Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Yay HTPC upgrade!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Yay HTPC upgrade! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So, I've been struggling along with a Pentium D 805 @ 2.6ghz, and a Radeon X1950 pro. The D can't run avisynth (No limitedsharpenfaster Sad) and it plus that card wouldn't be able to do bluray.

But, thanks to work (and the fact that I own the business... err) I'm going to swap components around.

-Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8 (a bit less than twice as fast as the D... I just couldn't justify robbing the Core2Quad from my new engineer Smile)
-Radeon HD 4850
-500gb SATA; 2x 250gb SATA; 1x 200gb ATA; 2x350gb ATA on NAS

Hopefully I can get some LimitedSharpen going on (without having to preprocess, though I've finally worked out a procedure for that) and be ready for BD when I make the leap. Woot! Thumbs Up

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Yay HTPC upgrade! Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
So, I've been struggling along with a Pentium D 805 @ 2.6ghz, and a Radeon X1950 pro. The D can't run avisynth (No limitedsharpenfaster Sad) and it plus that card wouldn't be able to do bluray.

But, thanks to work (and the fact that I own the business... err) I'm going to swap components around.

-Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8 (a bit less than twice as fast as the D... I just couldn't justify robbing the Core2Quad from my new engineer Smile)
-Radeon HD 4850

Hopefully I can get some LimitedSharpen going on (without having to preprocess, though I've finally worked out a procedure for that) and be ready for BD when I make the leap. Woot! Thumbs Up

See old stuff is good Mr. Green Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Yay HTPC upgrade! Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
perisoft wrote:

-Radeon HD 4850

Sure, I'll throw in the 40mb MFM drive from my 286... I can store ten seconds of HD on it, and play it back at one frame every minute! Razz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Yay HTPC upgrade! Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
perisoft wrote:

-Radeon HD 4850

Sure, I'll throw in the 40mb MFM drive from my 286... I can store ten seconds of HD on it, and play it back at one frame every minute! Razz

LOL

this is fun!

I have a 40 meg MFM in my 386. Maybe I should fire that up again. It ran from 1990 to 2005. I just decided to use a proper router in its place ( it weas formerly a server at a company before I got it in 1997 ) I was running FreeSCO on it. Cool little program.

CRT.

HD done right!
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love those MFM drives. I'd love them more if the one with a lot of my early programming efforts hadn't packed up and gone home (at the time when enough floppies to back it up would have broken my bank ten times over).

But, yeah. You've gotta love a data storage device that sounds like a cement truck going down a 20% grade when you turn it off.

PS: I use a Mac Classic as a 'digital picture frame'. I got respect for the old school, my friend - I just got respect for the NEW school, too!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old MFM drive that when the stepper motor would kick in, it would shake the table.

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
I had an old MFM drive that when the stepper motor would kick in, it would shake the table.

Mike

Now THAT's built!

CRT.

HD done right!
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

Mike

Now THAT's built!

Yep, and you were lucky if it would survive if there was a power failure, or if your computer got bumped in the side while it was running. It cost as much as a used car, weighed as much as a blender, and had a handwritten list of bad sectors taped to the top.

Good old days? 'Built to last'? I don't think so... Wink

...aaanyway, a preliminary install on the new machine suggests I may finally reach the holy grail of realtime limitedsharpen on upscaled content. And the extra disk space should give me a total online capacity approaching 2tb, which will be plenty for storing the BDs I buy and keeping a queue of Netflix'd stuff ready to go when family responsibilities happen to drop away for an evening.

Now I just need to fix up the 808's astig and get the thing fully resolving 960p, and I'll be a happy boy! Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these for my HTPC boot drive. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=459

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the HTPC on 24/7, so no reason for fast drives, really. Would be nice for gaming, but not necessary.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
I just got one of these for my HTPC boot drive. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Mike

I've been looking into solid state drives for my boot drive as they are much faster than anything else out there.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_core_series_v2_sata_ii_2_5-ssd

Chris.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttall_chris wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

Mike

I've been looking into solid state drives for my boot drive as they are much faster than anything else out there.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_core_series_v2_sata_ii_2_5-ssd

Chris.

Prices on SSD have been falling like a rock. I've come close to pulling the trigger a couple of times. I saw a review where someone raid 0'd 2 of the faster ones and said Vista booted in 7 seconds.

I'm sure it ignores the initial post, but that's damn near a STB.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
nuttall_chris wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

Mike

Chris.

Prices on SSD have been falling like a rock. I've come close to pulling the trigger a couple of times. I saw a review where someone raid 0'd 2 of the faster ones and said Vista booted in 7 seconds.

I'm sure it ignores the initial post, but that's damn near a STB.

I've been using CF cards as swap space in my lap top for years. Works great. I really need to get some CF to IDE adaptors and speed up the old computers.

CRT.

HD done right!
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

I've been using CF cards as swap space in my lap top for years. Works great. I really need to get some CF to IDE adaptors and speed up the old computers.

The egg has a couple of mini-atx/itx motherboards with one built in. Of course, we're talking over a $100 bucks for it. I've got a spare 4 gig CF lying around that would look great in one if the price were less.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I really need to get some CF to IDE adaptors and speed up the old computers. <

They have these cheap on eBay. I bought a couple there, and they arrived from China in about 2 weeks, and work fine. They're pretty trivial.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
> I really need to get some CF to IDE adaptors and speed up the old computers. <

They have these cheap on eBay. I bought a couple there, and they arrived from China in about 2 weeks, and work fine. They're pretty trivial.

Yeah they are trivial. SInce CF is pin compatable to IDE spec's. (note the apostrophe )

I did see some that are for note books, have a master slave conection and support 8GB cards. I have a small Panasonic Toughbook here I wana hot rod.

CRT.

HD done right!
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR,

I got mine for $3.12 delivered. They do have the Master/Slave jumper. Here's a search pattern with some options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: