Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Should I make this work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woody350ep

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Should I make this work? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello everyone. My name is Jason, and I found this through the HDfury website and figured I would pick some brains before I committed to something that wouldn't benefit me. I am interested in getting an upscaling DVD player to 1080i, or a HD DVD player if beneficial. I have a Viewsonic PJ510 projector, native in 800x600. I know that in component mode it will project 1080i. Although, I am not sure about RGB mode. I have used RGB before, but I don't think it displays the res when it is on it. I know the HDfury runs in RGB mode. How would I know if my projector will run 1080i/720p in RGB mode? The manual just has res info under the Component section. I am not sure on how to do that test that it recommends to do with a video card, nor am I sure I need to do it. I understand I will get some screen door, as I get that now, but even with screen door on HD, it will be better than screen door on standard.........Thanks in advance for your input.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Good to see another northern Hoosier on the message board. Since your projector is native 800X600 unit, and has a CR of 300:1 at this point I don’t honestly think a lot would be gained on spending the money to upscale DVD’s to 1080i.

Perhaps buying a Fury with future plans of upgrading to a CRT if you have the room. You could use the Fury on the CRT then it would be money well spent. If you ever want to see a nicely tweaked CRT give me a shout, you can’t be much more than a few miles away.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You projector is native to 800x600 and that is all that is will ever be. If you hook an HD source up to it(if the projector accepts a standard HD signal), the projector will downscale it to 800x600. The screen down effect won't be reduced, it will always be the same no matter what the source. Save the money on the HD-Fury for a better projector down the road. For now just us the component inputs for HD. Your best bet would probably be 720p if the projector accepts it, 1080i should really only be used for CRT technology, or 1080p native digitals with a source that won't do 1080p but will do 1080i. (imo)
woody350ep

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I stayed in OC for a while. I am currently about to close on a house in River Park, but I think I would like to check out that set up sometime. Something to give me some input and ideas would be good for future reference.

Brooklyn - I understand the effect won't be reduced, but I know for a fact that SD looks worse on my projector than HD does, as I have displayed both on it. My projector does accept 720p. I was told my somebody one time that 720p is basically the same visually as 1080i, due to being progressive instead of interlaced. I do not know the truth to this, but I do know that my projector displays 1080i automatically from a comcast HD signal.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, HD will look better than SD, and you can do HD 720p then I would do it. If you have to use 1080i that would be fine too. 1080i is equalent to 540p technically, so you would likely be better off with 720p. Basically I was saying that the advantage of using the RGB(VGA) + HD Fury input for your projector would be minimal.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn wrote:
If you have to use 1080i that would be fine too. 1080i is equalent to 540p technically

Almost completely wrong. 1080i is only equivalent to 540p when comparing bandwidth. For all other discussions such as this one, (resolution, etc) they are not at all equivalent.

Back to OP. Your money would be much better spend on a used 720p projector with an HDCP DVI input or HDMI input. Some decent ones that would blow away your PJ can be had used for well under $700.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:

Almost completely wrong.

Where have you been Dave? It has not been the same around here without you. I mean that in a good way of course! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: