Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HT Q&A: What's the best Blu-ray player?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I got my PS3 on Friday and I was very impressed....I am worried about not being able to play the better audio formats, as I think there would be a nice difference.

Even running HDMI to my dad's plasma, I could tell the sound was better than dvd...and probably quite a bit better, and that was just being played through his tv!

The streaming required me to upgrade other things, which I haven't done yet...but I will soon.

Ben

PS. as for the gentleman who didn't like PS3 pic quality...I wonder if he had selected the right resolution. By default it's not set to 1080i...and the same thing happened to me. When the blu-ray started, I thought it didn't look any better than a dvd...until I clicked on 1080i, and then the pic was brilliant!
MrCRTing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: The ultimate Blueray player the PS3 Reply with quote

Hi all

I cannot recommend the PS3 highly enough, getting one was the main reason why I got my CRT projector.

If you are in the UK its worth getting hold of the 60GB version it's back compatible with PS and PS2 games that I have lots of, and has memory card slots for CF, PRO and SD/Mini SD, however they are no longer made / sold in the UK, we now have the budget 40Gb version that will not play PS and PS2 games and does not have the card slots on the front, why Sony did this is beyond me, a well known auction site is the best place to pick a brand new 60Gb up on but they hold a high price tag.

The games are excellent, Call of duty 4 is s**t hot on my new Sony VPH-G90 CRT PJ at 120 inches and the Dolby 5.1 Tos optical out is mind blowing bullets flying everyway.

The media streaming is also perfect for me, I have a HP proliant server with 8 Tb SCSI U320 storage capacity (yes 8Tb!) in my basement, I stream all my music (over 300Gb worth) pictures and videos (2 + Tb) from this via my PS3, though it's built in LAN port, I talk / control my server by a Fujitsu tablet PC configured for remote desktop via wireless.

I have upgraded the original internal SATA HDD from 60Gb to 300Gb meaning I can save lots and lots music, pictures and films to the PS3 and also download lots from demos to games, I can also save from my server to my PS3, also means that should the PS3 go wrong and have to go back to Sony I can swap the HDD back over and not loose my downloaded games or saves.

So to sum up its a pretty future proof unit that will be supported and updated regularly, you can listen watch and play on it, acts as a room heating system with the amount of hot air it pumps out when on, looks funky and will no doubt out sell the X-Box 360 when the price tag drops to a realistic price, it has already out sold the X-Box 360 in the UK for 2 month in a row and is set to continue as more top games and BR videos come out.

Cheers.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post MrCRTKing! I have to say, I'm not really into games but with the free game downloads available right from the PS3 itself, why wouldn't someone try some of them? Some of them are quite funny/fun to play with for a few minutes for guests to play with while you're picking a movie to watch...

I use mine to play movie trailers a lot too. People love to watch movie trailers!

Re: The PS/PS3 compatibility and lack of compact flash/SD slots on the 40GB version: I don't really see it being that big of an issue. If people have a lot of PS2 games then they likely already have a PS2 they can use. But once you've seen the PS3 games odds are nobody's going to want to play PS2 games anyway.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
The_Snowman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Don't see that you received an answer yet............ Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
well...I bought a new/used one today for 3 hundy....I'm going to set it up tonight with a keen interest in streaming video.

If I'm running XP with WM11, will I be good to go?

Ben

Ben,

In a word - YES - Windows Media Player is all you need, that and the correct settings. Familiarize yourself with this website, your best bet for any PS information, darn, I am at work and cannot get to the URL due to blocking software, anyway, just GOOGLE for Playstation Online Manual, plenty to read there, you will find the settings for WMP, under Library, Sharing, you have to have the PS3 switched on for the computer to find it, pretty easy, I did it in about 2 or 3 mins........

I picked up my second PS3 - a Region A - to be used with my home theatre - see the pictures here - http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/562844006XLzTfe?vhost=home-and-garden

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the original post a bit. I'm still recommending the PS3 as the best Blu-ray player to get in terms of price vs. performance, even if you don't use any of the other features of the unit. There are some lower priced players out there now but they don't do nearly as much as the PS3 and not nearly as fast.

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had zero problems with my PS3 since I brought it long ago, load times are fast. I can't comment on PQ compared to other BR players but from what others say in the other forum it still holds it's own against the top units available. I for one want a digital signal output that is un-molested by any processing and I'm not 100% sure the PS3 gives that.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Okay let me change my last statement. I just tried to play 88mins and the ps3 said I needed to update the sofeware. I had ver2.1, so I updated it to the latest over the internet which is 2.43 and now it won't recognize any discs in the drive. I tried a restore and still no go, power off / on etc no go. It works fine for everything else like surfing the web or going to the sony store etc, but when you insert a disc it does nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions to try, who's the PS3 expert.

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I recommend you check some PS3 forums before installing any updates. Several updates have broken things, and it's not easy to back out of them.

http://boardsus.playstation.com is one obvious choice. http://www.ps3forums.com/ may be worth checking.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewforum.php?f=18 is the PS3 forum for the Twonky media server found in some NASes and other spots.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

Thanks I'll try those forums. Great you can't even update the f--king software without it crapping out. I didn't think these things had MS OSs in them.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a problem, Walter. I've updated my software every time to the most current, and I've never had a problem with the PS3 recognizing or playing any discs afterward. Sounds like a warranty claim is in order.

Bummer.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I called Sony and their solution is we'll send you another one and the warranty clock keeps ticking from the day I bought it originally. You'd think if they were sending a new one the warranty should start over. What's the Costco policy on these units, I know it says one year but can you still take it back after that period if it breaks and get your money back like you use to be able to with other products. I know they changed their tune on TVs and computers.

Anyone know where the firmware resides in these units, it's not on the HDD.

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're replacing it for a bad firmware upgrade!?? Why can't they just go to a good firmware release? Surely the bad upgrade didn't actually damage the drive?? That's very weird....
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the tech tried telling it was probably the laser in the drive as they've been having lots of problems with them. I told him the drive was working great 5mins before that when I started the download, his reply was they can go just like that, yeah right okay whatever.

The thing that bothers me is when the bloody warranty is over and another new FW update screws it again then what. Hey you guys live in the land of class action suites maybe someone should start one, I can tell from visiting a few PS3 sights that they are alot of people in the same boat with this FW update not to mention the few previous FWs which also caused problems.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, it's not the firmware "release" that pooched the functionality. Nobody else that upgraded their firmware to the same rev (me, for instance) has lost functionality in that way, which means it's an isolated incident. That means either a hardware failure just coincidentally occurred at the same time as the firmware upgrade (it's possible), or the firmware upgrade process somehow pooched the portion of the OS with the drive controller in it (probably more likely). Either way, it's cheaper to just replace the unit with another than it is to try to field support/service it.

Walter, why would you think you would get anything beyond 1 year as a warranty? 1 year is 1 year, isn't it? The point is, when you buy something, you get a warranty that says this will be repaired or replaced for 1 year. If you want another 1-year warranty after you've already owned something for 10 months, then you're welcome to buy another.

You have to give Sony some credit - at least they're swapping it out. If it were Microsoft, you'd have to wait a month to send yours in and you'd STILL get a refurbished unit back.

I haven't looked - I wonder if there's a way to force the system to re-flash the firmware?!?!?! I'd try that before I sent it in.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there two laser diodes? One for red and one for blue? I'm thinking about how my Samsung BD-P1400 failed when it couldn't read DVDs anymore, but played BD disks just fine.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Sounds like you have a problem, Walter. I've updated my software every time to the most current, and I've never had a problem with the PS3 recognizing or playing any discs afterward. Sounds like a warranty claim is in order.

Bummer.

SC

Me too. I also never check what's in the updates. I just do them. It's not up to me to check and make sure that they're ok or not. I download a ton of stuff from the Playstation store and you *must* be up to date if you want to download anything so my PS3 has done a lot of automatic updates.

Before returning the PS3 to be fixed, why not just do a reset and revert to the original Firmware? I don't know how to do this but I'm sure it's in the manual (there's a recessed button somewhere I think).

I probably got 'stuck' updating or something so you'll just have to revert back to the original and then update again.

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb,

Yes unfortunatly that's the way warranty works, my point was it is a problem they are well aware of meaning it could happen again at no fault of the owner and then the owner is screwed for the service cost. So it's a design fault from the start, why should a unsuspecting consumer be stuck with crap like after the fact. It's no different for autos which have recalls years after the car was purchased yet the manufacturer is still responsible because it was a design fault not a normal wear on parts. Hopefully in this case they've fixed the laser problem with a redesign of the laser which is going into the new machines. Give them credit for a screwup?

I'm glad they are owning up to the problem but they should be doing it after the warranty as well in a case like this and FW screwing up the system is another thing they should be fixing free after warranty as well. Either the firmware gets into the system or it doesn't and you don't have much choice in how it does it. In my case it downloaded like it was suppose to, then restarted like it was suppose to and then it quick working properly, a check of the version showed it was at the new version 2.43 which tells me it downloaded the correct software. So because it didn't work it must have been my fault? I'm not the only one who had corrupted FW loaded into their unit, so I guess all the other poor bastards who downloaded the new FW and had their units screwed were at fault too? Right, whatever!

Kal,

I asked the tech if the FW was on the HDD and he said "oh oh yeah it's on the HHD" which of course says he knows nothing about the inside workings of this unit or probably electronics in general. I did do a full reformat of the HDD and it did nothing. I don't see anything in the manuals to reset it back to the original FW or like new starting point. If you know of anything let me know and I'll try it before I have to send it back. They're sending me a packing/shipping box for me to send it back to them in ( to BC). I'm hoping they come out with version 2.5, which was said to be out at the end of this month, so I can see if it brings it back.
I tried all the other restore PS3 and everything else in the menus but nothing changed the FW version.

Walter

drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions to try, who's the PS3 expert.

I am not sure if it was the update that caused your problem or just coincidence but the disk read error (DRE) is a widely known problem with the PS3's. I have repaired 6 units by replacing the bluray assembly. I had bought my assemblies from China for around $55 but below is a link to an e-bay auction that a guy is selling some. The first one took about an hour and now I can change them out in about 20 minutes. There are videos on Youtube that walk you through step by step taking apart the case and then another video showing how to change our the bluray assembly. Good Luck.
Dan

http://cgi.ebay.com/PS3-Blueray-Drive-Rebuild-KEM-400aaa_W0QQitemZ290264012108QQihZ019QQcategoryZ139971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Thanks, but at this time I'll send it in since it's still under warranty. If it was a DRE wouldn't it show up in a menu or somewhere, I'm not sure where errors are reported on the PS3.

I checked out the ebay site but he says ship to USA only, I sent him an email to see if he'll send to Canada. If he will I might as well have one on hand if the drives are that flakey.

Thanks

drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there are no errors displayed. It just won't read a disk. I have had some that would read a normal DVD but not a bluray or PS3 game and I had one that would read the opposite. If you are interested I may be able to get you an assembly. Myself and another guy at work had been buying the broken ones, repairing them and selling them on Craigslist for $280.00 Over the last few weeks the cost for the broken units have increased drastically so it's not really worth the effort anymore. I think the guy from work has 5 assemblies left and he may want to sell one. If anyone's interested I have 2 repaired ones that I am getting ready to post on Craigslist.
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: