Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Non-Subscription DVR

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TechToys

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Non-Subscription DVR Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Guys. Can anyone recommend a good non-subscription DVR?
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one your provide will rent you or an HTPC.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use an older pc or buy a cheap new pc.

Then add this http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/Products/ATSC5Gold.aspx
Fusion 5 hdtv tuner card.

Then add Microsoft MCE. http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/mediacenter/default.mspx

Or

Myth Tv http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

And Rock and Roll. It's not that hard. Thumbs Up

View user's photo album (3 photos)
TechToys

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
Use an older pc or buy a cheap new pc.

Then add this http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/Products/ATSC5Gold.aspx
Fusion 5 hdtv tuner card.

Then add Microsoft MCE. http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/mediacenter/default.mspx

Or

Myth Tv http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

And Rock and Roll. It's not that hard. Thumbs Up

I just replaced my kids AthlonXP 1800 machines. I think I'll combine the memory and use that. I think I have an All-In-Wonder 7500 card somewhere. Sounds like a cool project.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that the down side of the HTPC approach is the inability to record the cable/movie station HD content (i.e. the stuff most of us want to record). For that, you need a CableCARD compatible HTPC (not Myth for example).

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
TechToys

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
Bear in mind that the down side of the HTPC approach is the inability to record the cable/movie station HD content (i.e. the stuff most of us want to record). For that, you need a CableCARD compatible HTPC (not Myth for example).

OK, this is embarrasing but I'll go ahead and admit it. Embarassed

Initially, what I'm wanting to record is "Family Matters" so I can put it on DVD for my kids. They think Erkel is the funniest thing ever.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TechToys wrote:
Initially, what I'm wanting to record is "Family Matters" so I can put it on DVD for my kids. They think Erkel is the funniest thing ever.

But you... But... You can't be... But... I can't see...

Never mind.

Smile

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:

The fusion 5 card w/ receive non encrypted QAM. Comcast here locally doesnt encrypt.

Should be ok.

TechToys

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOO HOO!!!! Erkel in 720P!!!!!
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it's up to 7 seasons !

http://www.surfthechannel.com/info/television/Family_Matters/124931/S9E21.html?aid=214624
paw

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Moxi HTPC is being reborn as an HD DVR.

www.moxi.com

I saw a couple of proof of concept boxes at CEDIA. The interface looked cool. Release in 2009 maybe? Eric said there would be no subscription. Unlike TiVO

perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TechToys wrote:
what I'm wanting to record is "Family Matters"

Wink

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't laugh too hard..But Vista Media Center works really slick...A $30 green button remote with an IR blaster makes all the difference.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I spend any real money I thought I'd get some feedback.

I decided not to use a separate computer for the DVR. My office computer is a 2Gig dual core with 3 Gig of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. I bought a Haupage PVR-150 card for a little bit of nothing on eBay. My Dish receiver is about 50 cable feet away from my computer. I ran an RG6 with RCA ends from the composite out of the Dish to the composite in of the 150. I ran a separate set of cable for audio but got quite a bit of ground hum so I had to get a noise choke for that.

On the software side I've tried a couple of PVR programs and have decided on Snapstream BeyondTV for $70. I also like VideoRedo TV suite to edit the files quickly and burn DVDs. I'll round it all off with a Serial UIRT to control the Dish box.

I'm still using the trial versions of the software but if I buy them I'll have about $225 in this project (not counting the cable I already had). That is not much cheaper than something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILIPS-DVD-RECORDER-WITH-160GB-DVR-RETAILS-399-99_W0QQitemZ120316587885QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120316587885&_trkparms=72%3A1406%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

but I'd think I'd have more control and better quality with the PC. What do you think?

Also, as a separate question. Why is that legal? I can't go redbox a DVD for 99 cents and copy it. I mean, I can but it isn't legal. It is PERFECTLY legal for me to record broadcast, cable, even HBO and make a HUGE DVD library as long as I don't share it with my friends. I understand the concept of time-shifting but it just seems like it should be illegal if the rat-bastard lobbyist . . . er . . . the representitives of the MPAA had anything to do with it.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT. Before I get the flame about the "better quality" statement. I know its only a copy of 480i and won't be anywhere near as good as 480P off a DVD or 1080P off of BluRay. But this will be almost exclusively for my kids and they couldn't care less. 1080P doesn't really shine on a 9" LCD screen in the car or 19" CRT TVs in their rooms.
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS legal to make a copy of a Disc that you OWN. It is not legal to distribute that disc. It is legal to copy broadcast TV. Broadcast tv is basically for in home use. It is illegal to re-broadcast or charge admission to view broadcast tv.
TechToys

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
It IS legal to make a copy of a Disc that you OWN. It is not legal to distribute that disc. It is legal to copy broadcast TV. Broadcast tv is basically for in home use. It is illegal to re-broadcast or charge admission to view broadcast tv.

I understand that it is legal. I just don't understand why. I'm also not talking about distribution. I'm just talking about simple time shifting. You have to admit that it is a pretty fine line.

I CAN'T duplicate a Redbox DVD I paid to watch because I don't own it. I CAN duplicate the SAME MOVIE I paid to watch on HBO or Showtime because . . . because . . . huh?
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
It IS legal to make a copy of a Disc that you OWN.

But not if you have to circumvent copy protection to do it...which is the really messed up part! The DCMA basically made it illegal to make legal copies Thumbs Down
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: