Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

sony xbr

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heelsfinl4

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: sony xbr Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Thanks for the very informative and easy to follow guide on calibration. I found it very useful. Iwant to attempt to calibrate my Sony XBR 1 LCD tv, but Ihave one problem. I don't have access to indivisual red/green/blue color controls (RGB high end and RGB low end). How would I go about calibrating those parts that require me to access these? Thanks in advance
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about that particular set, but most have a secret "service" menu that does indeed allow you to access the controls you're looking for. This is the menu that ISF professionals use to adjust color balance, white point, etc. Depending on the set and how many people DIY, it may or may not be easy to find those controls.

You can probably post in the RPTV (that's what the XBR1 is, right?) forum over at AVS, and there's probably 17 people there with your exact model that can either tell you the codes or tell you they're not publicly available... or whatever.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
heelsfinl4

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. The XBR 1 is actually a flat panel LCD. I am really interested in purchasing a sony 52w4100 LCD in the near future. I noticed in the owener's manual, that it doesn't have access to seperate color controls either. Is this an issue with Sony tv's? I'm guessing that not having access to these controls would make it pretty useless for me to try and calibrate my own set. I have no idea how to mess with what's in the service menu. Thanks
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah - I've looked at those sets. They're up to what, XBR 4, now?

Practically no consumer equipment has color controls like you're talking about that are "user accessible" - average Joes would completely screw stuff up, and it would be a warranty/service nightmare. That's why those controls are always buried in a "service" menu that typically only service pros know the access code to access.

Practically any newer decent HD display will have some color controls - they just won't be "user" accessible. No question in my mind that any XBR model would have full color/calibration controls.

As for the new set, just to be sure, before you buy, ask over in the flat panel forum at AVS - there will definitely be somebody over there that knows if that model is a good buy with respect to calibration control.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the side of the set where the video connections are and see if there is a small hole about the size of a Q Tip. What is the exact model number?
heelsfinl4

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no little hole on the side where some of the inputs are. The exact model is sony kdl40xbr1 lcd tv. What would that hole have meant? I have noticed that a lot of tv's have simple seperate green, red and blue color settings. I can't understand why Sony doesn't. Thanks
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hole would of been to put the set in service mode depending on what model you have. For your model you use the remote to get into the service menu. I could give you the sequence that is probably for your set but are you sure you want to go in there? It would be the only correct way to calibrate the device but is usually for those who understand what is what.
hailtoby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know codes for more sonys? I have a 32xbr4 and it doesnt have access to the white balance like the 40"ers and above. If you can access the white balance from the service menu, please give me the code.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hailtoby wrote:
Do you know codes for more sonys? I have a 32xbr4 and it doesnt have access to the white balance like the 40"ers and above. If you can access the white balance from the service menu, please give me the code.

It should be one of two methods. With the tv off, on the remote push disp, 5, vol+ and power on. If not that try, with tv off, on the remote press disp, 5 and power on. You must push the buttons within 1 second of the next so push them as quickly as possible. If those dont work, I'll see if I have the service manual for your model.

Once your in the service menu, be very careful of what you change. You can damage you set. If one of the above methods work, I can probably give you a section of the manual which explains what settings you should have in the menu.
hailtoby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I dont think I will mess with anything except the white balance. I actually got it decent with just the regular settings. The biggest delta E is 12 from IRE30-100 IIRC. I got it really tight on my SXRD with the white balance controls, so I have to keep them even Smile. Next up after that is the Barco.
winduptoy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with picture mode set to cinema or pro. Color temp to Neutral, warm or 6500K if there is such a setting. You can use your sensor here with a 80 IRE window to see which of these is the closest to D65. They use the least number of artifact producing 'enhancements' If your test disc has a resolution target (usually black type and lines on gray background) use it to find the best setting for the sharpness (edge enhancement control) With good source material, sharpness should be all the way down. On most Sony sets I've worked on, the controls you are looking for are RCUT, GCUT, BCUT, RDRV, GDRV & BDRV. Access to service menu should be as described by mcgyver. Once you are in, use the following buttons to navigate/ change values:
1 - forward one item
4 - back one item
2 - forward one category of items
5 - back one category of items
3 - item value up
6 - item value down
to save changes - 'Mute' then 'enter'

Please write down the value of anything you will be changing before making any changes. The Cuts and Drives are probably the only things. you need to adjust. Use 20 IRE window for cuts and 80 IRE window for drives.

Be careful and good luck.

- Will
View user's photo album (11 photos)
hailtoby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver- Neither of those methods worked. I tried each twice, exactly as described. If it were to work, what would happen? Would it start up in service mode or would I have to access it through the menus? It didnt start in service mode so I also looke din the menus and found nothing.

If you have additional methods I could try, I would totally appreciate them. Thanks.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the full model number?
hailtoby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDL-32XBR4
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, lets try this. With the tv on and in standby, press on screen display, 5, vol+, TV. In the upper right corner of the screen you should see TT. If its there then press menu. You should now have a menu with service menu included.
hailtoby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no button on the remote that says 'TV.' I think I am going to give up on this TV. Like I said before, I got relatively close to deltaE<10 through the whole range. And I literally only watch this TV for about 10 minutes a night as I fall asleep. I dont think I would benefit too much from having slightly more accurate greyscale. Thanks for your valiant efforts, though.

DO you have a service manual for a KDS-60A2020? I would be interested in seeing what I could tweak, if anything, from the service menu? I know its dangerous, but Im a dangerous guy. After that, Im out of Sonys, so I promise I will leave you alone.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised that last one didn't work. That was right out of a newer LCD service manual. The TV button may mean power button. I checked my manuals and I dont have either one of the ones you want. I still may be able to get you free copies of one or both but it may take a couple days. If you want them now I can link you to some sites that have them to download for 10 to 12 bucks each. Otherwise I'll try to let you know in a couple days.

You can try the above methods on your 60A2020. They may work on that one.
hailtoby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free is best Very Happy

If you cant find them, no big deal. If you can, I appreciate it. I will try to get into the a2020 with the ways you mentioned. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: