Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Advice Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Advice Needed Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm after some advice from you guys on how best to duplicate what I am able to view in my HT to my recently bought Plasma TV.

In my HT I have a BD808 with a HTPC and HD-DVD player connected via a basic HDMI switch (3 in 1 out) and I use the HD-DVD for both HD and SD DVD viewing.

The HTPC has a Blu Ray DVD rom installed is primarily used obviously for BR DVD's. And I use the pc to view movies and documenataires stored on my hard drive .

Everything works well, so far so good.

I just bought a Pioneer 50inch Plasma TV for normal TV viewing in the adjacent lounge room and what I want to do is be able to access my stored Docos/movies and play them on the plasma.

How best can I go about doing this?

I run Vista media centre on the HTPC and have looked at the extender path but dont really want to go to the expense of buying an Xbox 360 nor having to encode Divx and Xvid on the fly.

Would it be feasible to change the HDMI switcher to one that has 2 out ports and run a HDMI cable from the HT to the Plasma and then just use the switch to feed the signal from my equipment into the Plasma?

Does anyone have a better idea or thinks that there would be issues in doing this?

The HDMI cable run will most likely be around 12-14m long, will I suffer from any degrading of pq on a cable run of this length?

Cheers

Tim
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without an XBox or second HTPC w/ Vista, streaming is difficult. If you don't mind running a wire/and possibly extenders, I'd check and see if your TV has a usable usb cable. Many devices have built in usb ports for interfacing with media center and or file systems. I was in wally world a few months ago and they had a $50 dollar upconverting player(Philips?) that allowed access to Media Centers library through the USB port. That's a real cheap way to go, and I bet it would upconvert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: