Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FAQ: TC1600 RGB to Component Converter (with extras)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: FAQ: TC1600 RGB to Component Converter (with extras) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Note: This item is not sold or supported by CurtPalme.com! When purchasing you will be paying and dealing directly with the third party seller/manufacturer.

DISCLAIMER: Any dealings with the third party seller/manufacturer listed here, including the delivery of and the payment for goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings or promotions, are solely between you and the third party seller/manufacturer. Curtpalme.com shall not be responsible or liable for any part of any such dealings or promotions.

CURTPALME.COM IS NOT THE SELLER OR MANUFACTURER OF THESE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. THE SELLER/MANUFACTURER MAY HAVE PROVIDED A WARRANTY ON THE GOOD(S) PURCHASED. CURTPALME.COM HAS NOT MADE, AND DOES NOT MAKE, ANY REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY, PROMISE OR COVENANT, EXPRESS OF IMPLIED, AS TO THE CONDITION, QUALITY, DURABILITY, CAPABILITY, FUNCTION, PERFORMANCE, OR SUITABILITY OF THE EQUIPMENT, ITS MERCHANTABILITY OR ITS FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. BUYER AGREES THAT CURTPALME.COM SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR EITHER SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE OR ANY LIABILITY, LOSS, TAMPERING, ABUSE, DAMAGE, INCLUDING CONSEQUENTIAL AND INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF BUYER'S PURCHASE OF THE EQUIPMENT, ANY DEFECTS IN THE EQUIPMENT, OR FAILURE OF SELLER/MANUFACTURER TO TIMELY DELIVER THE EQUIPMENT.

TC1600 RGB to Component Converter

Click HERE to order today directly from the manufacturer!

To be notified immediately of any news on this product, click HERE (you must be registered and logged in).

Add a VGA (RGBHV) input to any projector, TV, or monitor that only accepts a component (YPbPr) signal!

The TC1600 converts an RGB (VGA) signal found on devices such as PCs to a component (YPbPr) signal required by most TVs. Designed by a home theater enthusiast, it is regarded by many as the best RGB to component transcoder available (regardless of price). The fact that it's one of the least expensive ones available is an added bonus!

The TC1600 transcoder was developed to be flexible and to provide impeccable visual quality. It is one of the few transcoders that has a separate color conversion for different resolutions in order to provide optimum color fidelity. Although the required conversions are nearly identical, the difference cannot be ignored when optimum quality is pursued.

The TC1600 allows you to use the RGB sources on TV's that only have component inputs!

Corrects the "Left Shift" issue introduced on some displays.
The TC1600's cable driver stage also lets you use an analog output cable of any length. Perfect for those of you that already have a long component cables installed.

Adjustable Gamma Boost: The TC1600 adds gamma adjustment to the signal for absolutely perfect shadow detail.

What does the adjustable gamma boost do?

An adjustable gamma boost is used to restore shadow detail. If you've always found movies too dark or missing detail in dark scenes, you need a gamma boost! This is best shown with real life examples:

Specifications/Features:
  • Highly flexible VGA (RGBHV) to Component (YPbPr) transcoder.
  • High-Bandwidth component output (up to 1080p/60).
  • Automatically switches between SD and HD colour spaces.
  • Adjustable gamma correction for absolutely perfect shadow detail. The gamma curve up to 30IRE can be adjusted in order to improve the low level linearity.
  • Full control of all timing functions including a full screen picture shift that can be used to compensate for a left shift caused by some HDMI converters.
  • Supports all video formats, resolutions and refresh rates, interlaced or progressive, including common resolutions such as 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p.
  • Fully transparent with respect to timing and is therefore optimally suited to drive a variety of display devices.
  • Drives cables of up to 50 feet (16m).
  • High bandwidth (>130Mhz) signal processing.
  • Female VGA connector
  • Component (YPbPr) output on three colour-coded RCA connectors. Vout = 1Vp-p when driving a standard 75 Ohm cable load.
  • Includes external US power supply.
  • Ideal for connecting a Home Theater PC (HTPC) to a TV/projector that only has component inputs.

Manual

Coming soon!

FAQ

Does the TC1600 change the resolution? Upconvert or downcovert?
The TC1600 does not change the resolution or refresh rate in any way. It simply converts a VGA (RGBHV) input signal to a component signal. The TC1600 outputs whatever resolution you feed it. Absolutely nothing is changed.

Does TC1600 have problems driving longer analog output cables? Do I have to keep the output cables short?
No. There is no need to keep the cable between the TC1600 and the projector/TV short. Long cables up to 50 feet (16m) work fine. The TC1600 has an output driver stage so it has no problems driving the typically long cables found in most home theaters. As always (with or without the TC1600 box), you should always try and use high quality 75 Ohm terminated cables whenever possible - especially if the cables are long.

Are sync adjustments possible with the TC1600?
Yes, there is a width adjustment on both H and V sync. This will help some people with displays that are fussy about the sync timings.

Pictures

Coming soon!

Futher questions should be directed to Crescendo-Systems at: crescendo-systems@curtpalme.com

-

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
beun

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post this in both the TC1500 and the TC1600 thread.

There are now two RGB to component transcoders available: the TC1500 and the TC1600. The full details can be found on this website but in short these are the highlights

TC1500

1) Very small form-factor
2) Automatic SD or HD color selection
3) No gamma
4) No left shift

TC1600

1) RTC2200 form factor
2) Automatic SD or HD color selection
3) Adjustable gamma
4) Left shift of the picture

Unless indicated otherwise everyone that ordered a TC2000 or TC1500 before yesterday will automatically receive a TC1600 as soon as they are available. If anyone is not interested in the gamma or left shift just drop me a PM and I will ship a TC1500 instead.

The current status is as follows: The production boards and cases have been ordered and I expect the cases to arrive in about three weeks, the first TC1600's will ship soon thereafter. I can assemble not more than about 2 per day so please be patient.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the TC1600 progress:

I just received the production boards and put one together . Looking at the signals on the scope it seems to do exactly as intended. I will hook it up to a TV later so I can have a better look at it. The cases are still on their way and should arrive in about a week.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the great work Kim ! 8)
beun

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update on the TC1600:

I have now done extensive tests of the performance on the TC1600 on a large rear projection CRT TV using test patterns and actual video. I had to make a few component value tweaks but I am happy to report that it looks really good. Two of the lesser used potmeters have a somewhat counterintuitive operation (turning the fine shift potmeter left for a picture right shift for example) which I will fix in the next board release but it will be described in the manual.

I will now start to pre-assemble boards so I have at least some available the moment the cases show up.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just talking to myself some more. All the parts are ordered and on their way, I did more testing with various test patterns and managed to get some more improvement. If the wife lets me I will pre-assemble a few more boards this weekend.

Kim

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may think you're talking to yourself, but I've found that for every poster there's another 100 lurkers just reading. Keep it up, I'm sure they appreciate it! Wink

Kal

beun

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last update,

Everything is now in, I have already 5 boards pre-built and I am just back from a business trip for my regular job that actually pays for the bills. In short I will shipping out the first TC1600 in the next few days and than at a clip of about 2 more each day.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last update on the status:

The first 5 units shipped this morning and I expect the last of the pre-orders to ship late next week.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news - cant wait to see it.
beun

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have shipped out all remaining backlog I think it is time to descibe the features in a bit more detail, especially the image shift.

The gamma correction works directly on the RGB input and is identical to the correction on the RTC2200. The TC1600 will accept any combination of positive and negative horizontal and vertical sync at its input.

The color conversion is correct for both SD and HD signals. The TC1600 measures the line frequency and switches to the SD color conversions for frequencies below 32.768KHz, this will catch 480i, 576i, 480p and 576p/50. At line frequencies above 32.768KHz it will switch to the HD color encoder so this will be for 720p, 1080i/60, 1080p and higher.

As shipped the TC1600 will be in native mode meaning that the H-sync is passed through unchanged and only the V-sync can be changed in width. After opening the case and moving the jumper from JP1 to JP2 the H-sync can be fully adjusted in both width and position. The TC1600 supports both left and right shift using the H-coarse potmeter and a left shift only using the H-fine potmeter. The width of the H-sync is adjusted to 1us at shipping which should be Ok for almost any TV.

The H-coarse delay is resolution independent, meaning that if you shifted the picture by 1 inch at 480p you will have the same 1 inch shift at 1080p or any other resolution. This is not the case for the H-fine shift so it is probably best to only use the coarse shift if possible.

If there are any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kim

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info Kim. I've added it to the TC1600 order page.

I've also added the official product pictures:

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beun wrote:

The H-coarse delay is resolution independent, meaning that if you shifted the picture by 1 inch at 480p you will have the same 1 inch shift at 1080p or any other resolution. This is not the case for the H-fine shift so it is probably best to only use the coarse shift if possible.

If there are any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kim

How did you acomplish this? I'm playing with the Box 1020 here and the IAC (Image Alignment Corection) has to be adjusted for each frequency.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
beun

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The delay for the H-fine is derived from a simple RC time constant. Since that delay is a constant time the shift will depend on the resolution. The delay for the H-coarse is derived from the time between two horizontal sync pulses. As that delay is thus a fixed fraction of the line width it is independent of the resolution. Of course you may still have to adjust the delay anyway because the timing of the source (HD Fury for example) may not be constant for all resolutions but the TC1600 coarse delay is.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

The TC1600 is on sale. Only until the end of December!

Full details: http://www.curtpalme.com/TC1600.shtm

Kal

af141af

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: TC1600 basic Reply with quote

So i recently bought a TC1600 Gamma Boost transcoder and this may sound so simple but i hooked it up to my system with VGA in, RGB out and clearly see a better image quality but no indicator lights pop on while it's running on the front display, is that normal? Shocked
I feel as if it needed your forum help

-Andrew
smsmonkey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew - I wish I could help, but unfortunately I believe support for the TC1600 might be limited. Kim, the creator of the TC1600, sadly passed away last week.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TC1600 basic Reply with quote

We have just learnt as well that Kim has passed away. Truly unfortunate.

af141af wrote:
So i recently bought a TC1600 Gamma Boost transcoder and this may sound so simple but i hooked it up to my system with VGA in, RGB out and clearly see a better image quality but no indicator lights pop on while it's running on the front display, is that normal? Shocked
I feel as if it needed your forum help

-Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Those are not lights. They are multi-turn potmeters meant for making adjustments to various settings such as GAMMA, H-COURSE, H-FINE, H-WIDTH, and V-WIDTH.

For complete details see the manual available on our TC1600 order page.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
We have just learnt as well that Kim has passed away.

Oh NO! Kal, can we set up a proper post on this please.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: