Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

2 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: 2 questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal,
2 questions:

1) - Is there an auto-email sent out letting members know their membership is about to expire? If so, when is it sent out in relationship to when the membership will expire?

2) - Any way to make something that would allow a reader to sort by column heading Author is the main one I am looking for.)

thanks.

wallace

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2 questions Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:
Kal,
2 questions:

1) - Is there an auto-email sent out letting members know their membership is about to expire? If so, when is it sent out in relationship to when the membership will expire?

No. On my todo list, but has been for a good year now. Smile The good news is that you don't lose anything when it expires. You'll notice that the forum interface changes (you lost all the extra features and the ads are back) and simply subscribing again will get you right back where you were before.

Quote:
2) - Any way to make something that would allow a reader to sort by column heading Author is the main one I am looking for.)

Nope. Never seen that on any forums, probably because to me that doesn't make much sense. The 'author' column only shows who started the thread, not who posted last. If you want to find all of someone's posts, the search feature makes more sense to me as by sorting by Author you'd only see threads started by each user. Why would you want to see that?

Sorting by any of the other columns (Topic name, Replies, Views) doesn't seem logical or useful to me either. Why would someone want to do that?

By default the posts are sorted by Last Post date which is the only logical sorting to me (and likely why all forums sort this way and make you use the search feature for everything else).

Maybe I'm missing something?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2 questions Reply with quote

kal wrote:
wallace123456 wrote:
Kal,
2 questions:

No. On my todo list, but has been for a good year now. Smile The good news is that you don't lose anything when it expires. You'll notice that the forum interface changes (you lost all the extra features and the ads are back) and simply subscribing again will get you right back where you were before.

Quote:

Nope. Never seen that on any forums, probably because to me that doesn't make much sense. The 'author' column only shows who started the thread, not who posted last. If you want to find all of someone's posts, the search feature makes more sense to me as by sorting by Author you'd only see threads started by each user. Why would you want to see that?

Sorting by any of the other columns (Topic name, Replies, Views) doesn't seem logical or useful to me either. Why would someone want to do that?

By default the posts are sorted by Last Post date which is the only logical sorting to me (and likely why all forums sort this way and make you use the search feature for everything else).

Maybe I'm missing something?

Kal

Thanks.

Maybe it's me getting older, but sometimes, when I am looking for information, and I know that a particular person started a thread about the info, it would be easy if I could go the forum, and sort by Author. If I search by the Author, I'll get every thread that that person has posted to. I don't care who posted last; that is not my intention.

Example: Go to the CRT Projectors forum and search for AnalogRocks. Only a few hundred billion to sort thru.... lol

Had to ask.

Who would want to do that? Me. Sorry if it sounds dumb.........

wallace

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 questions Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:
Maybe it's me getting older, but sometimes, when I am looking for information, and I know that a particular person started a thread about the info, it would be easy if I could go the forum, and sort by Author. If I search by the Author, I'll get every thread that that person has posted to. I don't care who posted last; that is not my intention.

I guess what would be useful in the search would be a 'find threads started by' filter.

You can get close to what you want by using the search feature and displaying results as threads and filtering on the author. It'll show all their posts in the sub-forum you're searching but throw in a keyword or two and you'll find it fast.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2 questions Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:

Example: Go to the CRT Projectors forum and search for AnalogRocks. Only a few hundred billion to sort thru.... lol

Had to ask.

Who would want to do that? Me. Sorry if it sounds dumb.........

wallace

Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: