Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Nvidia Gamma Adjustment (PDVD)

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zebu Fellenz



Joined: 21 Dec 2006
Posts: 2567



PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Nvidia Gamma Adjustment (PDVD) Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys,

I found a way to apply gamma correction when I'm playing a HD-DVD or Blu-ray in PowerDVD.

Within the Nvidia Control Panel (forceware 175.16) you have the video and television options on the bottom left side, go into this and adjust (video color settings) you can adjust color setting and also gamma, the gamma can be adjusted independent for each color and is confirmed to work with PowerDVD.

I don't see a way to do custom curves but in my setup the gamma adjustment seems to work alright without raising the black level.

Erik
Back to top
View user's photo album (1 photos)
MikeEby



Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 5236
Location: Osceola, Indiana


PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Nvidia Gamma Adjustment (PDVD) Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
Guys,

I found a way to apply gamma correction when I'm playing a HD-DVD or Blu-ray in PowerDVD.

Within the Nvidia Control Panel (forceware 175.16) you have the video and television options on the bottom left side, go into this and adjust (video color settings) you can adjust color setting and also gamma, the gamma can be adjusted independent for each color and is confirmed to work with PowerDVD.

I don't see a way to do custom curves but in my setup the gamma adjustment seems to work alright without raising the black level.

Erik


No kidding can you set custom resolutions with that version?....What card do you have Eric?

Mike

_________________
Doing HD since the last century!
Back to top
Zebu Fellenz



Joined: 21 Dec 2006
Posts: 2567



PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set custom resolutions but it is a bit finicky so I use powerstrip for that, my card is a Geforce 7950GT and I'm looking to upgrade to a 7950GX2 to get a bit more processing power while keeping all the features I have now.

I'll get some pictures in a bit.

Erik
Back to top
View user's photo album (1 photos)
yeme



Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Posts: 46
Location: Sandy Springs, GA


PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have gamma available for PDVD. I was testing a 8600GT in XP and finally was able to make gamma adjustments within PDVD.

Mike,

It also allows Pstrip-like custom resolution settings.
Back to top
Zebu Fellenz



Joined: 21 Dec 2006
Posts: 2567



PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeme wrote:
I too have gamma available for PDVD. I was testing a 8600GT in XP and finally was able to make gamma adjustments within PDVD.

Mike,

It also allows Pstrip-like custom resolution settings.


Can you explain this,

Are you adjusting gamma from within PDVD? Can you explain how this is done or are you using the Nvidia software too.
Back to top
View user's photo album (1 photos)
yeme



Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Posts: 46
Location: Sandy Springs, GA


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gamma adjustment is with the nVidia software that affects the gamma within PDVD. I never could get this to work with ATI products. An aside, the 8600GT with my single core stutters with VC-1 compared to the ATI HD2600XT. I now have to choose between ATI playback vs nVidia gamma. I picked up a 8800GT today to see if VC-1 will play smoother.

John
Back to top
Angus_rg



Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 343
Location: A planet far, far away..... Baltimore, MD


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in dire need of some gamma correction, and was thinking about letting my HTPC do it. How are the Nvidia's in comparison to the specialized devices like the RTC2200? I saw there is a PCI version on Crescendo's website, where there is no comunication through the PCI slot, but it just draws power.

That sounds phenominal since I could avoid another AV device/power cord.

_________________
It's good to be the king.
Back to top
Zebu Fellenz



Joined: 21 Dec 2006
Posts: 2567



PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard anything bad about the Crescendo products. Could you provide a link to the PCI gamma board that you saw, it sounds interesting. I'm guessing it is a passthrough where you have video in from the video card and video out to the display, right?

The big atvantage you get with the Nvidia gamma is the ability to setup custom gamma ramps, however this only works for SD sources ATM so this is a mute point.

Erik
Back to top
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Angus_rg



Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 343
Location: A planet far, far away..... Baltimore, MD


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS. It's actually the TC2200, not the RTC. They make the RTC2.... and TC16.... listed on the for sale page of this site under RGB / Component Converters. They seem to be the more popular Gamma correction device.

It's at the bottom of the page.

http://www.crescendo-systems.com/transcoder.html

It's pretty slick looking, and really is plug and play since it only uses your compy's power from the PCI Bus. It has an add on VGA slot for 13 bucks, so you can do VGA out and component out(Hauppauge HD PVR?).

They look like they have a lot of other interesting stuff as well.

_________________
It's good to be the king.
Back to top
Angus_rg



Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 343
Location: A planet far, far away..... Baltimore, MD


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the VGA add on is just a pass through and neither do gamma. That foils my plans. Oh well.
_________________
It's good to be the king.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25058
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not add an external box Like the RTC2200 or the Box1020 to do gama separately?
_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Angus_rg



Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 343
Location: A planet far, far away..... Baltimore, MD


PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably do that at some point. I like the idea of using a HTPC to keep the number of power cords and device clutter down, especially since it's always on.

I'd really love to know if anyone has compared HTPC Gamma to something like the RTC2200 or a Box1020/21/40? Or even just an RTC2200 or a Box1020......

_________________
It's good to be the king.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25058
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never get the HTPC to set the gamma just on the low end like the TSE design. THe gamma adjustment's in the drivers for ATi do the whole spectrum from 0 to255. Someone did tell me about a gama graph in Nvidia's drivers when I had the 8600 card in there but I couldn't make those settings stick.

I have a Box 1020 here for testing right now.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Angus_rg



Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 343
Location: A planet far, far away..... Baltimore, MD


PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to hearing your tests. I'll play around with my 8800GT tongith. I messed with gamma a little a while back, but I don't remember how much control it had.

It's probably better letting the rtc/box take care of it and freeing up the RTC for other stuff.

_________________
It's good to be the king.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25058
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
Looking forward to hearing your tests. I'll play around with my 8800GT tongith. I messed with gamma a little a while back, but I don't remember how much control it had.

It's probably better letting the rtc/box take care of it and freeing up the RTC for other stuff.


My Box1020 review is up in the X-Vue Products forum.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Angus_rg



Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 343
Location: A planet far, far away..... Baltimore, MD


PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Angus_rg wrote:
Looking forward to hearing your tests. I'll play around with my 8800GT tongith. I messed with gamma a little a while back, but I don't remember how much control it had.

It's probably better letting the rtc/box take care of it and freeing up the RTC for other stuff.


My Box1020 review is up in the X-Vue Products forum.


Most of the gamma examples I've seen seem to wash it, probably to show extremes when we'd want something in the middle. I don't know if I'd say it's perfect, but its defintiely perfect for my tastes.

I tried playing with my HTPC gamma for about 5 minutes and didn't get very far. I didn't see much I could control without washing the image out. I'll play with it a little bit more. I'm sure my 8800gt could handle it, but letting someone specialized do the dirty work would probably be better.

Damn it. I'm probably sold......

_________________
It's good to be the king.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25058
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
Angus_rg wrote:
Looking forward to hearing your tests. I'll play around with my 8800GT tongith. I messed with gamma a little a while back, but I don't remember how much control it had.

It's probably better letting the rtc/box take care of it and freeing up the RTC for other stuff.


My Box1020 review is up in the X-Vue Products forum.


Most of the gamma examples I've seen seem to wash it, probably to show extremes when we'd want something in the middle. I don't know if I'd say it's perfect, but its defintiely perfect for my tastes.

I tried playing with my HTPC gamma for about 5 minutes and didn't get very far. I didn't see much I could control without washing the image out. I'll play with it a little bit more. I'm sure my 8800gt could handle it, but letting someone specialized do the dirty work would probably be better.

Damn it. I'm probably sold......


Yeah the gama in the drivers tend to wash out the picture. Not too good.

Now the picture did soften a little with the Box1020 but it's not noticable in movies or while gaming. It was noticable on the desktop at 1600x1200@103Hz but who need to run the desktop at that refresh rate?

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum