. (actuall in Cambodia it was NOT illegal)They are about the same in China. Also in cambodia, he got a retail version of Windows Vista AND Mac osX. 2.00 each. All made in China. The chinese government is robbing the US media industry BLIND.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the old story all over again but with world wide instant distribution. Back in the day I use to buy records ( remember thos black shiny things? ) and the music distributors would puts a note in the inside jacket that said "HOME TAPING IS KILLING THE RECORD INDUSTRY! Please don't copy this record."

The first thing I did was make a cassette copy of the record and put the pristine-played once- vinyl back in the jacket. Then I would wear out the tape at home and in the car, and come back and make another copy when that one died.

I'm sorta doing the same with my DVD's If I drop $100 on a box set there's no way in hell I'm going to travel with it. I make a back up and bring that along. When that one get's trashed I make another. If it's a movie I watch lots I'll throw it on the hard drive for convenience sake. I'm not distributing copies world wide.

I've also run into disks that won't play nice with my DVD player, but, when ripped to the HDD they play fine. I've tried exchanging them but the whole batch was mastered the same way so that didn't work.

CRT.

HD done right!
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah when the disc copy won't work it's the media not your process. Burn your copies at no higher than 2.4x. Same with games. And get Verbatim DVD-R DL discs. There are better discs but they cost big $$$ at $3/pr. I get 20 Verbatim DL's for $15 and don't make coasters any more.
Another thing to remember is to remove ALL other ripping/burning software except for the one that works.

I still have some software that's been outlawed for the last couple years I use. I also have it's new and improved version but I prefer the older. The only addition to the newer one is support for uncompressed HD. It takes FOREVER (on my aging AMD based PC) to render HD.

I've just recently given in to the temptation to back up my Xbox 360 media. I'm sick and tired of dropping $60US a pop for a game only to have the CONSOLE munch it up little by little each time it's spun; until it won't work any more. And then there's no warranty to fall back on.

I won't distribute the copy. Nor will I try to play on !Live with it. If i want to play some booger picking 12 year old from Tumbleweed TX (and as usual get my ass handed to me), I'll pop in the original. But for System Link games, why in the HELL would I go buy a copy or have the other player buy a copy. That's what M$ would like, but it doesn't make any damn sense to me.

I digress, as usual. Real is attempting to take advantage of a lull in the law/prosecution to launch their electronic copy schema. I heard an interview with the VP of Marketing for Real Networks on the radio and he doesn't 'think' they'll have any legal problems. Having said that, I'm sure the sleezy lawyers for Whoreywood are already preparing a kick in the balls to Real.

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
Yeah when the disc copy won't work it's the media not your process.

Not always. My place is really hot so I "fixed" my burning problem with a fan ( that sounded dirty Laughing)
I just aimed a big honkin' fan at the PC. No more coasters. I never try to burn in here when the temeperature is over 90deg.

JustGreg wrote:

Burn your copies at no higher than 2.4x.

I always burn slow, unless it's something I need to run over to my firends house, usually digital scans of film, I've shot. I'm always in a hurry and usualy use a CDR for that because I can burn at 54x Twisted Evil
JustGreg wrote:

Same with games.

I never copy games. Just about all the games I have don't need the disk in to play.

JustGreg wrote:

And get Verbatim DVD-R DL discs.

Verbatim's are the MOST expensive disks around here. 3 will set me back $11.96 plus 13%tax. I buy Phillips and Memorex DVD+DL's. Those come up cheap around here.

JustGreg wrote:
There are better discs but they cost big $$$ at $3/pr. I get 20 Verbatim DL's for $15 and don't make coasters any more.

Good deal!

JustGreg wrote:

Another thing to remember is to remove ALL other ripping/burning software except for the one that works.

Yep, I don't rip, I just drag n drop. Works perfectly on dual layer media.
JustGreg wrote:

I still have some software that's been outlawed for the last couple years I use. I also have it's new and improved version but I prefer the older. The only addition to the newer one is support for uncompressed HD. It takes FOREVER (on my aging AMD based PC) to render HD.

I've just recently given in to the temptation to back up my Xbox 360 media. I'm sick and tired of dropping $60US a pop for a game only to have the CONSOLE munch it up little by little each time it's spun; until it won't work any more. And then there's no warranty to fall back on.

Yeah consoles are bad for that arent they?
JustGreg wrote:

I won't distribute the copy.

Yeah me either. I payed for it f*** you get yer own Laughing
JustGreg wrote:

Nor will I try to play on !Live with it. If i want to play some booger picking 12 year old from Tumbleweed TX (and as usual get my ass handed to me), I'll pop in the original. But for System Link games, why in the HELL would I go buy a copy or have the other player buy a copy. That's what M$ would like, but it doesn't make any damn sense to me.

Most PC games use to allow you to use the same copy on more than one PC in multiplayer mode. Some of the new games don't and that sucks. I can't speak for the consoles, that last one I bought was a SEGA Dreamcast.
JustGreg wrote:

I digress, (Laughing) as usual. Real is attempting to take advantage of a lull in the law/prosecution to launch their electronic copy schema. I heard an interview with the VP of Marketing for Real Networks on the radio and he doesn't 'think' they'll have any legal problems. Having said that, I'm sure the sleezy lawyers for Whoreywood are already preparing a kick in the balls to Real.

Real likes their low hand sneakey dealings. They were busted for tracking peoples viewing habbits twice in amonth a few years back.

CRT.

HD done right!
Brian Hampton

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they get any customers... Those people are really dim.

Anyways,... Who cares about DVD's anymore. When I buy the stuff on Blu,.. I can't give my DVD copies away.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Hampton wrote:
If they get any customers... Those people are really dim.

Anyways,... Who cares about DVD's anymore. When I buy the stuff on Blu,.. I can't give my DVD copies away.

I know people that _GASP!_don't care about picture quality one bit. As long as they can see the movie. They prefer 4:3 'cause it's full screen. Rolling Eyes some people!

CRT.

HD done right!
jask

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is great that another serious effort is forcing people to look at DMCA.Sure it might be too little too late but for some one that wants to build a HDD video library to wow the inlaws at SD it has a market. How long before the HD version is out and hacked.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how on Earth am I going to continue smiting Hollywood?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
But how on Earth am I going to continue smiting Hollywood?

Be a creative diety: a plague of low-cuts, or turn their faces to stone with botox Very Happy
View user's photo album (4 photos)
ac/dc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will they make a decent movie worth copying???
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ac/dc wrote:

Look no further my fiend: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0299930/

Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
ac/dc wrote:

Look no further my fiend: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0299930/

Laughing

I like how IMDB quotes the Aussie DVD cover: "The movie everyone is talking about." Well... they're not wrong! Very Happy

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: