Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CIH Discussions on CRTs and Zooming Digital PJs

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: CIH Discussions on CRTs and Zooming Digital PJs Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The purpose of this is spot to move all my blathering out of Dave's thread, so he can proceed with his illuminating exposition, without the annoyance of my gadfly responses. Wink We can continue to haggle over in this thread, if he likes.

I started out by disputing some of Dave's claims...

> The reason a CRT is not well suited for this is three fold:
1) 4:3 and 16:9 would have to be significantly downscaled to meet the resolving power limitations of the CRT.
<

I doubt much 4:3 content would need to be "significantly downscaled". Certainly no "TV" content would. I could argue the real effective impact on 16:9 content, but you've already conceded most of that point, elsewhere. [Besides, let's say you were happy with the resolution, detail, and PQ of 2.37 content at 1920x810p, and thought you had a great picture. So how could 16:9 content scaled down to the same height (1440x810p) not also look exactly as good? Answer: it couldn't (assuming a good scaler, it would be the same). It just might not be quite as good as viewing the full original resolution, at full size. But even then, not as bad as the 3/4 scaling might imply.]

> 2) Uneven tube wear will introduce artifacts in 2.39 content if any amount of 1.85 or 16:9 is watched. <

Admittedly a large problem, UNLESS orbiting is used. Though I'm not sure that wear-banding is best described as "artifacts". At least, I'd never think to include that in a list if I were describing artifacts. It would be significant image degradation though, which is the point you were making.

> 3) People generally want a wide (9’ or greater) CIH screen and on that small of a raster, a CRT lacks the light output for a quality picture. <

I'll grant you that most people do (though some are satisfied with smaller setups, still manageable by CRT), if you change it to "on that small of a raster, a single CRT lacks the light output". [And, BTW, with the way CRT prices have dropped through the floor, the negative cost-factor (though not the complexity) of a dual-CRT blend has been dramatically mitigated, and now compares favorably to a good digi-PJ + anamorphic lens + positioner.]

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Smile Hey, I can be pedantic too! Wink)

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> on a Blu Ray disc, a 2.39 movie has less resolution than a 1.85 movie. <

I'll argue this one with you too, if you like. Heck, even if you don't. Smile

Leaving aside old differences from DVDs, where the h-rez was filtered less on 2.35 films than 1.85, because there were 25% fewer pixels to encode. And so the effective detail on scope films could actually be greater (and frequently was), within the bit-budget available. Theoretically at least, that shouldn't be an issue with DVDs in HD formats.

The resolution of a movie in 2.39 on BR is exactly the same as it is on a 1.85 movie. That's because resolution is a ratiometric indicator. E.g., pixels per unit of distance. This is the same on both horizontal and vertical axes, and for 2.39 and 1.85 films.

A 2.39 movie has 25% less pixels in the image, but so what? Granted, a 2.39 film encoded linearly (as they all are, unfortunately) does have less rez than if they were done anamorphically, but that's out of our control (and not what you said).

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Zooming...

> your scope image will be about half as bright as your 16:9 image <

"Actually Doctor, that's 55.3428%, to be precise. Dammit, Spock! I said about half. I'm a doctor, not some damn computer." Smile

Seriously though, you should mention that some digi-PJs have variable light output settings, that could be used to compensate for this particular deficiency. After all, digitals frequently have lumens to burn (literally). Zoom memories, plus variable output settings could make the simplicity of zooming an easy, attractive, and affordable CIH option for many.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other way that variable light output could be achieved, short of changing the drive current to the bulb, and possibly shifting the color temp, would be to have a motor that could automatically insert a (small and inexpensive) neutral density filter into the image path, internal to the PJ, as needed. (Or, have a variable density wheel, and rotate the proper density filter into place for finer tuning.)

Assuming a high quality image could be achieved on a 1080 panel, using 1920x817 in the zoomed out mode, I'd see this as far better than any of the external lens-based options, since it eliminates a lot of complexity, cost, and secondary lens aberrations. Not to mention the size and weight of these Rube Goldberg contraptions. Smile It also requires no scaling, and thus no potential for artifacting from that process. It's purely optical.

It also makes more sense than using scaling to perform a vertical stretch, just so that more of the panel could be used. How is electronic stretch supposed to be superior to optical stretch? Plus it preserves the ability to do absolutely ANY AR perfectly in true CIH mode, which was the original objective in the first place. Let's get away from complex, fixed-format, compromise systems (for lotsa bucks), and back to some of the flexibility of CRT PJs.

One final advantage is that mere mortals could actually understand it. Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: the CONs for Zooming, I'd have to comment...

> 1) no consumer projectors have memory blocks to recall zoom settings. <

Temporary impediment, before the needs were understood. Let me know when you have a real HT projector.

> 2) ...only 75% of the panel’s resolution (the active image area) is used on scope movies, meaning that you have only 75% of the light output <

Easily resolved with dynamic filtering, or even variable apertures, already available and currently being used to achieve high fake contrast ratios.

> 3) You must have treatments above and below your screen to effectively absorb the light of the “black bars”. <

Not a big deal. So does a real theatre. Seriously... 8.5" of black felt above and below your screen, vs. the cost, time, and complexity of strapping a motorized anamorphic lens onto your PJ? And tying things together so they work automatically? No contest.

> 4) Not useful for 720p projectors as too much pixel visibility on scope images. <

Irrelevant. A 720p PJ has only 544 pixel height (and 1280 width) in scope (w/o anamorphic lenses). Not appropriate for a real home theatre. 1080p is getting ubiquitous, and cheap. Why are we even discussing those dinosaurs? Not long ago, even 1440x820 wasn't good enough for you. 1280x544 on a 9' wide screen sucks. Anamorphic 1280x720 isn't much better.

> 5) Not all projectors have the necessary zoom range. <

Not all PJs will find buyers. Look for them in the bargain-bins. The ones that do will meet buyers requirements.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, after that last post, I should grant you (before you jump in and pummel me Smile) that 1280x720 anamorphic, generated by down-converting from 1920x1080 will look a LOT better than stretching 1280x544 up. But still, I've seen digital 1280 content, and even on a little 32" wide LCD panel, there's a big difference in 1920 h-rez vs. 1280 h-rez (sourced natively at 1920; or even 1920 h-rez sourced at 1280). I can only imagine what that would look like blown up 3.4x wider (and 3.4x higher) and beyond. Shocked

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...further commentary awaiting Dave's moving his comments over in-line...

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm a CRT guy but did this thread in the digital forum get hijacked ? Uncle Louie is on his way...... Cool
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that 2.35/40 is the same res as 1.78/85 for the exact reasons you explained. But i have found it looks sharper if you do use active area scanning to free up the unused bandwidth in the black above and below the active image, this would have no effective benefit on a digital PJ. This is why i think CIH on a blended CRT is the best way to go. And you dont get that distorted prism image from the slide in lens for CIH on a digital, when they make a digital with a 2.40 display then we can talk.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still like to try 3 anamorphic lenses on a CRT Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Use all the phosphor and squish and stretch the image to 2.35, come on Ani do it!

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Use all the phosphor and squish and stretch the image to 2.35, come on Ani do it!

Athanasios

Hmmm 1252, new tubes, HD145's, Joust adaptors, 3x Anamorphic lenses.

I have everything there but the adaptors and the $$$ for the Anamorphic lenses.

That would give my little 1252 a good 10 foot wide 2.35:1 picture. Twisted Evil

Or hey, Runco 900 w new blue tube, HD144's, 3 x Anamorphic lenses.

Now where can I find anamorphic lenses cheap?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is where do you find such a lens ? Just name one.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

I spent time on this including with one of the anamorphic lens manufactures. The only way to do it would be to use a cylindrical anamorphic lens in place of the original lenses. That is cost prohibitive. Any use of an additional lens does not work because the light from the different colored CRTs is already crossing before the distance of where the front element of an anamorphic would have to be.

But, even if you could, you'd still have the light output problem.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CIH Discussions on CRTs and Zooming Digital PJs Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
The purpose of this is spot to move all my blathering out of Dave's thread, so he can proceed with his illuminating exposition, without the annoyance of my gadfly responses. Wink We can continue to haggle over in this thread, if he likes.

Thanks smart guy. Smile

I'll haggle, but one question, is this mostly a technical discussion of CIH on CRT and CIH via zooming on digis--like pros and cons and how to resolve. Or a "versus" thread?

VideoGrabber wrote:
> The reason a CRT is not well suited for this is three fold:
1) 4:3 and 16:9 would have to be significantly downscaled to meet the resolving power limitations of the CRT.
<

I doubt much 4:3 content would need to be "significantly downscaled".

True. But when classic movies start hitting blu-ray something tells me that people are going to want Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, et al looking as good as they possibly can.

VideoGrabber wrote:
I could argue the real effective impact on 16:9 content, but you've already conceded most of that point, elsewhere. [Besides, let's say you were happy with the resolution, detail, and PQ of 2.37 content at 1920x810p, and thought you had a great picture. So how could 16:9 content scaled down to the same height (1440x810p) not also look exactly as good? Answer: it couldn't (assuming a good scaler, it would be the same). It just might not be quite as good as viewing the full original resolution, at full size. But even then, not as bad as the 3/4 scaling might imply.]

I agree with you that it is not nearly as bad as 3/4 scaling would imply. It is not just the "raw resolution" that comes into play. Also how it is resolved on the tube face.

Let's just say that of late I've become a bit more critical of that 1920x810 image. I agree that 1440x810 from 1080 source can look incredible. Look at the old JVC LCoS projectors (16:9 ones where 1400x788). Feed them a well scaled 1080 source and they look fabulous (those were awesome PJs accept for their achilles heel--horrid CR and very high black level [low APL scenes were terrible]). However, given the round overlapping pixels of the CRT, 1440x788 will not look as sharp. And with the JVC, it was not "artificial sharpness" of pixel spacing as they had a 93% fill factor. The CRT looks great at 1440x810, until you put it next to a CRT or good digital running a higher resolution. Smile Frankly, given today's cost, I'd put a high ANSI CR 720p digital against any CRT run 1440x810 in that small of a raster. The digi will have more artifacts, but the whole is a complex equation of the sum of the parts. I bet just about everyone would prefer the picture from the digi. Smile

VideoGrabber wrote:
> 2) Uneven tube wear will introduce artifacts in 2.39 content if any amount of 1.85 or 16:9 is watched. <

Admittedly a large problem, UNLESS orbiting is used. Though I'm not sure that wear-banding is best described as "artifacts". At least, I'd never think to include that in a list if I were describing artifacts. It would be significant image degradation though, which is the point you were making.

First, lets not even bothrt with the hassle or technical challenges of orbiting on a properly masked screen. Let's just assume the impossible and grant that you could do it. Even if you could, there is NO, I repeat NO orbiting that will fix the problem. There is no way you are going to orbit the 16:9 image so the edges of the 2.35 active image area gets the same wear. The center of the tube will get way too much wear.

Consider this. Look at NEC's set up by the manual. Most of them have small active image areas on the tube. I've seen several of them where there is a wear pattern on the tube so great by 1800 hours that you cannot set them up with a larger raster without seeing brightness and color temp changes at the edges.

Now, what you are proposing is 16:9 in an area of the tube face even SMALLER than the NEC manual suggests. Now you are probably talking noticeable wear within 1000 hours of 16:9 usage. Assuming about 50/50 AR usage, that is 2000 hours maybe. Yep, you can offset and flip tubes and all that. Not what I would call user friendly. Maybe worth doing 4 years ago, with projectors available today--no way.

VideoGrabber wrote:
> 3) People generally want a wide (9’ or greater) CIH screen and on that small of a raster, a CRT lacks the light output for a quality picture. <

I'll grant you that most people do (though some are satisfied with smaller setups, still manageable by CRT), if you change it to "on that small of a raster, a single CRT lacks the light output". [And, BTW, with the way CRT prices have dropped through the floor, the negative cost-factor (though not the complexity) of a dual-CRT blend has been dramatically mitigated, and now compares favorably to a good digi-PJ + anamorphic lens + positioner.]

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Smile Hey, I can be pedantic too! Wink)

When talking in generalizations, it seems odd to address 20% of the audience instead of 80%. Smile So, my comments where addressed to the 80%. Smile

Yes, you could do a 7.5 foot wide scope screen--a 38x90 screen and have a nice bright image. But most don't want that.

As an aside, After living with over 14 foot lamberts for a few months I can tell you that I won't go back to even 12. You could not even get me to watch under 12 now. If you have not spent time with a properly calibrated system of 14 or better, you just don't know how much more real it looks and involving it is. Many of my comments factor in this recent "epiphany".

But, back to a blend. Yes, if you are going to compare blended 9" machines to a high quality 1080p digital ($5000-$10000) plus a top notch cylindrical anamorphic lens ($6000) it looks not bad. But, consider that a very satisfying 1080p CIH picture can be achieved for about $4000-5000 or a satisfying 720p for ~$2000, the blend is still prohibitively expensive and complex.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
> on a Blu Ray disc, a 2.39 movie has less resolution than a 1.85 movie. <

I'll argue this one with you too, if you like. Heck, even if you don't. Smile

Leaving aside old differences from DVDs, where the h-rez was filtered less on 2.35 films than 1.85, because there were 25% fewer pixels to encode. And so the effective detail on scope films could actually be greater (and frequently was), within the bit-budget available. Theoretically at least, that shouldn't be an issue with DVDs in HD formats.

There are not 25% fewer pixels to encode. There are the same number. The black bars are encoded--there are not scope anamorphic blu-ray title and the spec does not allow for it currently.

So, the number of pixels is the same. It is just that 25% of them are black. Thus you can achieve a higher bit rate for the active image area--so yes, a bit better picture.

VideoGrabber wrote:
The resolution of a movie in 2.39 on BR is exactly the same as it is on a 1.85 movie. That's because resolution is a ratiometric indicator. E.g., pixels per unit of distance. This is the same on both horizontal and vertical axes, and for 2.39 and 1.85 films.

A 2.39 movie has 25% less pixels in the image, but so what? Granted, a 2.39 film encoded linearly (as they all are, unfortunately) does have less rez than if they were done anamorphically, but that's out of our control (and not what you said).

This is correct, but you are looking at the wrong ratio because there is no unit of distance real or implied on the media, so that is irrelevant--it does not have a "resolution" per se. The unit of distance we are talking about is the displayed unit of distance. I'm not talking about just the ratio on the source (as stated, there is no ratio) but the ratio on the display. If you are using a 1.85:1 or 16:9 CIW set up, then you are correct, the resolution is the same. If you believe that a 2.35 movie should occupy an area equal to or greater than a 1.85:1 movie on the display, then the resolution is less. This is my position. So, assume a 2.35:1 movie fills up a 120" wide screen--that means that with a 1080p source, resolution is 16 pixels per inch. A 16:9 image displayed properly with less area (lets assume CIH) would have a resolution of 21.33 pixels per inch. Resolution is only the same in a CIW set up. When displayed in a CIA or CIH set up (which is the "right way"), 2.35 movies have less resolution.

QED. Smile

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
Re: Zooming...

> your scope image will be about half as bright as your 16:9 image <

"Actually Doctor, that's 55.3428%, to be precise. Dammit, Spock! I said about half. I'm a doctor, not some damn computer." Smile

Seriously though, you should mention that some digi-PJs have variable light output settings, that could be used to compensate for this particular deficiency. After all, digitals frequently have lumens to burn (literally). Zoom memories, plus variable output settings could make the simplicity of zooming an easy, attractive, and affordable CIH option for many.

Agreed. But this does below in the other thread. And I did mention that most have a low/high lamp modes with a typical 33% boost.

VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave asked:
> one question, is this mostly a technical discussion of CIH on CRT and CIH via zooming on digis--like pros and cons and how to resolve. Or a "versus" thread? <

I'd prefer the technical discussion, but feel free to compare the two if you like, since you've got experience with both now. Heck, you had arguably one of the best 8" CRTs there was. If you don't know what a good image looks like, I don't know who does.

> Yes, you could do a 7.5 foot wide scope screen--a 38x90 screen and have a nice bright image. But most don't want that. <

Argg! Perfect aim... an arrow right through the heart. Yeah, I've got a 90" wide screen, and do scope at 38x90. Viewed from 9' back, for a d/w ratio of 1.2, and 45-deg viewing angle. (Though not CIH.) But I wouldn't be bold enough to call it a home theatre, because I've seen the amazing HT's some folks have done. More of an intimate media room.

I'd like to respond to a few other comments, but it'll have to be another day. I've got some other stuff I have to attend to. Thanks for your followups here.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:

Argg! Perfect aim... an arrow right through the heart. Yeah, I've got a 90" wide screen, and do scope at 38x90. Viewed from 9' back, for a d/w ratio of 1.2, and 45-deg viewing angle. (Though not CIH.) But I wouldn't be bold enough to call it a home theatre, because I've seen the amazing HT's some folks have done. More of an intimate media room.

So, you are sitting 2.84x screen height away from the scope image. If you have seen my posts, my front row (primary viewing location) is EXACTLY the same ratio (see, I knew I liked you for a reason). I think that is perfectly acceptable and in some ways do like the "intimate" screening room. More than likely, when we move, I will have a single row screen room close to this.

But, in my tooling around it seems the majority of folks focus on absolute size of the screen instead of viewing ratio--a "bigger is better" mentality. Since their brain actually perceives the true size of the screen they want it bit. As evidence, look at the number of people on this site putting CRT on WAAAAY too big of screens.

But, I can accept that people like large screens. But, there is a very valid reason for large screens--mulitple rows. Rows will be at least 5' apart. That would give a second row with your screen size of ratio of 4.42x scope image height. I think it is valid to try to stay within the recommended maximum of 4x. So, for instance, my screen is just big enough so that my front row is 2.84 and my back row is 4.0x.

VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> So, you are sitting 2.84x screen height away from the scope image. <

Yep.

> If you have seen my posts, my front row (primary viewing location) is EXACTLY the same ratio <

I knew you were in the neighborhood. Didn't realize it was exactly... probably because I tend to think in terms of screen widths, rather than heights.

> it seems the majority of folks focus on absolute size of the screen instead of viewing ratio--a "bigger is better" mentality <

Absolutely. And if I had built my media room for them, it would have turned out differently. As it is, it works out ideally for 3 adults on a comfortable recliner couch (or just me by myself, sprawled out Wink). In configuration 2 (it's a convertable room, so the couch is slid back to 11'), it can handle 5 adults (with 2 side seats), and the kids can sit in front on the floor, for a whopping capacity audience of 8 or 9.

> there is a very valid reason for large screens--mulitple rows. <

No doubt about it. Now you're talking HT!

> That would give a second row with your screen size of ratio of 4.42x scope image height. <

In that case, it would have to be be at night, I'd have to open my light-blocking BOC and curtains, and they'd have to be sitting outside on the front deck, peeking in whatever you call a 6' wide living room window. Mr. Green I never thought of trying that.

> for instance, my screen is just big enough so that my front row is 2.84 and my back row is 4.0x. <

Very interesting. Transmogrifying your 4.0x into d/w generates 1.7x, which happens to be what I'd consider to be my personal farthest "best-quality" viewing distance (=1.85 content at CIA, in room config 2). So you've got a perfect setup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: