Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Capturing 1080p from the HDFury

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wimg

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Capturing 1080p from the HDFury Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

Any recommendations for a good capture card to capture 1080p signal from the HDFury on a PC ?
I have no idea which would be best and which HDFury to buy for it.

Any suggestions welcome Wink
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. There are much better ways of capturing HD then in the analog domain. What types of signals do you want to timeshift?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The input is an HDMI signal (sometimes with HDCP, depends on which channel I'm watching).
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capturing uncompressed HD via HDMI is really not practical at this time. I have heard it takes about 1tb of storage for about an hour worth of programming. I assume your trying to timeshift direct broadcast satellite or HD cable. I don't know of a realistic solution for those types of signals. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a digital HD cable and they provided a HD recorder, but it's awful to use... fast forward or rewind is extremely unstable, sometimes the whole thing just crashes and resets itself, which means you have to wait 15-20 minutes to have it sync again, etc.
My idea was to record using the HD recorder and then to transfer recordings that I want to be able to fast forward (like the Olympics) on the PC.
Isn't there a card that supports real-time compression ? Given the fact that the HD recorder can store it on disk, I suppose a PC must be able to do the same thing, or am I far off now ?
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are talking about over the air HD or clear QAM Cable (Non Premium) Home Run HD seems like a cool solution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815327005

It has 2 tuners and streams HD over ethernet. It will work with Windows, Mac or Linux. I want to pick one of these up to play with when I get a chance. Decent price too @$170.00.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The signal I get is through HDMI only. So I thought I'd convert it using the HDFury2 and then use a capture card, but that doesn't seem an option then ?
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wimg wrote:
The signal I get is through HDMI only. So I thought I'd convert it using the HDFury2 and then use a capture card, but that doesn't seem an option then ?

If your cable system provides clear QAM, by law for locals they are required to. The HomeRun HD replaces your cable box.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify it's in fact not cable, it's digital TV over VDSL, so I can't hook up anything else than the decoder from the digital TV provider.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it FiOS? Where are you wimq?

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wimg wrote:
Isn't there a card that supports real-time compression ? Given the fact that the HD recorder can store it on disk, I suppose a PC must be able to do the same thing, or am I far off now ?

HD DVR's aren't compressing anything, though. They're just capturing an already highly compressed stream (3-4 megs/second) and storing it on the disk.

There is the Hauppage HD PVR that will capture and compress HD in real time to AVCHD, but your quality will probably be significantly less than the original signal. Maybe not bad, but probably not great, either. First, you're starting with a compressed signal, then you're at the mercy of how good the component outputs are on your source (D/A), then you're digitizing (A/D) and compressing that signal (again). Not ideal of course, but maybe it would OK.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

You can also use an HDCP stripper and capture the signal fully digital with something like a BlackMagic card, but it's definitely not user-friendly as a home/CE device and it would take mountains of disk space. Definitely not a solution for time shifting episodes of Weeds.

There's really no good way to do what you want to do.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
wimg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
wimg wrote:

HD DVR's aren't compressing anything, though. They're just capturing an already highly compressed stream (3-4 megs/second) and storing it on the disk.

There is the Hauppage HD PVR that will capture and compress HD in real time to AVCHD, but your quality will probably be significantly less than the original signal. Maybe not bad, but probably not great, either. First, you're starting with a compressed signal, then you're at the mercy of how good the component outputs are on your source (D/A), then you're digitizing (A/D) and compressing that signal (again). Not ideal of course, but maybe it would OK.

I don't get this. The signal I get is indeed compressed (takes up 11-12Mbit/sec on the VDSL according to the technician) and then gets decompressed and output on HDMI. Since they compress it on the other end, can't I do the same to the HDMI signal ? If devices such as the Hauppage HD DVR can do it, there must be PC capture cards that can do it too ?

Sorry, I'm pretty new to all of this...

MikeEby wrote:
Is it FiOS? Where are you wimq?

I'm located in Belgium. The product I have is Belgacom TV, which is offered on a VDSL2 connection, using FTTC (I'm connected to a node about 200m/600ft from here).
I'm not sure what brand of decoder/recorder I have, because they put their own label on it. But it has HDMI and SCART outputs.

There's also a digital TV cable provider here, but I'm not sure what standard they follow. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a closed system too... typical for Belgium !
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
wimg wrote:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

You can also use an HDCP stripper and capture the signal fully digital with something like a BlackMagic card, but it's definitely not user-friendly as a home/CE device and it would take mountains of disk space. Definitely not a solution for time shifting episodes of Weeds.

There's really no good way to do what you want to do.

SC

I've got the HD PVR. Haven't spent a lot of time playing with it, but it seems real nice. I haven't been able to figure out how to get full screen yet(to show how much I've played with it).

Blackmagic really isn't all that great for the price. Does something like 8 bit 4:2:2 uncompressed mpeg2 encoding. The nice thing with the Hauppauge HD PVR is hardware h.264 encoding, and it is $100 bucks less. As long as the source is the same quality, you can probably get the same PQ with the HD-PVR with a lot less space.

I'm not going to say run out and buy it yet, but it seems to do the job and be fairly stable. If I develop a firm opinion any time soon, I'll post it.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hauppauge HD PVR seems ok at first glance. Acording to the specs you can do 2 hours at 5mbps so a one hour show per single layer DVD at 10MBPS wouldn't be that bad would it?

You would have to set your digital box to output 1080i though as it doens't capture 1080p

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: