Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Lighting and the rest of the basement. What did you do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Lighting and the rest of the basement. What did you do? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Since the 1200 Square-foot basement is being finished as a whole project I am also focused on lighting in the other rooms. I am thinking just common canned lighting, but since these rooms also have soffits I am going to plan for low-voltage lighting and have installed some electrical boxes (outlets) inside them soffits. I know in a couple of the larger rooms I'll have lighting boxes installed for low-profile ceiling fans, but no surface-mounted lights.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used bunch of 6" cans.

I did use some low voltage stuff for cabinets and accent lighting. But I would rethink the low voltage stuff.

My room is of the age that the bulbs are starting to burn out one after another. The replacement cost is insane for the low voltage and the 120V halogen bulbs. If I had it to do over I might have done it differently.

It's like buying a 49$ color printer... they wack you on the replacement cartridges.

paw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
I used bunch of 6" cans.

I did use some low voltage stuff for cabinets and accent lighting. But I would rethink the low voltage stuff.

My room is of the age that the bulbs are starting to burn out one after another. The replacement cost is insane for the low voltage and the 120V halogen bulbs. If I had it to do over I might have done it differently.

It's like buying a 49$ color printer... they wack you on the replacement cartridges.

We're all head that direction or CFL. With the impending unavailability of incandense bulbs. "Buddy can you spare a $100 for a light bulb?"

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paw wrote:
AFryia wrote:
I used bunch of 6" cans.

We're all head that direction or CFL. With the impending unavailability of incandense bulbs. "Buddy can you spare a $100 for a light bulb?"

Isn't this the stupidest thing you've ever heard though? Why would they ban incadesent light's and force those sh*tty CFL bulbs on us? I can't atnd thost damed things. THe flicker drives me nuts and the color makes everything look sickly.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
paw

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
paw wrote:
AFryia wrote:
I used bunch of 6" cans.

Isn't this the stupidest thing you've ever heard though? Why would they ban incadesent light's and force those sh*tty CFL bulbs on us? I can't atnd thost damed things. THe flicker drives me nuts and the color makes everything look sickly.

Electrical usage. I'm SURE it STARTED in California. Actually the federal government is not banning incadesecnt bulbs. They've just set the lumens to electrical usages (amp hours?) so high that incadesent bulbs can't meet the standards. I'd start stocking up in 2010 or 2011. The standard goes into effect 2012.

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh they are out right bannded here in Ontario soon. Stupid polititians
I must buy more bulbs. How many bulbs would a guy need for a lifetime? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................

CRT.

HD done right!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it the politician is stupid if he didn't buy stock in the company making the replacement-by-law bulbs.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use quite a few CFLs, but I do it by choice. Where in the hell does the govt get off telling me I have to do this. Just another impact of the socialization of America
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bristled at the thought of the gov telling me what kind of light bulbs to use, too but I don't think the CLEAN Energy Act of 2007 is quite as bad as people are making it. There are quite a few exemptions for reflector lamps, including BR30's and BR40's under 50w, and on 65w BR40's - all very common recessed lamps. I've got quite a few cans in my house in the living room, kitchen and even in the soffits outside. From my reading of the text, I'll be fine - at least for the foreseeable future.

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Code:
(B) MINIMUM STANDARDS- Each of the following general service fluorescent lamps and incandescent reflector lamps manufactured after the effective date specified in the tables contained in this paragraph shall meet or exceed the following lamp efficacy and CRI standards:

`INCANDESCENT REFLECTOR LAMPS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nominal Lamp Wattage - Minimum Average Lamp Efficacy (LPW) - Effective Date (Period of Months)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 40-50                 10.5                                  36                               
 51-66                 11.0                                  36                               
 67-85                 12.5                                  36                               
 86-115                14.0                                  36                               
116-155                14.5                                  36                               
156-205                15.0                                  36                               

`(C) EXEMPTIONS- The standards specified in subparagraph (B) shall not apply to the following types of incandescent reflector lamps:

`(i) Lamps rated at 50 watts or less that are ER30, BR30, BR40, or ER40 lamps.

`(ii) Lamps rated at 65 watts that are BR30, BR40, or ER40 lamps.

`(iii) R20 incandescent reflector lamps rated 45 watts or less.

`(D) EFFECTIVE DATES-

`(i) ER, BR, AND BPAR LAMPS- The standards specified in subparagraph (B) shall apply with respect to ER incandescent reflector lamps, BR incandescent reflector lamps, BPAR incandescent reflector lamps, and similar bulb shapes on and after January 1, 2008.

`(ii) LAMPS BETWEEN 2.25-2.75 INCHES IN DIAMETER- The standards specified in subparagraph (B) shall apply with respect to incandescent reflector lamps with a diameter of more than 2.25 inches, but not more than 2.75 inches, on and after January 1, 2008.'.

I think all the reflector lamps in recessed fixtures in my house fit into those described in sub-section C, paragraphs i and ii. I actually wanted some smaller fixtures, but that's what the builder put in. It's not bad because I have high ceilings. For the basement finish though, I'm thinking about using some smaller R20-based cans in the basement because I'll have pretty low ceilings down there.

If anybody wants to try to read the legal BS in the legislation, it's here:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c110:5:./temp/~c1102IB4px:e106831:

I'm hoping that by the time they come for the recessed lamps too, there will be an affordable high-quality dimmable LED-based alternative with a color temp similar to a nice quality tungsten bulb. There are a few options now, but they're expensive and aren't all dimmable. Last time I looked, it would cost me about $1200 to replace my 30-odd incandescent bulbs with LED-based lamps. Yeah... I'll get right on that.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck I already use CFLs in my kitchen reflector lights. I have no problem with CFLs, other than finding dimmable ones that do not cost an arm and a leg.

I just do not think that mandating their use is the roll of our govt.

Look, if you want to do incentives, great. Personally I don't need it as I see the incentive in what I am paying both in electricity and in not having to replace bulbs nearly as often. But this is absolutely overstepping the boundaries of what the govt should be doing.

I am really looking forward to the time when afforable and LED go together. This is an even better solution than CFLs.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I admit to not taking into consideration the departure of incandescent lamp. As such, I'll need to take this into consideration. I think for general purpose lighting I can come up with something creative in terms of either a higher multiplicity of lower-wattage incandescent lamps, or a diffusion of low-watt incandescent and CFLs or something else.

Of course, I am still undecided if I want to insulate and drywall the ceilings. No, I am not interested in a hung ceiling (8.75'), but rather after seeing someone else's basement+HT solution I became aware to the alternatives. Like many darker environments where low-wattage soft lighting solutions are employed, I am seriously considering drywalling up to 8.5' on the walls and hitting everything above that with flat black paint.

With low-wattage soft lighting (tiny ceiling lights hanging down below the joist cavity horizon, wall sconces, and table lamps) the ceiling tends to disappear into a black void. Some will say this this is undesirable, but until you have seen/heard it in real application ... Smile

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Ok, I admit to not taking into consideration the departure of incandescent lamp. As such, I'll need to take this into consideration. I think for general purpose lighting I can come up with something creative in terms of either a higher multiplicity of lower-wattage incandescent lamps, or a diffusion of low-watt incandescent and CFLs or something else.

Of course, I am still undecided if I want to insulate and drywall the ceilings. No, I am not interested in a hung ceiling (8.75'), but rather after seeing someone else's basement+HT solution I became aware to the alternatives. Like many darker environments where low-wattage soft lighting solutions are employed, I am seriously considering drywalling up to 8.5' on the walls and hitting everything above that with flat black paint.

With low-wattage soft lighting (tiny ceiling lights hanging down below the joist cavity horizon, wall sconces, and table lamps) the ceiling tends to disappear into a black void. Some will say this this is undesirable, but until you have seen/heard it in real application ... Smile

I love my flat black celing. I'd definitly do it again.

CRT.

HD done right!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this in one room, or the entire basement? Also, is the black ceiling via drywall ( or hung tile) or exposed joist cavities?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Big Lot and bought King sized bed sheets for the ceiling in my HT. It's an older house so has 2x10 joists and many many 'things' interrupting the plane a drywall install would require. I've heard many people with suspended ceilings complain of panel vibration so for as much as that method would have addressed conduit, water and gas lines, etc., I didn't want to have 30 panels humming during low frequencies. What I would like to do, when I can afford it, is to pull the staples and take down the cloth and install insulation in between the joists.

I have a bigger problem. The sound isn't staying in the theater:
I have two horizontal overhead runs of 12x10 ductwork over the screen. I framed and drywalled them but in hindsight I should have addressed the sound transfer through the ducts to the rest of the house and stuffed as much insulation in there as I could. One sub is right smack underneath the overhead ducts and the sound from it and the mains travels throughout the house. Thumbs Down
Not cool but I didn't have alot of space between the duct and the drywall to fill the air space without changing the screen height. And, I'm positive that without significantly increasing the dimensions of the boxes that I wouldn't be able to get enough sound deadener in there to make much of a difference. Still, I should have thought of it.

Anywho, I'd definately stuff the airspace between the joists with open faced fiberglass insulation. I'm thinking I'll pull it all down and cut styro strips to glue up in (without touching the floor decking above) and then stuff with fiberglass.

But for now, the sheets worked out well and don't look cheesy. And seams (and there will be) can be covered with black velveteen strips.
For lighthing I use 3 zones of 5.5" recessed cans. They're inexpensive and easy to integrate with the cloth scheme.

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
the_avguy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currenly going through the same decision making proces.
I ended up going with 4" cans that are rated for CFL's
I wanted to go cfl as I wanted to put sound proofing insulation in and some of the joists are only 2x8.
Most of the incandescent and halogen fixtures were to big and weren't rated for insulation.
The last thing I need is a fire in the theatre. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: