Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Room Ratio: Length to Width

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the ratio of your home theater room's length to its width?
More than 3:1
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
=/>2.5:1 <3:1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
=/>2:1 <2.5:1
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
=/>1.5:1 <2:1
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
=/>1:1 <1.5:1
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
>1:1.5 =/<1:2
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
>1:2 =/<1:3
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Its not rectangular is general shape (e.g. round)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Room Ratio: Length to Width Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
What is the ratio of your home theater room's length to its width?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for your primary theater (in case yu have more than one), and shouldn't include adjoining spaces of the room is open to other places (rec room, bar, etc.).

Also, what percentage (fraction) of your screen wall's width is occupied by the screen itself?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13x18 room, 96x54 screen on short wall... so wall is 35.7% screen. I sit 9'-10' from the 8'-wide screen. Very immersive. Love it, love 1080p.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the luxury of 10.5 foot high basment. So i used this spread sheet on steriophiles guide to home theater:

Reader David Henderson Provides a Spreadsheet to Calculate Room Acoustic Measurements

My room is in the golden ratio and i punched in room dimmensions till i found the minimal nulls and boosted frequencies.

15.5x 30 i forgot the hight.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My room is bascially a square, 25ft wide by 29ft deep, but it is open plan style, so the room behind it is another 21ft deep
My screen is 13ft wide so takes up just over half the wall. First row is 15ft from the screen.

TV/Projector: BD701 FTS, BD808s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My room quite a lot wider than it is deep 9x6 meters, a pain because the projector is squashed up against the back wall. It is better for sound like that, but the screen isn't quite as wide as I would like.

The room is actualy a complex shape, so I have devided off the theater part with an open shelving unit, that doubles as a sound absorber, and the curtain on the other side does the same job.

I live right next to a train track, so the whole flat is sound proofed to a good extent. The internal floors are not isolated, but everything else is (at least on the important side of the flat). I added fairly thick cork tiles to the floor (9mm) to add a bit of sound insulation. It stops just about everything but LFE, and it cuts down on that by a fair bit, and stops it bothering the people down below.

The screen wall is 32% screen, though it was more with the 701 due to it's much shorter size.

Richard
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the reason why I inquired about the room's width fraction used for the screen is that light is reflecting off of the screen. While there a proportion direction for this reflection, some light will get reflected onto the room's surfaces, and reflect again, and again, and again. This bit of condition acts to raise the room's ambient waste light.

Now, with rooms with screens that are, say, 80% of the screen's walls width I'd imagine a considerable amount of light reflect can occur. I notice this on my temp theater, which is 12' wide (almost like the room in the basement), and the screen is 80" wide. With drywall paper and a skin coat of contractor paint followed by Sherwin Williams darkest Midnight Blue & Purple on the walls and ceiling (and black carpeting), I see a good amount of light reflection off of those walls.

So, it is my concern when it comes to the basement. I am not blessed with a bis house and look forward to implementing crushed velvet in black on the forward-third of the room's walls, ceiling, and maybe floor, too, to help reduce this tendency to reflect light and raise the ambient black level observed.

Oh, I decided to make this a sidebar discussion.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3:1

Long and narrow room. 9' 5" wide, 7' 1" high (80" under the 4 soffits) and 28.5' long. 54x96" AT screen wall in, with horizontal masking system. The front wall is over 80% screen. Smile Front and rear acoustically transparent spaces will hide the speakers and the notch out of the front corner and help to visually balance the room.

Soffits will be covered in Fidelio velvet and the front side walls will see several feet of Fidelio also. Ceiling will be a darker purple and the carpetting selected is Kane Jaguar. I might run a stripe of solid black up front or do a black border around the room.

A few years back, EC did a quickie demo in his theater. Dark grey walls and dark grey ceiling with a lighter coloured carpet. Placing an all black IKEA area rug in front of the screen made for a sustantial improvement.

Maybe it's not perfect, but the room is what I have to work with, and is turning out far better then I dare hoped for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: