Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anti-Virus Software Bitch and Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Anti-Virus Software Bitch and Question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I hate that the AntiVirus companies have adopted yearly subscriptions at the consumer level. I'm used to it from a corporate level.

It is just a pain in the butt to renew at home every year and at the prices demanded. I can find a new retail package cheaper than the company is offering a subscription renewal. WTH gives?

Anyway, what is the difference between Symatec's "Norton 360 Version 2.0" and their "System Works" products?
View user's photo album (33 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO: very little. If it says "Symantec" or "Norton" on the package, run away. Those tend to be bloated monsters that really clog up your system.

I think you're better off with a lightweight freebie like Antivir, Avast!, or AVG Free. (AVG used to be the best, but they've been slipping.)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm open to Freeware or similar.

I tried one (can't remember the name) last year. It bothered me with pop ups, advertising, and I suspect some tracking back to the mother ship.

Probably chose the wrong one.

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used Antivir or Avast! but they get good reviews. I've used AVG and the only popups it used was notifying you of downloading new virus signatures. Antivir, Avast!, and AVG are the top 3 recommended freeware AV tools in the reviews I've seen.
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed over the last 3 years or so that McAfee has gotten bloated and is a resource hog. We use McAfee for Business at work and I'm finishing out a home subscription and won't be renewing for the same reasons. The problem with the Biz Version is that when an app wants access to the internet a permission box pops up but there aren't any options other than Yes or No. I would prefer it to have an option to 'Prompt each time'.
I'll have to give the freebies a try when our subscription expires.

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
Brooklyn

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used a virus scan in years without trouble, I have found that if you are careful what attachment/programs you open, you should be fine. I do run adaware/spybot every few months.
rpruen

TV/Projector: BD701 FTS, BD808s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Eset NOD32 It's subscription, but better cost than Norton etc.

It's a light and unbloated antivirus, and can be tuned off with 2 clicks of the mouse if you need it out of the way.

I have been trying it on a touch tablet I use for media in my van. With a 600Mhz celeron and 256MB ram, there isn't a lot of room for bloat (using Win XP tablet). I often have winamp and autoroute running, and it works ok, where AVG causes major pauses in playback.

There is a free trial for 30 days, so it's worth a go.

Richard
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, let me amend my previous statement: " If it says "Symantec" or "Norton" OR MCAFEE on the package ..." Smile

Brooklyn, I agree. If you're careful, AV is optional. I have NEVER run AV on my personal computer. The only time I ever got infected was one time when our *camera* picked up a virus at an overseas internet cafe. I've never gotten anything over the web.

Richard, yes Eset NOD32 is supposed to be quite good.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I haven't used Antivir or Avast! but they get good reviews. I've used AVG and the only popups it used was notifying you of downloading new virus signatures. Antivir, Avast!, and AVG are the top 3 recommended freeware AV tools in the reviews I've seen.

AVG is a winner IMO! Every year or two you need to uninstall and reinstall the newer version for free. I recommend it to all my commerical customers too. Many ISP like Comcast & AT&T offer free anti-virus protection also.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Anyway of shutting off the popups? I see no reason to notify for definition downloads. Why push it to a distracting condition?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to work for Symantec, and their product(s) sucks. I use freeAVG, Avast and WinClam/ClamAV on my machine and they work great. I'd flip a coin between which is best. AVG found stuff Symantec didn't. WinClam found stuff AVG missed. Avast was the last installation, and it found nothing, however I bet it has better odds than Norton.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have not found a freeware product that I can install on a USB thumb-drive and not have to have it run in resident memory. Thus, I have something installed on one computer in my house and give it access to all computers on the network.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: